PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] XFCE / Thunar Icon arrangement

e4xit
October 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi, I recently switched to xubuntu from ubuntu and am loving it.

My only gripe is with the file manager arrange icons. In ubuntu, I think it is called nautilus, allowed me to arrange icons in one folder one way, and then in another folder another way. For example by name in music. But by modification date in documents.

The key here seems to me that it remembered which views I had left windows in.

I seem to be spending half my time changing view arrangements now.

Please help with this or suggest other alternative file managers I could use (is this something I can even change?)

Any help much appreciated.

Will

LewisTM
October 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thunar will not remember your previous folder view. I think it's intentional; I for one agree to this choice. When I browse my file details, I hate to see them disappear when I jump folders. When I'm looking for a specific thumbnail, I don't want the file manager to choose not to show them in the next folder. What Thunar lets you do is quickly switch between views. Learn these hotkeys and you will find how efficient you can become:

Ctrl-1 : Icons
Ctrl-2 : Details
Ctrl-3 : Compact

However, there is not hotkey for sort order. I would LOVE to see that function implemented.

Cheers!

e4xit
October 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
hey thanks, perhaps I can work with that... is there a shortcut to reverse order? I like to have alphabetical-forwards and then date modified-reversed.

Cheers anyway