PDA

View Full Version : AOL for Linux

Rich3077
June 30th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Holy cow.. isnt this an oxymoron or something??

http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

Yes I am guilty of using AOL years ago because I got it free for several years..
but it just seems unlikley that Lunux users would use AOL.

I use to collect AOL versions years ago and did at one time have AOL for DOS on a floppy. I wish I still had that just for giggles.

Any Linux/AOL users here?

Peace
Rich

deanjm1963
June 30th, 2006, 06:46 AM
gaim and kopete both have AOL support, the linux client that AOL has is YEARS old..

chickengirl
June 30th, 2006, 06:55 AM
gaim and kopete both have AOL support, the linux client that AOL has is YEARS old..

That's AIM, not AOL. I can think of plenty of reasons to want to use AIM (the protocol, not necessarily the program itself) on Linux, but anyone who would want to violate their Linux installation with AOL is clearly out of their mind.

dksdk
June 30th, 2006, 07:06 AM
That's AIM, not AOL. I can think of plenty of reasons to want to use AIM (the protocol, not necessarily the program itself) on Linux, but anyone who would want to violate their Linux installation with AOL is clearly out of their mind.
hi yes i am using penggy to connect to aol via modem.
i did'nt have any problems so far. i can connect to internet and browse without any problems. i was even connected to internet downloading/upgrading to dapper for 48hrs at a sterch without being disconnected even once.
is it bad to use aol on linux, what do you mean by violate the installation. kindly eloborate on that. thank you.:roll:

Rich3077
June 30th, 2006, 07:27 AM
No disrespect to you intended dkskd.. I just assumed that nobody using Linux would use AOL. I was an AOL user and beta tester for many years so I know well of its evils to operating systems. AOL was a great newbie tool in its time but now most people have access to broadband and those who dont can usaually get better deals on dial up than what AOL offers. AOL is sinking fast and thats why they give users such a hard time cancelling the service.
I had to send a certified letter RRR threatining legel recourse to cancell my AOL. This is just a small sample of many reasons that AOL users are branded as Windows newbies and that many viruses are aimed in thier direction. If broadband hadnt became a reality then AOL would probably still be a strong contender. Beleive it or not they did have some decent ideas in beta testing years ago.. like the ability to send JPG's in an IM.. it was really kind of neat.

Peace
Rich

Mechanical
June 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
A few years back when I was relying on aol connections for free internet because I couldn't afford anything, I would have been all over this!

dksdk
June 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM
he he i don't have any hesitation in accepting that aol does evil to your OS. i am dual booting with XP and i can see how it hijacks windows software. but what i really want to know is - does it do that to linux as well. is there any spyware etc threat. i don't think it really is as we are not using any of aol's software to connect. although you are helping the compamy by still using their services. thanks.

Rich3077
June 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Its probably safe to connect to AOL via Linux.. but I just dont understand why someone would want to with the reputation they have, unless like me and others the AOL connection was a freebie. My wife was a Mod in a AOL forum so my AOL was free for years. I had broadband at the time but I seriously had family members who where to stupid to type @comcast.net at the end of my email address so we kept AOL for many years longer than we needed it. About 7 years actually. Finally after some years the family members left AOL and learned how to type the @ symbol. I was never happier.

Peace
Rich

Deaf_Head
June 30th, 2006, 10:19 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xaaAYVUWP0I&search=aol

lol

chickengirl
June 30th, 2006, 03:54 PM
is it bad to use aol on linux, what do you mean by violate the installation. kindly eloborate on that. thank you.:roll:

I mean, AOL is pure unmitigated evil.

bluenova
June 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
AOL disks are good for scaring the birds away from your vegetable patch.

G Morgan
June 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
AOL disks are good for scaring the birds away from your vegetable patch.

Make good coasters to go along with that XP OEM version as well. Collect the whole set ME, XP, 9x, AOL, Norton a whole list of junkware coasters.