PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Linux 3.6

mike acker
October 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
another n00b question,.....

is this the right place to watch to see which version of Ubuntu will incorporate the updated 3.6 LINUX Kernel ?

dargaud
October 2nd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Not really. It doesn't really matter what kernel version your are using unless: you have a specific driver bug / security issue fixed in the latest one, OR you are waiting for some new advanced feature, but the latter is unlikely if you are a noob. Unless you have a brand new PC with some as yet unsupported hardware.

rai4shu2
October 2nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think you might be looking for this:

http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/versions.html

snowpine
October 2nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Probably no Ubuntu release will use 3.6 as its default kernel. 12.10 is scheduled to release with 3.5, and by April when 13.04 comes out, the kernel will probably be up to 3.7 or 3.8.

However you can install any kernel you like, in several different ways. Let me know if you need help with this.

Frogs Hair
October 2nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
The 12.10 Kernel freeze is Oct. 4th , so there is two only days for the 3.6 kernel to make into 12.10 if things go as scheduled.

oldos2er
October 2nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
3.6 kernel is here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6-quantal/

Use at your own risk.

mike acker
October 3rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Probably no Ubuntu release will use 3.6 as its default kernel. 12.10 is scheduled to release with 3.5, and by April when 13.04 comes out, the kernel will probably be up to 3.7 or 3.8.

However you can install any kernel you like, in several different ways. Let me know if you need help with this.

I'm expecting the last of the parts for my Ubox project tw.

I'm installing this on a AMD M5A88-M mother board with Phenom II quad core CPU. The board supports USB 3.0 ( 2 ports ) -- and RAID.

I ordered 2 Seagate Baracuda drives ... we'll see if I can activate RAID0 on this

the board came with a service CD -- but for Windows. Fortunately a lot of the stuff I can do with the board is via the onboard setup menus.

I'm going to get brave and put the CPU and CPU fan stuff together tw. I got the Motherboard installed today,-- that I/O shield was a PITA