PDA

View Full Version : Two keys not working in XP

andy_blah
October 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I have troubles with two of my keyboard's (PS/2) keys, those are right arrow and "]" (might be more, haven't been able to test the function keys). I've tried the keys in BIOS and they work well, so I doubt it's something hardware related. What I've also tried is to uninstall the driver and install it again, however that doesn't work, still the same problem. I've tried another keyboard (PS/2 too) and it works flawless with all it's keys.

I mainly suppose it's a driver issue, but I'm not exactly sure what to do . I haven't been able to properly install the specific keyboard's driver so I had to resort on downloading an alternate driver. Is there anything that can be done to circumvent this issue?

mips
October 7th, 2012, 11:40 AM
You might be using the incorrect keyboard layout, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

andy_blah
October 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM
It's on the correct keyboard layout. Also, if it were to be the wrong layout, wouldn't "]" be replaced by another character when pressed?
What I've noticed is that when I uninstall the driver and restart, it asks for "hkntdll.dll", and that isn't present in the keyboard's driver. The thing is I cannot correct that (update with the proper driver), since it always asks for that file

Penguin360
October 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
1. Try another keyboard, or
2. Upgrade to Windows 7, or
3. Switch to Ubuntu.

andy_blah
October 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM
None of those options are helpful, otherwise I would've done it long time ago. I'd rather fix the keyboard's broken support. It used to work fine (I didn't use the PC for a while), and now after coming back I'm having this issue.

critin
October 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Check for drivers in windows updates. They may be able to help.
Also, try DriverMax--it's free and it's been dependable for me.

Turn the keyboard upside down and shake vigorously. Use an air can. There may be something blocking contact under the key even if it seems to work right.

I've never had to add drivers for a keyboard or mouse, but of course I always buy cheap.

critin
October 9th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Check this out. Google search for hkntdll.dll

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/how-to-reinstall-hkntdlldll/23a7f98f-4c23-4aeb-b2af-b1ac60367176?msgId=2cae32f2-fac9-41cc-a3cf-18da6d151717