PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing boost version 1.42

alex2356
October 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I am running ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and need to 'downgrade' my installed version of boost to version 1.42 (1.48 currently installed). How can I do that?

aptitude search libboost

shows me only versions 1.46 and 1.48, so how exactly do I remove version 1.48 in order to revert to version 1.42.

Please no questions about the why, I only require answers to my specific question.

Thanks,

Alex

alex2356
October 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hi again,

since I have not received an answer to my question, I would like to ask if this is really a very hard to solve question? Maybe what I am asking is impossible? Any ideas I can try to install a specific version of boost?

Thanks,
Alex

spjackson
October 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Here's what I would do.

First investigate whether debs from earlier Ubuntu versions (Maverick) can be installed. i.e. remove the current package, download the debs and try installing them. 1.42 is less than 3 years old, so I think this might have a chance. However, my concern would be dependency on older versions of the standard library.

So if that failed, I would build it myself. I have built Boost before, but not for a long time; it can be a pain because of its own build system. So I would probably first try downloading the source package for 1.42 from the relevant Ubuntu version.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/boost-defaults/1.42.0.1ubuntu1

As a last resort, download from boost.org and build it - painfully!

I'm not claiming the above is the best strategy, but it is what I would do. I hope this helps.