PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Software Center doesn't work

david10p
September 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Last time I tried downloading and installing updates to Ubuntu on my computer, the update failed randomly. I restarted the computer and tried running the updates again, and same error happened. I didn't have enough time to deal with it at the moment so I ignored it. Two days later I tried opening the Ubuntu Software Center and it starts loading and then it crashes on me, every time, before it even starts up. I tried reinstalling Software Center and this is what I get:

david10p@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall software-center
[sudo] password for david10p:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restricted _binary-amd64_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
david10p@ubuntu:~$

Also, I can't update anything on the machine anymore. And this is the error I get:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise_restricted _binary-amd64_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Can any one please help me solve these two problems? Thanks.

deadflowr
September 30th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I don't know if this would be helpful, but see if it helps:

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/apt-get-how-to-fix-very-broken-packages/

Also, what happens when you try running the update through the terminal.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 1st, 2012, 12:24 AM
Thy this command
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vfThen
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

david10p
October 1st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Thanks for input guys.

I'm running the update && upgrade now and it seems to be working. It didn't work the first time, it gave me an error reading the package lists and then it stopped. Now I tried the sudo rm first and it seems to be working so far.

I will post an update soon.

david10p
October 1st, 2012, 03:35 AM
SUCCESS! I got it to work with the help of a friend here. Thank you so much guys!

joshofalltrades
October 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM
i'm having the exact same problem, just posted a new thread about it. did your success come from the code posted above or from something else a friend of yours helped you with elsewhere?

david10p
October 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
i'm having the exact same problem, just posted a new thread about it. did your success come from the code posted above or from something else a friend of yours helped you with elsewhere?
My success came entirely from the code posted above. More specifically, from these lines of code:

sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Good luck!