PDA

View Full Version : Programming IDEs

Blazeix
July 1st, 2006, 12:59 AM
Hi. I've programmed under windows, but I'm rather new to linux. I was wondering, what are everybodies favorite IDEs? I'm currently using nano to program, so probably anything would be a step up. I'd rather have one IDE for all programming languages (c,c++,java,etc.) if possible.

I've been doing a little research, and I think I'd like to stay away from eclipse, it seems to be too bloated, and for some reason It has the mozilla browser as a dependency. So, any thoughts? Thanks.

invalid
July 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM
Hi. I've programmed under windows, but I'm rather new to linux. I was wondering, what are everybodies favorite IDEs? I'm currently using nano to program, so probably anything would be a step up. I'd rather have one IDE for all programming languages (c,c++,java,etc.) if possible.

I've been doing a little research, and I think I'd like to stay away from eclipse, it seems to be too bloated, and for some reason It has the mozilla browser as a dependency. So, any thoughts? Thanks.
I personally use gvim (yes I know it's not 'technically' an IDE) for all my programming. It has many features including automatic syntax highlighting, indention, error checking, and so on and so on. Even if it's not what you are looking for, it's a lot better than plain nano :)

Daverz
July 1st, 2006, 01:21 AM
Check out the sticky IDE thread.

If you want something simple, I suggest trying jed. It's even mousable if you use xjed

sudo apt-get install xjed
xjed -fn mono -fs 16

Or you can just use jed in a terminal window.

Blazeix
July 1st, 2006, 03:11 AM
Oh, geez, sorry. I completely missed the sticky. Sorry 'bout that.
I was taking a look at gvim, and its pretty impressive. I was surprised about how many syntax-highlighting options it has. I just about fell out of my chair!