PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble trying to install ubuntu on laptop

locogrande247
October 5th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I have an Asus X54c laptop with 4gb ram, I'm trying to install ubuntu 12.04, 64bit version in place of Windows 7. I'm able to get into the menu but I can't seem to get the settings so my laptop will install the cd.

I don't want the dual boot mode, the version of windows has problems and just rather delete it altogether.

Besides, now I discovered wine, it kind of makes windows obsolete to me anyway.

How do I set my laptop up so it'll install from the cd? Thanks:confused:

Bashing-om
October 5th, 2012, 05:33 AM
locogrande247; Hi !

Some more info would prove invaluable to assist.
You have your bios set as cd 1st boot priority, insert the install cd, get to the try/install options screen, choose install => now how far to you get in the installation process ?
At what point does it fail, what actions are you taking ?

By the way - did you use the "try ubuntu" option to verify ubuntu booted and all devices worked as expected ?

There are boot options that can be employed if it is a booting issue.

try'n to help <==BDQ

Wim Sturkenboom
October 5th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Besides, now I discovered wine, it kind of makes windows obsolete to me anyway.
You have an optimistic nature :) Have you checked if your applications will work? See http://appdb.winehq.org/

My opinion, shared by quite a few: if you want to run windows applications, use windows.

Mark Phelps
October 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
... Besides, now I discovered wine, it kind of makes windows obsolete to me anyway...

That's ONLY true if (1) you have no desire to play MS Windows games and (2) you have no need to use current versions of MS Office.

If you're going to be dependent on ANY MS Windows apps on a day-to-day basis, then visit the WineHQ website, their application compatibility database, and look up the ratings of the Windows games and apps that you will be using. Anything rated less than Gold is not going to work well, and will be a waste of time installing.

Wine is NOT a Windows Emulator; instead, it is a hack that allows only SOME Windows apps and games to run well.