PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repeated error messages after upgradation.

arroy_0209
October 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
I upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04 nine days ago and also installed lxde. So far there had been two messages stating "ubuntu12.04 faced a problem..please report etc" and once that "compiz faced a problem and need to close". (There were also two other error messages; I forgot details.) On looking at the details I found that latest ubuntu problem was related to lx-panel (I noticed firefox window icon in the panel blinking endlessly). I am worried what to do about such repeated error messages. These frighten me. Is there any way to test how stable my operating system is at the moment? Should I do a fresh install of ubuntu?

I should mention that I had installed some programs like gimp, latex (documentation package), etc and have run sudo apt-get update and upgrade after installation. What else can be done?

jerrrys
October 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
I think a fresh install of an LTS is always a better way to go, but what you have described doesn't sound that bad. Maybe a few commands will shed a little light on it.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f

arroy_0209
October 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.

The output of sudo dpkg --configure -a is nothing.

The output of sudo apt-get install -f is:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
gir1.2-gconf-2.0 libutouch-grail1 libgtkspell-3-0 appmenu-gtk g++-4.4 libminiupnpc8 libvncserver0 libstdc++6-4.4-dev
telepathy-indicator libgwibber-gtk2 appmenu-qt gfortran-4.4 libgwibber2 libtelepathy-farstream2 libfreerdp-plugins-standard
libutouch-evemu1 libutouch-frame1 telepathy-logger python-poppler cups-pk-helper libutouch-geis1 libncurses5-dev libfreerdp1
libssh-4 libreadline5 appmenu-gtk3 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Although there is suggestion to remove some packages, I've not done yet. Firs of all I need to know if these can explain the problem I have stated.

Second concern is that now a days I try to keep the configuration as given to me, without changing anything drastically. I am afraid, modifying (by installing or removing packages) the system may face more problems. This may turn out to be false but am I right to follow this to be on the safe side?

jerrrys
October 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I can't/won't make that call for you, but these are just orphan packages and I don't see any harm in removing them. Also I don't see this resolving your problems either.

I have full backup on separate drives, so I would be able to play around with no worries. So with that in mind, I would next try (at your own risk) :

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#Maintenance_commands

arroy_0209
October 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for your reply. I want to clear one doubt: is the aim of using "apt-get clean" to remove all installed packages at this stage? and after using update and dist-upgrade commands, am I supposed to reinstall those packages? Then why not use something like "apt-get purge"?

Second, will it be useful to use command like "apt-get check"? I am interested to know if there are system diagnostic tools which can identify cause of problems giving rise to messages I mentioned. Since I am a beginner, clearing such doubts will be very helpful. Thanks.

jerrrys
October 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
The commands I gave above are basic and am hoping it may give further error reports to help clear this problem up.

But I can also see your point so I suggest that we just wait for a while and see if others will come along with any other ideas. Im going to be out of the house all day today so will check back this evening.

sigmatht
October 4th, 2012, 04:16 PM
The man pages will give you a lot of information about the different commands and its usage. Generally in your terminal you can do: man command

:~$ man apt-get

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
It removes everything but the lock file from
/var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When
APT is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically.
Those who do not use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean
from time to time to free up disk space.

raja.genupula
October 4th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04 nine days ago and also installed lxde. So far there had been two messages stating "ubuntu12.04 faced a problem..please report etc" and once that "compiz faced a problem and need to close". (There were also two other error messages; I forgot details.) On looking at the details I found that latest ubuntu problem was related to lx-panel (I noticed firefox window icon in the panel blinking endlessly). I am worried what to do about such repeated error messages. These frighten me. Is there any way to test how stable my operating system is at the moment? Should I do a fresh install of ubuntu?

I should mention that I had installed some programs like gimp, latex (documentation package), etc and have run sudo apt-get update and upgrade after installation. What else can be done?

You are not alone . I am also facing the same issues .

that better thing we all can do is restart the application and send reports to Ubuntu . that could help us to report our issue to Ubuntu dev's .