PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should installing lxde speed up boot process of 12.04?

arroy_0209
October 1st, 2012, 07:37 AM
After upgrading to 12.04.1 from 10.04 I find boot time has gone up significantly. My hardware parameters are reasonable so I am not sure why this had happened. However there is one suggestion, that installing lxde may speed up boot process. But I have doubt that option to choose lxde session appears only at the time of log in so that time taken to reach log in screen will remain same. Am I correct? Also which option will be better between these two:

sudo apt-get install lxde
suso apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

I also don't like the unity desktop. So changing the desktop and speeding up the boot process are two of my most urgent aims. Thanks.

vasa1
October 1st, 2012, 07:51 AM
... However there is one suggestion, that installing lxde may speed up boot process. But I have doubt that option to choose lxde session appears only at the time of log in so that time taken to reach log in screen will remain same. Am I correct?

That's what I feel as well. Your bootup time will be unchanged.

It's possible that a pure Lubuntu install may boot faster. I don't know for sure.

Also which option will be better between these two:

sudo apt-get install lxde
suso apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

I also don't like the unity desktop. So changing the desktop and speeding up the boot process are two of my most urgent aims. Thanks.
I'd go for "install lubuntu-desktop" and afterwards, uninstall what I don't want.