PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] downloading and installing

manners2345
October 6th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hi There.... I has been several months since I wrote asking for help. But I am back....

About 4 months ago I was trying to update my Ubuntu to 12.04 using update manager. All of a sudden I got an I/O read error!!and my laptop did a crash an burn!! Took me awhile to figure how to get to load something there was no OS if any kind on it. Had to use unetbootin to get partition magic on on a USB an reformat the whole drive. Then loaded my legal copy of Windows98. Only problem no drivers for my wireless, nor any drivers for my Netgear NIC.

I decided to put 12.04.1 in my desktop which has a 250GB hard drive with Windows Vista on it, plus a 500GB hard drive with nothing on it.

I downloaded 12.04.1, at least 11 times before the checksum was not in error, 32 bit version. Tried to load to my laptop, got error which said to use a kernel, that was compatible with my laptop. It is an old IBM R40

I am downloading 9.04 for the second time, got error, first time, finished, need to check for errors. checked the disk for integrity, one error.

Went ahead anyway and tried to install, just to if it would tell me the error. It seems have installed, and I have a wireless internet. It is not installed, just loaded live session!!

how do I get a good copy of Ubuntu

Once I get laptop with Ubuntu, maybe back. I want to put Ubuntu on desktop, 500GB.

Have to leave 32 bit Vista as daughter-n-law only familiar with windows.

THANK YOU

<email removed>

jerrrys
October 6th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Why are you even messing with 9o4? EOL 2010 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases)

critin
October 6th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hi There.... I has been several months since I wrote asking for help. But I am back....

About 4 months ago I was trying to update my Ubuntu to 12.04 using update manager. All of a sudden I got an I/O read error!!and my laptop did a crash an burn!! Took me awhile to figure how to get to load something there was no OS if any kind on it. Had to use unetbootin to get partition magic on on a USB an reformat the whole drive. Then loaded my legal copy of Windows98. Only problem no drivers for my wireless, nor any drivers for my Netgear NIC.

If you still have the 10.04 iso in your computer downloads, try to get it on the usb and it might work. Use an ethernet wire while installing. Wired works better during this critical time.

I decided to put 12.04.1 in my desktop which has a 250GB hard drive with Windows Vista on it, plus a 500GB hard drive with nothing on it.

I downloaded 12.04.1, at least 11 times before the checksum was not in error, 32 bit version. Tried to load to my laptop, got error which said to use a kernel, that was compatible with my laptop. It is an old IBM R40

I am downloading 9.04 for the second time, got error, first time, finished, need to check for errors. checked the disk for integrity, one error.

Went ahead anyway and tried to install, just to if it would tell me the error. It seems have installed, and I have a wireless internet. It is not installed, just loaded live session!!

how do I get a good copy of Ubuntu

Once I get laptop with Ubuntu, maybe back. I want to put Ubuntu on desktop, 500GB.

Have to leave 32 bit Vista as daughter-n-law only familiar with windows.

THANK YOU
<snip>You really shouldn't post your email address here. You'll get auto spam from bots. Put a space in it somewhere or change the @ to the word 'at' if you feel you need to leave it. Bots can't use it and people will correct it if they write to you. But even people can and will send spam.

Downloading through a wireless isn't dependable. It tends to slow down and even stop at times, causing errors. Hook it up with ethernet wire to the modem if you use one.

If you're using an USB internet, I don't know as I don't use them. But the faulty iso's are most likely due to unreliable internet connection.

manners2345
October 6th, 2012, 07:29 AM
At age 73 with a serious case of CRS and getting worse, it was the only one I rememberered

manners2345
October 6th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I use my desktop with a wired connection to download stuff. I have only 1 option for ISP if I had more than 1, I would have changed 5 years ago.

Now downloading 10.04 and started 11.04. Paused 11.04, I use IDM which will give me about 1Mb per minute with a max of 16 connections.

manners2345
October 6th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Just tried to use 10.04. Using unetbootin to make use to make USB flash drive. Tested said 1 error, tried to install anyway stopped part way thru said said I/O read,error, bad CD/DVD, none on system got rid of it 3 years ago. I do not do you tube, any type of video or music. about the only time waster I do is solitaire.

Wireless is about the only way for me to connect the laptop to internet.

Wife wants to surf internet!! As the saying goes if Mama not happy no one is happy!!

Tried to find how to do command line install??

If I go to update manager it wants me to upgrade, If I do that will it install it to the hard drive??

Doing live install will not make her HAPPY!!!

critin
October 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Tested said 1 error, tried to install anyway stopped part way thru said said I/O read,error, bad CD/DVD,

Wireless is about the only way for me to connect the laptop to internet.

Wife wants to surf internet!! As the saying goes if Mama not happy no one is happy!!

Tried to find how to do command line install??

If I go to update manager it wants me to upgrade, If I do that will it install it to the hard drive??

Sorry, I'm getting a little confused here with two machines. Desktop has wired internet, you want 12.04 on the desktop. Laptop has wireless internet and you can't install a 10.04 system. Live session runs okay.

If you thought you were installing 10.04 on laptop, why do you believe it's still running live? Did you choose partition, enter a user name/password at any time? Have you opened disk utility or gparted and verified the os is not installed on the hdd? Did you restart the machine after 'installing' the os? Did you have to login?

If it's asking if you want to UPGRADE, which version is it offering? Yes, if you're on the internet, it will install that version for you. It certainly won't hurt to try.

Let wife use the wired desktop for surfing the web, and you use the laptop for solitaire. You can always use a live session for that.

said I/O read,error, bad CD/DVD, none on system got rid of it 3 years ago.It means any I/O, in your case a usb.

Using command install will definitely require a wired internet.

Sorry, there's not enough info to go on to figure out why it won't install correctly.