PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] chipset heat sink

SummerT
September 25th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Can anyone tell me what this means. I was trying to boot another computer and the screen came up with something like chipset heat sink and then turned off. Can't get it to stay on past that.

mcduck
September 25th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Chipset heat sink is thge piece of metal placed on top of the chipset on your motherboard, used to radiate away the heat the chipset generates.

Without knowing the exact error you got it's of course impossible to say for sure, but based on what you said it sounds like the heatsink is not properly fixed in it's place, is too dusty to work, or it has a fan attached the fan has failed. So the chipset is overheating and the system turns itself off to avoid any damage.

While it's not too complicated thing to fix yourself, based on the fact that you asked what chipset heat sink is I'd recommend taking the computer to some repairs shop... :)

newb85
September 25th, 2012, 11:41 AM
+1 on McDuck's advice.

SummerT
September 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Thanks. If you can describe what part to get and if you know how to do it, I think I can figure it out with your help. I remember the error said that it wasn't detected. And it shut the system down.

I'm not as slow a learner as I may appear to be. :)

Wim Sturkenboom
September 26th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Have a look at your motherboard; do you see any fans? If so, you will probably see one that's not turning when you power the system up.

Else look at the heat sinks. They usually are pieces of metal with some fins. See e.g. the image at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

Note that the passive one is still relatively big; you might find ones that are only 5mm thick like the one next to the sata connectors (right top) on this board (http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/Angle/H61M-VS%28m%29.jpg). They're also often 'painted' in fancy colors.

SummerT
September 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks wim.

so what am I buying and where am I putting it?

the pic links are very helpful

shreepads
September 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
What motherboard are you using and does the message say the chipset or the chipset fan is 'not detected'? Is there an error code displayed?

Can you look at your motherboard manual, locate the chipset on the board and figure out if there is a fan on the chipset or not? If yes, does it start spinning the moment you power on the computer?

Most likely explanation is that the chipset is overheating because of a non functional fan or the heatsink may be unseated (if there is no fan on the chipset)? If the former then a new fan should do the trick, if the latter than you need rubbing alcohol, cotton buds and something like Arctic Silver 5...

If the chipset itself is not detected then you may have bigger problems and a trip to a repair shop is indicated...

SummerT
September 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
not sure of the motherboard. the message says Heatset chip not detected. system shutting down or something. it does start spinning immediately and fairly loud.

SummerT
September 27th, 2012, 04:09 AM
The exact error states:

Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System failed.

shreepads
September 27th, 2012, 06:24 AM
The exact error states:

Alert! Chipset heat sink not detected. System failed.

A quick google search on the error message gives:

http://news.sequimpc.com/dell/dell-dimension-4600c-heatsink-alert-chipset-heatsink-not-detected-system-halted/

And from the Dell support site:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws530/en/ug/html/2codes.htm

Suggest you go to a repair shop...

SummerT
September 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
it's not something I can do myself, you feel?

shreepads
September 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
it's not something I can do myself, you feel?

I guess you could if you wanted, but have a look at the first link, didn't seem straightforward to me...

Simply put, the heatsink has a clasp which is also an electrical contact that informs the motherboard whether it is closed.

See if you can spot the clasp and check if it is open. If yes, close it and see if the error goes away. Even then a bigger question is why did the clasp open and has the thermal compound between the chipset and heatsink been compromised. If yes, you'll need to remove the heatsink, clean the heatsink-chipset surfaces (e.g. using cotton bud wetted with rubbing alcohol), apply a new layer of thermal compound (e.g. Arctic Silver 5) and close it down (look at the Arctic Silver website for how-tos)..

If the clasp is not open or if closing it doesn't make the error go away you may have bigger problems. I assume it's a Dell desktop, best take it to them for repair in that case...

SummerT
October 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Hey everyone. Ok, so I went out and bought artic silver and placed it on the heatsink after cleaning properly etc.

I just got the same error message about heatsink not being detected, shutting down.

any ideas?