PDA

View Full Version : Take the D.E. challenge!

darkhatter
June 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM
When new users come to this forum asking weather to use kde (kubuntu) or gnome (ubuntu) we have nothing to offer them, so I have came up with a idea to create a little something for users to read. I call it the D.E. Challenge.

if you want to join its really easy. If you are running kde then you switch over to gnome, and if you are running gnome you switch over to kde. you can use any qt or gtk base program you like, If you like amarok you can use it while you are under gnome. The only rule is you have to start off with a *pure* system. installing both ubuntu and kubuntu at the same time gets messy. When Edgy comes out you can return to your native D.E. At that time you can right a small story about your experience.

By doing this we'll create a true kde vs. gnome thread for new users to read. This is also my way of saying sorry, because I have found myself on those 17-page long flame-fests way too often. :-\"

happy testing

~Andrew~

P.S. if someone has already came up with this I'm sorry for stealling your idea.

P.P.S I have already installed gnome. :)

P.P.P.S it doesn't matter which one you change to you xfce is included in this

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I seriouesly love the idea... unfortunently I'm running XFCE and my computer isnt feeling up to KDE (and I have run Gnome for over a year before ;P)

fuscia
June 30th, 2006, 11:26 PM
what if i run everything?

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 11:31 PM
what if i run everything?

I guess that means you have been enlightened :-P

darkhatter
June 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure then fuscia...

manicka
June 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Well, I always install pure gnome (whatever that means), then enough kde libs to run amaroK, k3b and digikam properly. I usually end up with enough kde libs installed to log into a very basic kde session if desired but never really go there, although I've been quite impressed with kde 3.5. As an ex kde guy having the kde libs installed with gnome doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Everything works seemlessly. :)

~Andrew~
Now there's a familiar looking signoff. Is this who i think it is?

P.S. I like the idea of this thread. Only subjective experiences of cross D.E's allowed :D

Jucato
June 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM
A very good idea. It's going to be a very educational experience. I'm currently triple booting Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and XP. I also have ubuntu-desktop installed over Kubuntu. It's not really that big a mess. I just realized that you have to make a new user to have an almost clean D.E. (still have to edit the menus, though).

But why not include Xfce also? It's a very nice DE and I was totally impressed by the speed and simplicity.

darkhatter
June 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Now there's a familiar looking signoff. Is this who i think it is?

maybe not I'm on cgtalk under amfantasy, darkhatter on linuxquestions, xbconnect, kubuntu fourms.

when I say pure I mean a fresh install

GarethMB
June 30th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I've kinda done this already i've decided to give KDE a 'proper' shot so i've got kubuntu installed instead. But i've dabbled with everything so i'm not quite neutral.

FenrisAbraxas
July 1st, 2006, 12:05 AM
I don't know why ppl flame and get pissed off just because other ppl don't use the same DE.

Just live and let ppl use linux the way they want!

If the user comes from windows KDE will reduce the learning curve in linux.

I don't like KDE or Gnome why? too much eye candy and resource eating DE's.

Install XFCE, enlightnemnt, *box it's better for you, more resources to be more productive and no flame wars at all.

/me *hides from all the flames that will come to me just because i don't like KDE/Gnome* :P

darkhatter
July 1st, 2006, 01:04 AM
I've been thinking about this and maybe we should wait till Edgy is released and work on some better rules

Engnome
July 1st, 2006, 01:20 AM
How about someone make a quiz about it? There is forexample one out there that will find out what Linux dist is best suited for you. Shouldn't be to hard to make one about KDE, GNOME and Xfce. There are sites that host them for free and even help you make one.

However who should make one? He/she has to be unbiased but still know about the different DE:s. I cant claim to be such a person so anyone here feel the urge to do something?

fuscia
July 1st, 2006, 01:32 AM
or how about a quiz like "find your ideal DE/wm" and just make all the results come out to be 9wm?

G Morgan
July 1st, 2006, 01:48 AM
Why not go as far as EvilWM when that starts up you have only a purple background and a clock with no context menu to open any programs. You have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Return to get a terminal open and then run everything from there.

