PDA

View Full Version : How do I find the network card model?

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I just installed Dapper on an old laptop that one of my fathers clients (a blind guy) gave me a few days ago (he was buying new). And I have got everything running properly (has an ATI card that gave me some trubble, but changing the driver to 'vesa' sorted that out), besides networking.

My local network uses Static IP-addresses, so Ubuntu couldnt configure networking during the install (I did that manualy in Administration though), but I have never got internet working in a LiveCD session anyway.

Anyway.. internet still doesnt work, even after the install, so I'm woundering if there is any way of telling what brand the network card is... so that I can try to find a driver for it.

If anyone has any experiance with these computers, this is the
brand: NatureTech
model: 900X

its a fairly old laptop, with an 850 MHz CPU and 256 Mb RAM.

John.Michael.Kane
June 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
This will list devices
lspci -tv

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks, it seems to be a:

Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatable 10/100 Ethernet

Strange... I had a look in the Device manager, it is listed there, and there was an entry in Avanced:

info.linux.driver tulip

I think that looks like the networkcard was detected... but is not working.
Perhaps its broken :(

Just found a link though:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186430

But it still doesnt work... looking some more...

mips
June 30th, 2006, 07:42 PM
There are know issues with Tulip chipsets. Do a search in these forums for "tulip' and you will find some solutions. Someone even wrote a HOWTO in the howto section on the Davicom Semiconductor Tulip issue.

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Yes mips, I found that tutorial and followed it (theres a link to it in my previous post :-P ) But it didnt work.

As it apears it was not only a driver error... but also a user error. I forgor to configure my DNS server :oops:

Just for fun... I'm writing this message from the lappy ^^

John.Michael.Kane
June 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Kimm i'm glad you was able to get it going..

Kimm
June 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Are you having trubble with it SD-Plissken?

John.Michael.Kane
June 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Kimm no sofar i have not had a machine with that networking card in it.

mips
July 1st, 2006, 11:19 AM
As it apears it was not only a driver error... but also a user error. I forgor to configure my DNS server :oops:

Yes, that would also explain it ;)