PDA

View Full Version : New Apple patent undermines civil liberties

yeehi
October 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
This technology allows remote jamming of iphone/ipad camera and applications:

Elfy
October 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Please link to something that is not that youtube video.

Didn't bother listening to the lad in the video - but the comments were not CoC friendly.

jrog
October 9th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I suspect one (or both) of these links explains the issue:

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-patent-could-remotely-disable-protesters-phone-cameras-7000003640/

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/19/stop_that_smartphone/

johnnybgoode83
October 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
We are blindly heading towards the Orwellian nightmare and the majority of the public do not seem to care as long as they get their shiny new tech and reality TV shows. Very soon we won't be able to take a dump without major companies and the government knowing.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
If this it a patent belonging to Apple that means other manufactures/developers can't do the same thing for fear of being sued right?

wonder if you could bypass it using airplane mode or a firewall

evilsoup
October 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
We are blindly heading towards the Orwellian nightmare and the majority of the public do not seem to care as long as they get their shiny new tech and reality TV shows. Very soon we won't be able to take a dump without major companies and the government knowing.

Or
OR
you could just not use these products. Crazy, I know.

Grenage
October 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Or
OR
you could just not use these products. Crazy, I know.

That's rather the point he was trying to make:

the majority of the public do not seem to care as long as they get their shiny new tech and reality TV shows.

Most consumers don't care about patents or legal battles, or potential uses of technology, and since most consumers rather make up the majority of consumers, change likely won't be consumer-led.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with the technology, merely its application - which is down to your locale, not apple. Addition/edit: the whole 'violation of civil liberties' angle is a ridiculous fallacy.

yeehi
October 9th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for posting those links, jrog. That is just what I was talking about.

jrog
October 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for posting those links, jrog. That is just what I was talking about.
No problem! Thanks for making us aware of the issue in the first place; I only found the links by searching the web after seeing your post.

KiwiNZ
October 9th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Discuss the technology not the politics. Refer the COC.

jrog
October 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Discuss the technology not the politics. Refer the COC.
To what part of the CoC are you referring?

KiwiNZ
October 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Clause 6

"Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics."

Community Cafe subset

"Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"

jrog
October 9th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Clause 6

"Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics."

Community Cafe subset

"Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!"
Oh, I thought by "COC" you meant the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.