PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Trying to install Lubuntu with Alt install and Wifi

swright007
September 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I am trying to install Lubuntu on a friend's Compaq Presario M2000 laptop. It has a 40 Gig HD and 256 Megs of Ram.. Unfortunately it comes equipped with a Wifi card that isn't recognized. I found one that is by Ubuntu and will be using it with the laptop for the install.

I will be using the Alternate install CD of Lubuntu and was curious if the Wifi USB would be recognized during the install or if it would only be noticed after the install was complete. The network is a password protected network, too.. so at some point I would have to enter the network password. If anyone has any idea what I should expect, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks in advance

Scott

Slim Odds
September 26th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I am trying to install Lubuntu on a friend's Compaq Presario M2000 laptop. It has a 40 Gig HD and 256 Megs of Ram.. Unfortunately it comes equipped with a Wifi card that isn't recognized. I found one that is by Ubuntu and will be using it with the laptop for the install.

I will be using the Alternate install CD of Lubuntu and was curious if the Wifi card would be recognized during the install or if it would only be noticed after the install was complete. The network is a password protected network, too.. so at some point I would have to enter the network password. If anyone has any idea what I should expect, I would appreciate a heads up. Thanks in advance

Scott
It would help if you specified the type of WiFi chipset, etc. Model... you know. Details.

swright007
September 26th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The Compaq comes with a Broadcom Wifi card 802.11 B/G
and the USB wifi adapter that works with Ubuntu that I will be using tonight to replace the broadcom is a Netgear N150 Wireless USB adapter WNA 1100.

Slim Odds
September 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM
The Compaq comes with a Broadcom Wifi card 802.11 B/G
and the USB wifi adapter that works with Ubuntu that I will be using tonight to replace the broadcom is a Netgear N150 Wireless USB adapter WNA 1100.
Figured this might be the case. The Broadcom cards are a pain. When I bought a laptop a while back, I made sure that it had Intel Wifi and not Broadcom.

See if this helps: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185174

swright007
September 26th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I bypassed Broadcom altogether... I am using the Netgear in place of it. My question was at what point will the Alt install see the USB Netgear wifi device or would I have to wait until after the complete install for it to be usable and able to sign in to the private network.

I know the Netgear works well with Ubuntu as I have several computers here at the house using them.

I appreciate the troubleshooting info for the Broadcom but I really am not wanting that headache either... hahaha.

Slim Odds
September 26th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I bypassed Broadcom altogether... I am using the Netgear in place of it. My question was at what point will the Alt install see the USB Netgear wifi device or would I have to wait until after the complete install for it to be usable and able to sign in to the private network.

I know the Netgear works well with Ubuntu as I have several computers here at the house using them.

I appreciate the troubleshooting info for the Broadcom but I really am not wanting that headache either... hahaha.
The Alt install should find the USB device when it needs a network. If it needs a network.

You might want to download the Ubuntu DVD installer (Live DVD). It has more stuff.