PDA

View Full Version : Chromium vs Google Chrome. (Any difference at all?)

cbanakis
October 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between Google Chrome, and Chromium.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the colors of the logo, and the name.

Did Google actually do anything?

Or did they just slap their name on it?

Not that I think its a bad thing.

Just curious.

mamamia88
October 8th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between Google Chrome, and Chromium.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the colors of the logo, and the name.

Just curious.
no flash or pdf in chromium by default. you can install both the pdf and flash though really easily at least in arch. i actually find chromium faster.

jerrrys
October 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Chromium+vs+Google+Chrome&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

Cheesemill
October 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM
This is the page I always point people to:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Chrome-vs-Chromium-Understanding-Stable-Beta-Dev-Releases-and-Version-No-140060.shtml

IWantFroyo
October 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Google's Chrome comes with Flash (and not the legacy that's in the Ubuntu repositories - Google provides newer Flash). That's the biggest difference.

rft183
October 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The sad thing is, I prefer Chrome because the icon is prettier :P

mamamia88
October 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
The sad thing is, I prefer Chrome because the icon is prettier :P
google image search google chrome icon and then replace the chromium icon with the downloaded image

ojdon
October 8th, 2012, 10:51 PM
chromium is the completely open-source project which Google use for their Chrome browser. With additions of proprietary flash player, pdf, etc, like others have stated above. :)

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
no flash or pdf in chromium by default. you can install both the pdf and flash though really easily at least in arch. i actually find chromium faster.

Pdf was the major reason I switched to Chrome instead of Chromium. I don't know about Arch, but in Ubuntu, it was easier to install Chrome than it was to figure out how to get pdf's working in Chromium. I'm not an extreme FOSS freak, so I'd rather have a browser where everything I need just works, especially fundamental things like pdf and flash.

mamamia88
October 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Pdf was the major reason I switched to Chrome instead of Chromium. I don't know about Arch, but in Ubuntu, it was easier to install Chrome than it was to figure out how to get pdf's working in Chromium. I'm not an extreme FOSS freak, so I'd rather have a browser where everything I need just works, especially fundamental things like pdf and flash.
me either i just wanted to install as few packages outside the official repos as possible. to get pdf working in chrome i just had to install a package called chromium-stable-libpdf. Not sure if that's available in ubunutu since i haven't tried.

forrestcupp
October 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
me either i just wanted to install as few packages outside the official repos as possible. to get pdf working in chrome i just had to install a package called chromium-stable-libpdf. Not sure if that's available in ubunutu since i haven't tried.

I can't find anything like it in the repos. Maybe you have to have some PPA.

mamamia88
October 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I can't find anything like it in the repos. Maybe you have to have some PPA.

pretty sure you have to download the google chrome deb and extract it's contents and then copy the .so file to the right directory in ubuntu. that's what the pkgbuild does in the aur.

Cheesemill
October 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM
You could probably extract the libpdf.so file from the Chrome .deb file as outlined in the Arch wiki, just follow the manual instructions from this page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromium#Open_PDF_files_inside_Chromium

Edit: Sniped by mamamia88. BOOM!!

doorknob60
October 9th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I want to use the PDF plugin and the newer Flash, so I figure I might as well just use Chrome rather than get them working in Chromium (even though it's not hard, that's not the reason). No problems here :)

mamamia88
October 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I want to use the PDF plugin and the newer Flash, so I figure I might as well just use Chrome rather than get them working in Chromium (even though it's not hard, that's not the reason). No problems here :)

no official chrome in arch but it's in the aur. would take way too long to download and build with every release. building pepper flash and libpdf with yaourt though takes next to no time though.

DarkAmbient
October 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Chromium is faster, and no pdf-viewing or flash-support by default. Probably already been mentioned. Personally I use neither.. but if I fly need to open some pdf in browser then there's plenty of sites that can render them for me.

forrestcupp
October 10th, 2012, 01:37 AM
pretty sure you have to download the google chrome deb and extract it's contents and then copy the .so file to the right directory in ubuntu. that's what the pkgbuild does in the aur.

That's exactly what I found out when I was trying to get it working in Chromium. Then I just thought to myself, why not just install and use Chrome where everything just works, instead of installing Chrome, finding the right libs, transferring it to Chromium, and uninstalling Chrome? The fact that Chromium is FOSS is not a good reason because the pdf libs are proprietary.

doorknob60
October 10th, 2012, 03:14 AM
no official chrome in arch but it's in the aur. would take way too long to download and build with every release. building pepper flash and libpdf with yaourt though takes next to no time though.

It doesn't take long to download and build. I use yaourt to update, and all it needs to do is download the deb (or rpm, not sure which it uses, makes no difference) and extract it and install it. It doesn't need to do any compiling or anything. Remember, it's not open source, so it's a binary :P I know libpdf and pepper flash are in AUR, but wouldn't yaourt want to download Chrome twice, once for each of those packages to update them (plus the Chromium download when that updates)? I'll just stick to the Chrome AUR package, no reason to switch if you ask me.

mamamia88
October 10th, 2012, 05:46 AM
It doesn't take long to download and build. I use yaourt to update, and all it needs to do is download the deb (or rpm, not sure which it uses, makes no difference) and extract it and install it. It doesn't need to do any compiling or anything. Remember, it's not open source, so it's a binary :P I know libpdf and pepper flash are in AUR, but wouldn't yaourt want to download Chrome twice, once for each of those packages to update them (plus the Chromium download when that updates)? I'll just stick to the Chrome AUR package, no reason to switch if you ask me.

it actually does download the chrome rpm for both. i'll install chrome with yaourt and see if it's as fast. if so i'll probably stick with that. edit yep pretty much exactly what i thought. takes about just as much time to update pepper flash and libpdf to update via yaourt. at least on my computer. and it tells me i need to install openssl098 as well. so i can either use chromium from the repos and 2 different packages from the aur or i could use two packages from the aur. wonder why chrome isn't just moved to official repos for people who would prefer to use it

AgenT
October 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know why Chromium is no longer being updated in Ubuntu? 12.10 has the exact same version as 12.04, which is of course outdated (released July 28th). All PPAs have extremely outdated packages from like a year ago. What's going on?

vasa1
October 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know why Chromium is no longer being updated in Ubuntu? 12.10 has the exact same version as 12.04, which is of course outdated (released July 28th). All PPAs have extremely outdated packages from like a year ago. What's going on?
Nothing new here. I'm in a bit of a hurry but there are several threads in the forum asking the same question.
Essentially, it's my understanding that it's a matter of having volunteers with the ability to build Chromium from code since having Chromium in the repos is a community effort.

TenPlus1
October 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
if you would like version 23 of Chromium then check out this link:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/new-chromium-stable-and-development.html

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Just curious.

they the same except for some proprietary 3rd party stuff that Google Chrome added (flash, mp3 codecs etc, PDF)