PDA

View Full Version : What can 12.10 do that 12.04.1 LTS cannot?

georgelappies
September 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Any real reason to dump the LTS for 12.10?

This is for Ubuntu with unity.

thatguruguy
September 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM

My suggestion is try it out, and decide for yourself.

Primefalcon
September 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
My suggestion is try it out, and decide for yourself.
Why not read the release notes yourself?

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing

Primefalcon
September 28th, 2012, 10:49 PM
to save people clicking through... here's the quote for the desktop beta 2

Ubuntu

There is no longer a traditional CD-sized image, DVD or alternate image, but rather a single 800MB Ubuntu image that can be used from USB or DVD. Users who previously installed using LVM or full-disk encryption via the alternate CD will find that these installation targets are supported by the consolidated image in 12.10.

Update Manager has been streamlined and renamed Software Updater. It also now checks for updates when launched.

A new X.org stack has been introduced which includes xserver 1.13 candidate versions, mesa 9.0, and updated X libs and drivers. The new xserver provides improved multiseat support, better smooth scrolling, and a large variety of bug fixes. The proprietary -nvidia driver now supports the RANDR standard for monitor configuration.

Compiz with GLES support landed, making unity-3d work again on the pandaboard.

Unity was updated to version 6.6 including support for

Addition of 'More Suggestions' catory which delivers commercial content to the Dash via the 'Unity Shopping Lens'
Numerous fixes and refinements to the dash

Support addition of webapps in the launcher by default (including Amazon & Ubuntu One Music stores)
An updated indicator-messages including a new libmessaging-menu api (deprecating the old libindicate library)
All launcher icons (except the BFB and Trash) should now be movable
Added the ability to unlock removable-storage icons from the launcher to de-clutter it
When in spread mode (Super+W) it's possible to close windows by clicking the close button revealed when hovering over them
Gwibber lens now features preview support in the dash
Webapps can now trigger package downloads where required by compliant websites visited by the user
Additional icons have been added to the filesystem lens to enable dragging and dropping filesystems (such as USB sticks) into the launcher
Previews in the video lens now show details for remote Amazon videos
Unity and unity-panel have been ported to atk-bridge for accessibility

Other notable updates include:

Jockey has been deprecated in favor of a "Drivers" component in software-properties.

Libreoffice was updated to 3.6.1 with built-in menubar & HUD support without needing a separate plugin.
GNOME has been updated to 3.5.92 for most components (some to 3.6.0)
Accessibility is turned on by default.

kio_http
September 29th, 2012, 05:29 AM
to save people clicking through... here's the quote for the desktop beta 2

Recently I've always found KDE to outperform Unity completely since 11.10. The compiz gles may resolve this so I guess its time to try it again.

vasa1
September 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM
OP specifies "This is for Ubuntu with unity." I hope it stays that way or this will become (yet) another A versus B thread.

deadflowr
September 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Like any other "inbetween", 12.10 introduces a wide range of new features and ideas.
Some features or tweaks like a newer kernel version, combining unity and unity 2d, Little code changes like such.
Other features like dash preview, which gives you a little rundown of applications and files inside the dash.
I can't really say go out install it, use it as your new main distro, but I will say, running it, even for a little bit, can help you understand the pace at which things can change.
I will continue to run precise for the foreseeable future as my main install, but testing/trying out the newer releases will keep me abreast of what to expect come 14.04.

litiform
October 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM

I'll be using 12.04 until 14.04 comes out. I find the 6 month releases to be horrible with Bugs. Even the LTS releases have prolems, but they still better than the 6 month.