PDA

View Full Version : What is a Free Lancer???

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hey Guys

What is a Free Lancer??

how can anyone become a free lancer??

greenpeace
October 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Yes, anyone can become a freelancer...

It typically means that you're self-employed, and work on a project basis, rather than having a longer-term (permanent) contract with any one organisation.

You'll have to check your local laws pertaining to tax and contractual rights, but Wikipedia has a good summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer

nothingspecial
October 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, anyone can become a freelancer...

It typically means that you're self-employed, and work on a project basis, rather than having a longer-term (permanent) contract with any one organisation.

You'll have to check your local laws pertaining to tax and contractual rights, but Wikipedia has a good summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer

Thank you..

But where can we get Projects on contract based. suppose let's say you are New Graduate and you don't have any real world Experience.. Even so can i become a Free Lancer???

If so where can i search for projects i mean any websites that might help free lancers ??

CptPicard
October 9th, 2012, 09:56 AM
But where can we get Projects on contract based. suppose let's say you are New Graduate and you don't have any real world Experience.. Even so can i become a Free Lancer???

You can try, but it will be very hard. Nobody is going to hire someone with no experience whatsoever on a freelance basis. Most freelancers who actually make it have quite a bit of credible CV to sell to possible clients.

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Ohhh Thanks for the info CptPicard and greenpeace

Jackalyn
October 9th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Hey Guys

What is a Free Lancer??

how can anyone become a free lancer??

Well anyone can work freelance. I often do, The thing is you need to work in an area that you are both experienced and able and confident in. There is no point becoming a freelance writer if you cannot write, for example, or a freelance photographer when you only own a mobile phone to take photos with. If you have a skill people want, then working for yourself, freelance is great as long as you realise you will have times when you don't actually earn any money and you don't overprice yourself.

Basically, someone offers you a project in your area of expertise and then you agree a time scale and payment. If you are wise you will have a written contract and record every transaction because sooner or later you will need to do taxes. You will also need an insurance stamp (though in the UK you can get and exemption for small earnings,) and possibly insurance.

I mostly get work by word of mouth, but people do have websites and even advertising in a shop window or an online notice board can get you work. Also look on online notice boards etc. I have got a surprising amount of work doing that over the years although I try to check things out before I meed anyone these days. Over the years I have done freelance writing, editing, cleaning, childminding, office work, teaching,..........Teaching has always been the most profitable but you don't get students all the time. If you learned how to do it, someone probably needs to learn it. If you are prepared to clean houses people are usually desperate for that but mainly go for the area in which you have expertise. One of the most interesting things I have done is to teach public speaking. Basically, if you can do it, and someone wants it then do it. Have a close relative who literally draws cartoons, freelance for a living: but he is pretty talented.

J

Peripheral Visionary
October 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Maybe see if some medical facility has a lancer (I think they call them lances, though) that has expired while still in the package. Typically they are thrown away, but if you can get your hands on one, you'll have a free lancer!

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Maybe see if some medical facility has a lancer (I think they call them lances, though) that has expired while still in the package. Typically they are thrown away, but if you can get your hands on one, you'll have a free lancer!

I am talking about Free Lance Programmers...

Are there any sites which may help freshers or Free Lancers??

Grenage
October 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Get some coding experience in various workplaces, either as a contractor or staff; worry about freelancing later on. Few people will hire a programmer with no prior projects to display, or employment to cite; I certainly would not.

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM
No no it's not for me it's for my friend he is really talented? i wanna help him so i am asking about that in particular..

MG&TL
October 9th, 2012, 11:26 AM
No no it's not for me it's for my fries he is really talented? i wanna help him so i am asking about that in particular..

Get him to make something impressive with his skills, then he can say 'look, I did this' and cue awe.

Better still, tell him to get a regular job for six months or so and work his rear end off, so his employers will write him a good reference. Or just promote him.

Jackalyn
October 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Get some coding experience in various workplaces, either as a contractor or staff; worry about freelancing later on. Few people will hire a programmer with no prior projects to display, or employment to cite; I certainly would not.

Just thinking...does he mean a Beta tester?

Mohan1289
October 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
He had been trained in the company but they put him on Bench for 6 months.. he is getting Bored during that period so he asked can i provide info on Free Lance programmers...

He completed his Corporate Training in

"J2SE J2EE hibernates Struts XML and Java Script"

That's why i am asking you since you can help him

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I am talking about Free Lance Programmers...

Are there any sites which may help freshers or Free Lancers??

Ok. I'll answer your question for you.

Guru (http://www.guru.com/)

ProjectSpring (http://www.projectspring.com/freelance/index.html)

Project4Hire (http://www.project4hire.com/)

I'm sure there are others out there, and I can't testify as to how good these are. But Guru seems like it's probably a pretty good one.

If you can't get hired and you need to add to your portfolio of experience, you may need to start your own open source project, or try to find an existing one that you could be a major help to. That's one way to build up experience. Even though you wouldn't be making money that way, you could look at it as an investment.