PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Mind Reader Reveals his Gifts

yeehi
September 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM
There is a fun YouTube video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7pYHN9iC9I&feature=endscreen).

Makes you think!

rai4shu2
September 27th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Yep. Makes me think: "Some people are shameless."

If someone tells you they can read your mind, don't believe them. Ask yourself what kind of tell it is they are reading and how you can use that tell to trick them into exposing themselves for the frauds they are.

forrestcupp
September 27th, 2012, 09:51 PM
That's crazy. That would probably make me sick if it were me.

Gremlinzzz
September 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM
:popcorn:Makes you think! but i think its to late for most people.

stalkingwolf
September 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
actually it simply shows how much is available on the net .

"reading Minds" is more about reading bodies and surroundings. A real
"mind reader" like a real psychic, medium, card reader usually knows or feels
a great deal more than they care to.

You will rarely if ever see a true reader doing something like that. they dont need the hocus pocus razmataz.

Anyone can learn to do it, or more accurately relearn to do it. the reading of people and situations is a skill that was lost as civilisation grew just as the acute sense of smell was.

Many of the things people today find amazing were common place before people started living like sardines jammed in a can without benefit of oil. And of course before the Inquisition and religion enforced by the sword.

forrestcupp
September 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM
actually it simply shows how much is available on the net .

"reading Minds" is more about reading bodies and surroundings. A real
"mind reader" like a real psychic, medium, card reader usually knows or feels
a great deal more than they care to.

You will rarely if ever see a true reader doing something like that. they dont need the hocus pocus razmataz.

That was the whole point of the experiment. He wasn't trying to use real mind reading tricks and reveal how it is done. He was just using that as a visual aid to drive home the revelation that people aren't careful enough with their online identities. If the title of the video would have been accurately descriptive, we wouldn't have had the surprise ending to shock the heck out of us and pound the lesson into us.

Linuxratty
September 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Nothing surprising here.

Cold reading is a series of techniques used by mentalists, psychics, fortune-tellers, and illusionists to determine or express details about another person, often in order to convince them that the reader knows much more about a subject than they actually do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Copper Bezel
September 29th, 2012, 12:52 AM
That was the whole point of the experiment. He wasn't trying to use real mind reading tricks and reveal how it is done. He was just using that as a visual aid to drive home the revelation that people aren't careful enough with their online identities. If the title of the video would have been accurately descriptive, we wouldn't have had the surprise ending to shock the heck out of us and pound the lesson into us.
Right, this isn't a Derren Brown knockoff - they're just playing on that. Very cleverly done.

rai4shu2
September 29th, 2012, 02:18 AM
So, it's a lame rip off of a Penn and Teller bit from 20 years ago?

Copper Bezel
September 29th, 2012, 03:21 AM
No, because by the look of things, Penn & Teller have done several skits making fun of psychics, but none about the dangers of sharing too much via social media.

Again, the fact that psychics are frauds is not even a part of the point of this video.

rai4shu2
September 29th, 2012, 04:35 AM
No, because by the look of things, Penn & Teller have done several skits making fun of psychics, but none about the dangers of sharing too much via social media.

Again, the fact that psychics are frauds is not even a part of the point of this video.

Okay. I stand corrected.

So... What was the point of this video?

Linuxratty
September 29th, 2012, 04:46 AM

And in my way of thinking, that should be the main point of the video.

Copper Bezel
September 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Again, there's Derren Brown and James Randi for that. No Google required. The point of the video is to think about what you share and who you share it with - it's a demonstration of identity theft.

vasa1
September 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Bit OT, but fans of Sherlock Holmes will remember The Resident Patient (Adventure VIII here (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/834/834-h/834-h.htm#2H_4_0008)).

codingman
September 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I think the point was just to make the other videos of this guy more popular. Just an opinion.

Copper Bezel
September 30th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Well, yes, but that's true of all YouTube videos ever. = ) It's like saying, "you're not a software developer, you're a person who participates in the exchange of goods and services to facilitate his or her own survival and happiness."