PDA

View Full Version : Highest, fastest freefall attempt @ 12:00 UTC today

mips
October 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Baumgartner

October 9, 2012 has been set for Baumgartner to attempt to go supersonic when he jumps from a record altitude of 23 miles (37 km) over New Mexico.[19] Following a bad weather forecast on 5 October 2012 the jump attempt was rescheduled for October 9 2012

IWantFroyo
October 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
He would reach terminal velocity and slow down quickly.

Of course, the atmosphere is thinner where he's jumping, so he might make it.

mips
October 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM
He would reach terminal velocity and slow down quickly.

Of course, the atmosphere is thinner where he's jumping, so he might make it.

He got pretty close on a previous jump at lower altitude so lets see what happens.

oldos2er
October 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Just been aborted due to high winds.

mips
October 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Just been aborted due to high winds.

Might be very selfish of me but kinda glad as the power here went off so I would have missed the live stream. Also safer for him, win-win situation :)

KiwiNZ
October 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Crazy, what next Bungy Jumping off the ISS ?

Crazy people, also throwing up in a helmet at the edge of space yuk and how is the carrot man supposed to get there:p

mips
October 14th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Looks like they are going ahead today!

He's in the capsule and they are busy inflating the balloon.

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

wojox
October 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM
sweet

MG&TL
October 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM
[...] how is the carrot man supposed to get there:p

I don't envy the guy, but it sounds exciting.

Kiwi, dare I ask who the carrot man is?

mips
October 14th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Just launched and now at about 9000ft / 2750m

Cheesemill
October 14th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Brilliant.

I've been waiting to watch this for ages.
Let's just hope his chute opens :)

oldos2er
October 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM
sweet

+1

mips
October 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Gonna take about another 120 minutes to get to jumping altitude.

Really cool that he chose Joseph Kittinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger) as his man on the ground, he's the only guy communicating directly with him. He must be reliving some memories at this moment.

odiseo77
October 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Exciting! Thanks for sharing.

oldos2er
October 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Gonna take about another 120 minutes to get to jumping altitude.

Really cool that he chose Joseph Kittinger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger) as his man on the ground, he's the only guy communicating directly with him. He must be reliving some memories at this moment.

I don't know if you've seen video of Kittinger's jump, but it looks incredibly crude compared to what's happening today.

Video here: http://archive.org/details/JoeKittingerDive

mips
October 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I don't know if you've seen video of Kittinger's jump, but it looks incredibly crude compared to what's happening today.

Yeah it did look pretty crude. Saw his jump some years ago on one of the channels like national geogrphic or discovery etc.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Almost 3 million people watching live on YouTube. Cool.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Anybody know if any of the international news channels are covering this (cnn, bbc, sky, rt etc)?

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Anyone experiencing streaming issues? Sometimes the connection is lost and I get just TV noise and an error message from YouTube. I hope this doesn't happen when he jumps.

sharathpaps
October 14th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I had thought that this was over.. been busy at work the last few days. He is approaching 85,000 feet just now.

To the person above me. I haven't had any streaming issues so far.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Anyone experiencing streaming issues? Sometimes the connection is lost and I get just TV noise and an error message from YouTube. I hope this doesn't happen when he jumps.

Working fine here but I'm using the 240p resolution. 480p also works for me but I have limited data so I stick with 240p. Might bump it up when he jumps to see it in HD :D

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I had thought that this was over.. been busy at work the last few days. He is approaching 85,000 feet just now.

To the person above me. I haven't had any streaming issues so far.

Thanks. I have changed to 480p and it got better. It seems the 360p stream is too busy serving too many viewers. The 720p also works well, but it has too many buffering interruptions.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Working fine here but I'm using the 240p resolution. 480p also works for me but I have limited data so I stick with 240p. Might bump it up when he jumps to see it in HD :D

I am testing the 720p again too see if it will remain stable for the jump, otherwise I will stay on 480p.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Almost 3 million people watching live on YouTube. Cool.

Surpassed 4 million already. Wow.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Anybody know if any of the international news channels are covering this (cnn, bbc, sky, rt etc)?

The narrator just mentioned there are 50 network stations, from all around the world, covering the event. I don't have traditional TV anymore, so I can't tell if they are broadcasting here.

Cheesemill
October 14th, 2012, 06:22 PM
@lovinglinux

Streaming @1080p from YouTube here with no issues.

I've just had a look and it appears that it's not being shown on UK terrestrial TV, doesn't really matter as my PC is plugged into my TV so its HD goodness all the way.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM
So far he broke the record for the highest manned balloon flight!

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Surpassed 4 million already. Wow.

5 million mark!!!!

Cheesemill
October 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Did anyone else just notice that he stopped ascending and now he's shooting up again :confused:

mips
October 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Did anyone else just notice that he stopped ascending and now he's shooting up again :confused:

Yeah, shooting up at a rapid rate but they are gonna vent some gas from the balloon to compensate.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, shooting up at a rapid rate but they are gonna vent some gas from the balloon to compensate.

It is descending now.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
5 million mark!!!!

