PDA

View Full Version : Linux Jobs

rhlegion
October 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hey I've been playing around with Linux for about a year now and never want to go back to windows again ( if at all possible). I was wondering what do I need to do to get a job where I can either use or work on Linux operating systems?
Like where should I start for that kind of career path.

note: dream job is getting my CEH certification and getting a job as an White hat hacker \\:D/

but also I like java

Grenage
October 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Generally, you need experience. If you're starting out, you simply aim for the lower-level jobs, unless you've got some way of proving your aptitude.

'Linux' is really a rather large field, so you'll either be looking at corporate networks, general support, service-specific support/installation, or coding (etc). Regarding the latter, you don't need to limit yourself to a particular OS.

I can only assume you're going down the coding route, what with your desire to work on hacking and cracking.

Habitual
October 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
...Linux for about a year...what do I need to do to get a job where I can either use or work on Linux operating systems?

Sounds to me that you are doing what you "need to do" to get a Linux Job.
Try a dotcom hosting support, they are always eager...

I've been in this field for 18 years and have never had a "Linux Job".

I manage a few dozen servers in several virtual environments and all but one are Linux variations, but it is not a "Linux Job".
I have more shells open than anything else on my system. But it is not a "Linux Job".

Study the system you are on.
Study and Learn the Linux man (http://man.cx/man) commands.
Learn to fix things with and without a GUI interface.
The Linux Document Project. (http://www.tldp.org/)
Study the techniques of troubleshooting.
Study http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Buy published books, even if dated, the techniques are valid even though the data they may be referencing is dated.

I'd also like to suggest using my custom google search engine I created that searches 44 Linux-Specific sites (http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016212844476379046035:5cta2rjlwko&hl=en) all at once for anything your Linux Heart desires.

I'm in/am IT.

Peace and good luck.

rhlegion
October 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Thank you for your input, and I know that I'll have to work with more than one operating system. I truthfully want to learn them all. I guess I should have said a Job that will allow me to work with the operating system of my choice for the most part.

Also I'm still in college so that's why I was asking where to start, but thank you for the list of several good starting points for me to study.

rhlegion
October 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Also I'm still trying to narrow down my field because I'm still learning about the types of jobs available.

jen.r.magas
October 10th, 2012, 02:03 AM
There are a lot of things you can go into to leverage Linux, but from what it sounds like, you want to do some sort of systems administration - working with the system itself, not necessarily leveraging it as a tool.

Personally, I landed in programming (mostly Java & scripting), but I know quite a few folks who work on managing virtual machines for companies (administrative tasks), troubleshooting systems for end users (help desk and specialized support), or coordinating strategies for overarching systems (systems architecture). There are a lot of things you can do with it. My suggestion would be to start figuring out what kinds of things you enjoy, then take those and see what parts of the field they can be applied to.

As far as building skills, Habitual makes some amazing suggestions. The only thing I can think to suggest beyond that is to master some of the common Linux power tools - sed, awk, grep, cut, vi/emacs/nano, and so on.

Not sure how to get there? Try this: build a sandbox machine and give yourself some random tasks. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Set up a DNS server.
- Set up Apache, plus JBoss or Tomcat with an app (or five) running inside.
- Write a script to notify you every time the CPU spikes over a certain threshold average in a given timeframe; make it configurable.
- Schedule your new script with crontab.
- Identify and use alternatives to crontab.

Here's the kicker. When you're doing all these fun things, don't use the UI. Better yet, learn how to turn off and on the UI layer, and install the OS headless. That's a great way to keep yourself from cheating.

I'll also recommend stackexchange and other sites as a great place to discuss issues as you run into them.

I wish you the best of luck getting started; it sounds like you're well on your way. Happy troubleshooting!!!

rhlegion
October 10th, 2012, 04:33 AM
thank you jen.r.magas (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=731786) for the tasks you listed :) I think I'll set me up a virtual machine on virtual box and instal arch linux on it with no gui like you suggested and have some fun with it :)

And I just started with Java but so far I'm enjoying that as well so when I get a better feel for it i might go for a job in that as a possible direction

p.s. I do love Arch just for the learning aspect of it. I set up a duel boot with windows and arch on my computer and learned so much in the process.

moodle
October 10th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Hey I've been playing around with Linux for about a year now and never want to go back to windows again ( if at all possible). I was wondering what do I need to do to get a job where I can either use or work on Linux operating systems?

note: dream job is getting my CEH certification and getting a job as an White hat hacker \\:D/

but also I like java

I'm a writer. I work for myself, and I use Xubuntu every day, for almost everything.

Setting up your own business gives you lots of freedom in how you set up your computer.