PDA

View Full Version : How do I compile a 64-bit c++ prog using code blocks Ubuntu

abubakarsiddique
September 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi,
I have a multithreaded c++ code, I am trying to compile it using code blocks on 64-ubuntu, for 32-bit compilation I gave -m32 and it works good but for 64-bit I gave -m64 and it failed. I am using #elif defined(__ia64__) && defined(__GNUC__)
it simply unable to recognize it.

3Miro
September 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM
If you are already using 64-bit system, then you don't need any special flags to compile the program for 64-bit. Remove the -m32 and don't add anything else, it should work.

abubakarsiddique
September 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
thanx for ur response, I have already tried it but same error,
it simply unable to recognize " #elif defined(__ia64__) && defined(__GNUC__)"

spjackson
September 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Are you saying that you expect __ia64__ to be defined but it isn't?
You won't get it if the target is x86_64.

uname -a
gcc -v
You can dump predefined macros with

gcc -dM -E foo.c > foo.log

abubakarsiddique
September 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Are you saying that you expect __ia64__ to be defined but it isn't?
You won't get it if the target is x86_64.

uname -a
gcc -v
You can dump predefined macros with

gcc -dM -E foo.c > foo.log

Boss you are right, the target is x86_64, and i am expecting ia64. now can you please tell me the settings in code blocks or some thing else because i want to compile it at
"_ia64 && GNUC" as target. tahnx for your +ve response

oldos2er
September 30th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Moved to Programming Talk.

abubakarsiddique
September 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hi,
I have a multithreaded c++ code, I am trying to compile it using code blocks on 64-ubuntu, for 32-bit compilation I gave -m32 and it works good but for 64-bit I gave -m64 and it failed. I am using #elif defined(__ia64__) && defined(__GNUC__)
it simply unable to recognize it.
Infact I want to set its target compiler ia64 but it is x86_64, can any one guide me how can i change code blocks settings or some other solution for this problem.Thanx

Regards
AB

spjackson
October 1st, 2012, 08:21 AM
As I understand it, if you are not on an ia64 platform, you need to install a cross-compiler and toolchain if you want to build ia64 executables. Then you will need to configure your IDE to use that toolchain. I do question the merit of cross-compiling in an IDE because you can't run the code or debug it. So what does the added compexity of configuring the IDE give you exactly?