PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Downgrade xfce 4.10 to 4.8.

UAdnan
September 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Greetings,

I have Xubuntu 12.04 LTS on my computer, and wanted to give xfce 4.10 a try. I knew it was to be officially released in the 12.10 version and not recommended with 12.04, but there wasn't really something I had to care about.

Well but the testings aren't that great, the panel plugins are crashing often and the boot time has almost doubled since it's taking more time to get the environment loaded.

Is there any way to downgrade from xfce 4.10 to the previous one ? If so, please provide the necessary commands.

Thanks in advance,
UAdnan.

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2012, 04:38 PM
How did you install it ? If it was with a PPA check for a PPA purge where you found the PPA. I just installed 12.10 but was using the XFCE session in 12.04 and I'm not sure if 4.10 was in the 12.04 repository or not. I'm not sure if reinstalling the the desktop would work.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xubuntu-desktop

UAdnan
September 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Well, I don't want to mess it up, here are the commands that I used to install it, nothing else :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-update

Can you help me more through the process ?

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2012, 09:32 PM
See the remove PPA section.http://www.webupd8.org/2012/02/how-to-use-launchpad-ppa-add-remove.html

UAdnan
October 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM
That didn't work, I get the following error :

" Reinstallation of xubuntu-desktop is not possible, it cannot be downloaded. "

neu5eeCh
October 10th, 2012, 12:39 AM
That didn't work, I get the following error :

" Reinstallation of xubuntu-desktop is not possible, it cannot be downloaded. "

Did you remove 4.10 before getting this message?

(As a side note, you problems with 4.10 sound like the exception to the rule. I use 4.10 and have had no difficulties on either of my systems; not that this information is helpful, but it does sound like you have issues unrelated to 4.10.)

UAdnan
October 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Did you remove 4.10 before getting this message?

(As a side note, you problems with 4.10 sound like the exception to the rule. I use 4.10 and have had no difficulties on either of my systems; not that this information is helpful, but it does sound like you have issues unrelated to 4.10.)

This would sound quite stupid, but it's that I haven't removed it. Thanks.