PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing wireless network widget

achim_59
September 28th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I was using Lucid until recently on an IBM T43 (ignore what my profile says... aparently I'm not allowed to edit it... yet). Due to a hard disk failure, I've had to update to 12.04 and re-install my data from backups. Unfortunately I didn't backup all the system stuff and now I've got a problem.

I'm not sure if this is a desktop problem or a networking one. There used to be a small widget on the taskbar in Gnome 2 that showed what wireless networks were available and enabled me to connect to a wireless service.

Since Gnome 2 is no longer available and I don't like either Unity or Gnome 3, I've switched to MATE. Sadly that little widget is not there and I have no idea what it was called. For you networking people out there, I've installed wireshark 1.6.7 but it doesn't seem to come with its own widget.

This is pretty embarrassing. I can program web portals, do data analysis and migrate monster DBs but I cannot get my own little laptop running properly. :cry: Pathetic, isn't it?

I'd be grateful for any hints as to where I should start looking for that useful little app that I used to use so often.

Achim