PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Pre-installed Laptops in the UK

richbarna
June 30th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Hi folks, I live in Spain but I thought all my fellow Brits may want to know about this place :-

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

bruce89
June 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Good.

Engnome
June 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Good tip, I'm very happy with my thinkpad. However I'm doubting Lenovo will be worthy to carry on the thinkpad logo. I've already heard some complaints and when i looked at the site it said

Please note that once again dear old Lenovo have changed to an unsupported wireless chip, this time the Broadcom 4319...

So I would think twice and look up the model on the forums or something before going for a thinkpad just because it is a thinkpad and has a reputation for supporting GNU/Linux very well. ( mine work good with *BSD to :D)

Johnsie
June 30th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Please note that once again dear old Lenovo have changed to an unsupported wireless chip, this time the Broadcom 4319, but we have it working fine using ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. If you're not happy with this and want an open solution, do what we'd do and use a Belkin PCMCIA card.

Aint no way I'm buying a computer if I have to use ndiswrapper to get the wireless to work. Saying that, at least they're making the effort.