PDA

View Full Version : Question About Windows Update

BarfBag
July 1st, 2006, 12:33 AM
My buddy just bought the parts he needs to build a new PC (my corruption :rolleyes: ). His computers seem to be spyware magnets (too much IE). I introduced him to Linux, and he wants to dual boot his new system. The poor guy will have a Windows escape.

I'm going to help him build this PC. Cool and all, but I really don't feel like going through the horrible, slow Windows installation process. There's no way of getting out of that. So, I want to see if there's a fix/work around to the biggest Windows annoyance - Windows Update. Don't know whether you guys have noticed, but Windows only installs a few updates at a time. You have to reboot inbetween them. It's really long and boring. Eventually (after 8+ restarts), you get to SP2 and it gets a little better. Is there a way to make everything install at once, or to get more to install before it requires a reboot?

xyz
July 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Hi-
This will not answer your entire question but try this to avoid rebooting:
Ctrl+Alt+Delete
Locate "explorer.exe" and End Process
Then under "Files" - "New task" type in "explorer.exe" and OK.
It reboots your box without really having to reboot.

fuscia
July 1st, 2006, 01:03 AM
12 pack. it's not like you have to be sober to update windows.

bigken
July 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM
just download service pack 2 and install it then run the updates ;)

G Morgan
July 1st, 2006, 01:40 AM
12 pack. it's not like you have to be sober to update windows.

Though preferably you're drunk when you use it. The only way it makes any sense.

Polygon
July 1st, 2006, 02:23 AM
my dad suggested to me that the best way is to install windows XP cleanly, dont install anything else but windows XP , sp2, dx9 and all of its updates and all that, then make a complete backup of the hard drive. that way, when you do need to reformat, just erase the windows partition and copy from the hard drive that has that windows backup. much faster.

MikePnKY
July 1st, 2006, 02:53 AM
When SP2 was originally released, I had MS send me the update on CD, and it was free of charge. I was going to post the link here, but I just noticed that now, they are charging a shipping and handling charge

Compucore
July 1st, 2006, 03:13 AM
If its the old windows 2000 pro get service pack 4 to download and internet explorer as well. Any other minrow updates you can probably do a massive update on the others. Cause I know that some cases where smaller downloads are just small files you can download all of them.

Compucore

teet
July 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
AUTOPATCHER!

http://www.autopatcher.com/

This sounds like exactly what you were looking for. I've used it several times and had no problems. It really saves time.

-teet

Edit: You should also download SP2 and install it first. Just burn a CD with SP2 and the latest autopatcher on it :)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en