PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problem with grub.cfg

potzdonner
October 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm running Ubuntu and Windows 7 on a dual boot system. when I start the system windows is on first position in the grub menu and if I don't make a selection windows in booted by default. the problem is, the last times Ubuntu was updated this order was changed. I could fix the problem by editing the file grub.cfg but this file should not be edited. Need suggestions to keep the order in the grub menu.

dino99
October 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
you can:
- boot on ubuntu
- then purge grub-pc via synaptic (or terminal)
- logout/in
- then reinstall grub-pc, to put it on mbr

or use grub-customizer (from ppa)

Mark Phelps
October 2nd, 2012, 08:20 PM
+1 for Grub-Customizer. Will give you a GUI that allows you to modify preferences, LOTS of them.

potzdonner
October 5th, 2012, 08:58 AM
+1 for Grub-Customizer. Will give you a GUI that allows you to modify preferences, LOTS of them.

ok, it seems there is no solution to keep the order without editing with vi or a gui.

Wim Sturkenboom
October 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Of course there is :)

First file to look at would be /etc/default/grub. And there are a few others that I can't remember straight away (maybe in /etc/grub); they start with 00, 10, 20 etc

After editing, run sudo update-grub; that will regenerate /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

// Edit
Found them; the other files are in /etc/grub.d

Mark Phelps
October 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
ok, it seems there is no solution to keep the order without editing with vi or a gui.

Don't understand your complaints! You (1) don't want to use an editor to make the changes, and (2) you don't want to use a GUI to make the changes?

What are you looking for -- magic? Cause ... that's the only thing left!

Seriously, you will have to pick one of the two choices if you want to customize the default boot selection.

Wim Sturkenboom
October 5th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Don't understand your complaints! You (1) don't want to use an editor to make the changes ...
I think that potzdonner was referring to editing grub.cfg. Might be wrong, though.

potzdonner
October 8th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Ok, I have installed the grub-customizer.