PDA

View Full Version : Strange things that have happened to You with Games...

Raavea
June 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I was just thinking about chicken soup, and my girlfriend asked me what games of my Dad's we wrecked. (I think she was telling someone on her IM list about it.) Which of course made me remember the time my Dad's Black&White CD exploded in my CD drive.

I was happily playing BW, just put the CD back in after lending it to my girlfriend to start BW up on her lappy, (so it wasn't hot or anything) and suddenly it exploded.

I'm serious, the damn thing went BANG!!! grinnnnd grinnnnd... So after some time I decided it was the CD drive, and took my system apart to get it out. The thing wouldn't open, you see.. Kept opening and closing again. So I opened it, just as I shut windows down. Then I took the shell off, unplugged me drive, and took that apart to try and see what happened. The CD was in tiiiny little bits. The largest piece was about an eigth of the cd, like a pizza slice.

Anyone else had something wierd like this happen? I find it amusing now, but it scared the **** out of me then. And my Dad wouldn't let me borrow any more of his games... ;____;

Xzallion
June 30th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Wow I have never had anything like that happen. But I have accidently put two disks into a Playstation 2, and it makes some funny sounds when you do that. It never damaged the disks though.

lapsey
June 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Even inanimate objects didn't enjoy Black & White. Honestly it did you a favour

nuvo
June 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM
One of my friends had a PS2 which used to randomly knock the disc out of position when the tray was closing, causing it to get wedged between the tray and the top of the drive with the drive still trying to close.
That took some work when it happened as you needed to pull the disc out so the drive could finish closing or turn it off and mess about with it (all while praying that the disc wasn't completely ruined).
Luckily, it was a demo disc it did it on to me and it didn't doo much damage.

It sounds like your drive was going too fast.
If a drive does that, the forces on the disc become too great, the disc warps in the drive and boom, it shatters.
If you attach a disc to a dremmel, you can make it run up walls apparently...

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
If you attach a disc to a dremmel, you can make it run up walls apparently...

Seen mythbusters? ;)

This has never happened to me... but it happened to a friend once.

Kvark
June 30th, 2006, 10:44 PM
A similar thing happend to me. I was playing Fallout when the CD player started smoking. Afterwards a horrible stench stuck to both CD and player, the CD was black and none of them would work anymore of course. But later I found Fallout in a pile of "super cheap old games we can't get rid of" and figured why not get it again and toast some more deathclaws with the flamethrower. :grin:

Another time I was playing some game I can't remember and heard there was thunder in the rain outside. So time to save, unplug the computer, phone and so on. By the time I had done that the thunder had passed. So back to the game and the thunder returned because the thunderstorm was in the game. :oops:

Raavea
June 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Even inanimate objects didn't enjoy Black & White. Honestly it did you a favour
Well, as far as God-Games go, I liked it. Never really could play it long-term, but when I finally decided I was gonna complete it, the disc went boom!

As far as PS go... The wierdest thing I did was read from the wrong memory drive, think I'd lost all my FF#, RA, and GTA saves, and go manic for a week trying to build them back up. Only to read from the wrong disc again to find they were there all along. :lol: