PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 12.04.1 over Windows 7

Barbus2012
October 9th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Hi, guys. I got a new Sony Vaio S-series laptop with Windows 7 (64 bit) and want to completely erase Windows and install Ubuntu 12.04.1.
I have created the CD disk with Ubunutu iso image. But it does not want to boot from it. I checked BIOS and all the settings seem to be Ok (with the internal CD drive as the primary for booting). What can you advice, guys? I can create another CD, though the one I have was created (with InfraRecorder) without any problems.
And I have another question (once I figure out this booting issue) - I see in BIOS that the boot is either UEFI or Legacy. Will this give me any problems when I will start installing Ubunutu over Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

NikTh
October 9th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I have created the CD disk with Ubunutu iso image. But it does not want to boot from it. I checked BIOS and all the settings seem to be Ok (with the internal CD drive as the primary for booting). What can you advice, guys?
Hi,
CDs/DVDs are quite sensitive , especially when data burned on.
If you want to make another CD, be sure that you burned in the lower speed.

I would suggest to create a bootable Usb . IMO are more accurate.
Use this program from within Windows : http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
If you scroll down you will also see installation examples. It is easy.

And I have another question (once I figure out this booting issue) - I see in BIOS that the boot is either UEFI or Legacy. Will this give me any problems when I will start installing Ubunutu over Windows 7?

You have done good you mentioned this.(with UEFI). Although I don't think you will have any problem (cuz you will delete completely Windows) if you have , try to use this automate tool : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair (from a Live session) to repair the Grub.
In your position I would turn the BIOS to legacy.

Thanks and good luck.
Welcome to the Forums

Barbus2012
October 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Wow, that was fast! NikTh, thanks for the response. Will have the tool you mention in hand just in case.