Personally I find both KDE and GNOME to be usable but I'm finding Fluxboxes merging windows thing to be hard to live without. It's useful having a KATE session merged with a Kdevelop session for coding.

darkhatter
July 1st, 2006, 02:46 AM
just start coming up with questions in here then we can vote on them or something

fuscia
July 1st, 2006, 02:55 AM
"are you tired of pre-selected window sizes?"

woedend
July 1st, 2006, 04:02 AM
what about fluxbox or enlightenment?

Jucato
July 1st, 2006, 05:25 AM
what about fluxbox or enlightenment?

I immediately see a possible problem here (the sort of "D.E. chooser" test). Should there be a distinction between DE's and WM's. Because strictly speaking, I think there are only 4 or 5 DE's (at least for Linux): GNOME, KDE, Xfce, and Mezzo (I'm not sure if GNUstep or Enlightenment counts as a DE). All the rest, again strictly speaking are just WM's: *box, wm, etc.

aysiu
July 1st, 2006, 05:48 AM
Well, until other people post their experiences, I've created these two pages, which may help new users:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome.html
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome

RAV TUX
July 1st, 2006, 06:27 AM
Well, until other people post their experiences, I've created these two pages, which may help new users:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome.html
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome

very nice.

Engnome
July 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Very nice indeed aysiu! Now i know where to point new users asking "what DE should i use?"

But maybe you should atleast mention Xfce fluxbox etc. etc. ?

Jucato
July 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
aysiu has specifically mentioned that he will only focus on GNOME and KDE in that project of his. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=196231)

But anyone is welcome to build up a sort of similar web page that would probably also take Xfce into consideration.

Xzallion
July 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Im surprised someone hasn't created a flash version of the KDE, XFCE, and Gnome desktop environments. even just a simple mock tutorial would come in hand for alot of windows users that want to convert. That way they could just browse what lookes like a KDE/XFCE/Gnome session in flash while in windows, learning where everything is and becoming slightly familiar with Ubuntu before they format and try to install.

I don't know anything about making flash videos, but if theres a free program for ubuntu that would allow someone to make this, I would take a crack at it.

aysiu
July 1st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Im surprised someone hasn't created a flash version of the KDE, XFCE, and Gnome desktop environments. even just a simple mock tutorial would come in hand for alot of windows users that want to convert. That way they could just browse what lookes like a KDE/XFCE/Gnome session in flash while in windows, learning where everything is and becoming slightly familiar with Ubuntu before they format and try to install.

I don't know anything about making flash videos, but if theres a free program for ubuntu that would allow someone to make this, I would take a crack at it.
Frankly, I would be bored to death with a Flash version of the environments. What's wrong with what I've already presented, except for XFCE being missing?

Xzallion
July 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Nothing is wrong with what you have aysiu. Some people just don't have things click from reading, and I was offering a different learning method. But then again I just realized the Live cd's really take care of this method already, so I guess my silly suggestion was redundent.

MethodOne
July 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
Instead of a Flash simulation, how about setting up an NX server so people can try the software out without leaving their other OSes? The bad thing about that is taking up server resources and bandwidth.

aysiu
July 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM
I don't think we should bend over backwards to allow people to try KDE, Gnome, and XFCE from Windows.

I created that essay and screenshot comparison only for new users (people who are thinking of committing to Ubuntu or who already have installed a version of Ubuntu).

For someone who has yet to install any kind of Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu), it almost doesn't really matter. The stuff they should be concerned about are applications, hardware detection, burning an ISO, etc.

Desktop environment should be the last of their worries!

Even though I use KDE, Gnome, and XFCE just about evenly (I recently switched back to KDE from Gnome last week), I would recommend Gnome to first-time users, only because Gnome gets much better support on these forums. Most people assume you have Gedit (not Kate or Mousepad), and they will give you Gnome solutions for problems first.

If people later decide they want to try out KDE or XFCE, that's cool, too.