PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from newegg.com

strungoutfan78
October 1st, 2012, 04:22 AM
I hope this is the right category for this thread. I apologize if it is not.

I just received an order confirmation today from Newegg.com for an Apple TV. This was an order I did not place. The name on the order was indeed mine, and the order showed up in my order history. The credit card being used for the purchase was not mine, however; nor was the address it was to be OVERNIGHTED to. Luckily I caught it, cancelled it and promptly changed my password. The part that infuriates me :evil: about this whole situation is Newegg's stance on this issue from their customer service representative. The following is the chat conversation in its entirety. If you want a good laugh, make sure you read to the very end:

Lydia: Hi, my name is Lydia. How may I help you?
Me: My account has been compromised and someone has ordered something in my name and has added an extra credit card to my account.
I have cancelled the order and promptly changed my password, but I would feel better if I could just close my account altogether. How can I delete my account?
Lydia:I'd be happy to help you with that, [myName]. We do apologize but we are unable to cancel any account after it has been set up. We would kindly advise you
to update the email address to a fake one if you would not keep this account. Please go to our website, next, click on the login or register link, near the upper right
portion of the page. Click on the third tab where it says Account Settings. (already becoming irritated at this point :evil: ) Then click the one that says Manage
Newegg.com ID. We prefer you use this method for security reasons.
Me: Ok
Me: Whoops. Are you affiliated with newegg.CA or .COM?
Me: I just realized I may be in the wrong place.
Lydia: We can help you with both Newegg.ca and Newegg.com.
Me: Ok now I can't log in at all.
Me: Nevermind. I reset it and I'm logged in. You say I should use a fake email address?
Lydia: Yes, you should use a fake email address.
Me: What purpose would that serve though? What if my account gets compromised again? Then I won't receive any sort of notification.
Lydia: In that case, you can create a new account with your own email address. If your account gets compromised again, you may contact us back
for further assistance.
Me: May I ask why you cannot delete my user account?
Lydia: We do not have this function as of this moment.
Me: You don't have the function of removing a user from a database? You must think I'm stupid
Me: I work in IT. It can be done.
LOOOOOOOOOONG pause.....
Lydia: Unfortunately, we cannot delete account in our system as of this moment. Rest assured that your feedback will receive the attention
it deserves and Newegg will continue striving to offer high quality.
Me: Well thank you for your time. You can rest assured that do not feel that this matter is being resolved satisfactorily by any means and I intend to post this
conversation across as many internet tech forums as possible. Good night.
WAIT FOR IT........
Lydia: You are very welcome. :shock: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: No

Be very wary of these people. I do not feel better at all after having this conversation with them. In fact I feel worse now. Maybe overreaction, but I take this type of issue very seriously. I've never had issues with Newegg in the past. Looks like I'm buying locally from now on. Good thing Fry's is right down the street...

rai4shu2
October 1st, 2012, 04:30 AM
Ha! That's funny. I just ordered $50 worth of thumb drives from those guys yesterday. A very good store, in my experience. I've never had any problems.

mevun
October 1st, 2012, 05:26 AM
Well, in fairness, no company is going to "delete your account" from a database, because then they will lose its history and it is undoubtedly tied to several other pieces of information in their database. Although databases will support "cascade on delete", I would not expect a database for ecommerce to allow that for an account record. After all, it's highly likely that they are subpoenaed by law enforcement and won't just delete records because a customer asks them to.

Normally, what should be done is to "deactivate" the account, i.e. set a flag that shows the account cannot be used anymore.

I would be worried that the company did not seem to be more concerned about security, although maybe behind-the-scenes someone will investigate.

KiwiNZ
October 1st, 2012, 05:30 AM
This matter is not a ubuntu issue.