6 million and going up...

lisati
October 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Watching some coverage on TV at the moment.....

edit: *mutters quietly* - it seems to be one of those "we'll come back to this when we have more" type clips.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
He didn't make the free fall record?????

lisati
October 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM

The coverage I'm seeing is interspersed with regular news items. He's got the altitude record......

edit: life beyond the TV & forum is calling for my attention..... :(

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM
The coverage I'm seeing is interspersed with regular news items. He's got the altitude record......

edit: life beyond the TV & forum is calling for my attention..... :(

He's got the altitude jump record, fastest free fall record, balloon flight altitude record, but the free fall time record is uncertain at this point.

Awesome. Great stuff to watch.

sharathpaps
October 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
He did not make the longest free fall record but I think he made the other 3. Not sure. That was one awesome landing :-D Soft as a feather.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Edit: Apparently not. He got the speed and altitude records though.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Looks like Felix killed Youtube, no shame though seeing as they got close to 8 million viewers! Probably another record.

kow777
October 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Looks like Felix killed Youtube, no shame though seeing as they got close to 8 million viewers! Probably another record.
I have never seen Youtube down until today. A massive feat in itself.

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM

I have never seen Youtube down until today. A massive feat in itself.

OMG, he killed YouTube.

:guitar:

lovinglinux
October 14th, 2012, 07:44 PM
YouTube is back online.

kow777
October 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
YouTube is back online.
But it will go down in history, the day Red Bull killed Youtube. I think from now on, the only carbonated beverage I will enjoy is Red Bull.

lisati
October 14th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Some coverage from the TV station I was watching earlier is available here:
http://www.3news.co.nz/Baumgartner-survives-freefall-from-space/tabid/1160/articleID/272703/Default.aspx

I don't know if the video clip will be watchable outside New Zealand (possibly not) but there is an article there.

mips
October 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Some coverage from the TV station I was watching earlier is available here:
http://www.3news.co.nz/Baumgartner-survives-freefall-from-space/tabid/1160/articleID/272703/Default.aspx

I don't know if the video clip will be watchable outside New Zealand (possibly not) but there is an article there.

That video is the official feed off youtube as used on the redbull site. Anybody can watch it ;)

thatguruguy
October 15th, 2012, 12:09 AM
The best thing said all day had to be when Kittinger said, "I couldn't have done it better myself," considering Kittinger is the one guy on the planet who could say that with a straight face.

Lightstar
October 15th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I think from now on, the only carbonated beverage I will enjoy is Red Bull.

Is that really how you decide what to ingest?

kow777
October 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Is that really how you decide what to ingest?
No. Not at all.

sffvba[e0rt
October 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Last night was so much fun and so epic... the wife and I were on the edges of our seats. Then he started spinning I was "oh <sensor>"...

Then the internet broke afterwards, epic tribute to awesome.

oldos2er
October 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM
So the unofficial speed Felix reached is Mach 1.24, which is amazing to me.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that yesterday was the anniversary of another guy who broke Mach 1?

mips
October 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Oh, and did anyone else notice that yesterday was the anniversary of another guy who broke Mach 1?

Yeah 65 years ago to the day Chuck Yeager did it in a plane. Wonder if he was watching Felix.

rg4w
October 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Yeah 65 years ago to the day Chuck Yeager did it in a plane. Wonder if he was watching Felix.
Apparently not: he was reliving his moment breacking mach 1 again 65 years later in Mojave yesterday - at 89 years old:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/15/us/nevada-yeager-anniversary-flight/index.html

lovinglinux
October 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Felix got another record...YouTube livestream viewers.

http://allthingsd.com/20121014/felix-baumgartners-crazy-space-parachute-jump-is-live-web-videos-biggest-event-ever/

The previous record was established during London's Olympics and was just 500,000 viewers.

forrestcupp
October 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
So the unofficial speed Felix reached is Mach 1.24, which is amazing to me.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. I didn't think terminal velocity is faster than the speed of sound.

thatguruguy
October 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. I didn't think terminal velocity is faster than the speed of sound.

It's not. He actually slowed down to terminal velocity once he reached the atmosphere. Terminal velocity for a skydiver has been computed between 53 and 76 m/s (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml), while the speed of sound is 340.29 m/s.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about the whole thing. She was curious about how the parachute could have held him when he was falling so fast. I pointed out that as he fell into the denser atmosphere he slowed down due to drag, so that his speed when he actually deployed his chute was roughly the same as any other sky diver jumping out of a plane.

forrestcupp
October 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
It's not. He actually slowed down to terminal velocity once he reached the atmosphere. Terminal velocity for a skydiver has been computed between 53 and 76 m/s (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml), while the speed of sound is 340.29 m/s.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about the whole thing. She was curious about how the parachute could have held him when he was falling so fast. I pointed out that as he fell into the denser atmosphere he slowed down due to drag, so that his speed when he actually deployed his chute was roughly the same as any other sky diver jumping out of a plane.
So he broke the sound barrier before he entered denser atmosphere?

oldos2er
October 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I think that's the biggest reason he jumped from the height that he did.

mips
October 16th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Yes, no way of doing it in denser air.