PDA

View Full Version : Me "On Report" this morning

mike acker
October 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
uh oh, gonna get called into the boss' office!!

I tried to use SUDO from my General Use account ( not administrator ) and UBUNTU announced that not only was I not allowed to install the JDBC Java Driver but I was being put on report as well

:evil::evil::evil:

so, it'll be see the boss and sign the incident report . 2 days, no pay :(

oh well it's kinda nice being retired.

but logging this stuff is an important part of security. I'll have to learn to read the logs.
~~~
Amendment
I found the reference I wanted to include with this post: analysis of the DOE Hack
the reason i want to include this reference with this post is: the response at DOE was triggered by system change log analysis
http://www.informationweek.com/video/security/1194518768001?cid=drhome_vid__mast

Erik1984
October 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://xkcd.com/838/ ;)

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Wow. You're screwed. Mark Shuttleworth is going to tear into you. :)

I don't think I've ever used a non-administrator account in Ubuntu.

mike acker
October 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Wow. You're screwed. Mark Shuttleworth is going to tear into you. :)

I don't think I've ever used a non-administrator account in Ubuntu.

i think "best practice" suggests using an ordinary user except when doing admin tasks

i think a couple ordinary user account are a good idea: 1 or General Surfing; and another -- maybe 1 each -- for anything financial, Amazon, newEgg, Credit Union ...

forrestcupp
October 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM
i think "best practice" suggests using an ordinary user except when doing admin tasks

i think a couple ordinary user account are a good idea: 1 or General Surfing; and another -- maybe 1 each -- for anything financial, Amazon, newEgg, Credit Union ...

Yeah, that's probably the safest practice. I don't have anyone else who regularly uses my computer, and I'm just too lazy to use separate accounts. :)

mike acker
October 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
=" I don't have anyone else who regularly uses my computer,"

uhhhhh -- as soon as you open a web page: you do: the web page author

or an HTML e/Mail

or a document with VBS script in it

all modern documents must be treated as though they were executable files. in effect: they are in fact executable.

critin
October 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM
uh oh, gonna get called into the boss' office!!

I tried to use SUDO from my General Use account ( not administrator ) and UBUNTU announced that not only was I not allowed to install the JDBC Java Driver but I was being put on report as well

:evil::evil::evil:

so, it'll be see the boss and sign the incident report . 2 days, no pay :(

oh well it's kinda nice being retired.

but logging this stuff is an important part of security. I'll have to learn to read the logs.
~~~

Heh, funny. This reminded me I was reported once. Not 'put on report' but actually 'REPORTED!' I like these bits of humor--it was humor--right?

mike acker
October 7th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Heh, funny. This reminded me I was reported once. Not 'put on report' but actually 'REPORTED!' I like these bits of humor--it was humor--right?

yep -- but something to reflect on as well-- those system logs can be helpful in watching what's going on!

critin
October 8th, 2012, 01:07 AM
yep -- but something to reflect on as well-- those system logs can be helpful in watching what's going on!

Yeah, I always intend to go take a look later, but then I forget. At least it didn't say I'd done something 'Illegal' and lock me out immediately without a hearing, like windows does--