PDA

View Full Version : Kororaa / Dapper

jvictor
June 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I just tried kororaa xgl live cd today and was surprised that even though it runs the same version of Xserver , my nvidia card didnt freeze on it , and XGL worked out of the box..

Ive been trying for days to get Ubuntu run XGL/Compiz , and run the card without freezing

Finally I'd to disable AGP for the card to work stable.

However I find Ubuntu more friendly and usable coz Kororaa has some 'blind spots' that make ubuntu easier to use :) a simple eg is USB drive mounting

Just thought I'd mentionit here

mstlyevil
June 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I just tried kororaa xgl live cd today and was surprised that even though it runs the same version of Xserver , my nvidia card didnt freeze on it , and XGL worked out of the box..

Ive been trying for days to get Ubuntu run XGL/Compiz , and run the card without freezing

However I find Ubuntu more friendly and usable coz Kororaa has some 'blind spots' that make ubuntu easier to use :) a simple eg is USB drive mounting

Kororaa is basically Gentoo Live with XGL. They did an excellent job on it's hardware detection system. The problem I have with it is that if you want to update it ar install new software you have to use portage. That means that you have to compile most new software and your computer can be tied up for hours.

If you are an experienced Linux user and you are familliar with portage and Gentoo then it is probally wonderfull. For the average user it would be a nightmare to keep on your hardrive.

hizaguchi
June 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Heh, yeah, I had a great experience with the Korrora live CD. My ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 actually worked out of the box and the desktop was crazy fast. Then I installed it to the hard drive, booted up, and got a bunch of ugly grey blocks where my desktop should have been. I have no idea what that was all about. You'd think the installed setup would be at least as good as the one running off read only media.

Turgon
June 30th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I also tried Kororaa the other day, and it is nice. LOve that it automaticly detects my video-card and installs the fglrx driver (although it violates the GPL license). XGL is working right out of the box and the preformance was very good, actualy better than ubuntu+xgl installed. I hope the devs can get some of this great stuff into Edgy!

richbarna
July 1st, 2006, 01:51 AM
I also tried Kororaa the other day, and it is nice. LOve that it automaticly detects my video-card and installs the fglrx driver (although it violates the GPL license). XGL is working right out of the box and the preformance was very good, actualy better than ubuntu+xgl installed. I hope the devs can get some of this great stuff into Edgy!

I put Xgl/Compiz on my Ubuntu, all went fine (nVidia card), after a week I got bored and took it off.

I would prefer it if the developers stuck to basic usage, like being able to get USB devices to work, ie Sony video cameras, webcams, printers.

I know the problem is caused by proprietry drivers (lack of), but I think that hardware recognition is far more important than 3d spinny cube, floppy window, desktop toys.

I used to like all the flashy stuff, now I just want things to work.

jvictor
July 1st, 2006, 07:58 AM
Kororaa is basically Gentoo Live with XGL. They did an excellent job on it's hardware detection system.

IMHO the hardware detection part is good with Ubntu, but this appears as a problem at Xserver level where my card freezes on Xserver with AGP enabled and doesnt if I use Xgl..

Im not v keen on eye candy I want a stable system that 'works' well and doesnt remind me of Win-95

RAV TUX
July 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM

Sounds great but shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Other Linux Talk" forum?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147