PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] stop sound from muting itself

bilboubu
September 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM
hi, on xbmcbuntu if there is a crash or something or someone switches of the power while in standby when the computer is switched back on the sound has muted itself.

I can unmute it by running a pactl command but why is it muting in the first place and how do I stop it? thanks

NikTh
September 24th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Try to disable auto-mute in alsamixer , BUT maybe this change creates other problems , like speakers and headphones produced sound together.

bilboubu
September 24th, 2012, 11:49 PM
wow, quick reply thanks! How do I do that, is that "alsamixer" from the cmd line?

edit found how, does it matter that I am running pulse audio?

NikTh
September 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM
edit found how, does it matter that I am running pulse audio?

Pulseaudio and alsa are pre-installed in Ubuntu. So I guess no matters.

If you meant the pulseaudio GUI (pavucontrol) then no , no matters (again) .

bilboubu
September 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I dont appear to have an automute when running alsa mixer just 4 s/pdifs?

NikTh
September 25th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I dont appear to have an automute when running alsa mixer just 4 s/pdifs?

Probably not. You must select the correct sound card.

In alsamixer you can navigate with arrow keys (right-left) and increase or decrease volume with arrow keys(up-down). Also you can mute [MM] or unmute channels with key 'm' .

If you see up , you will see some keys like F5 , F6 , F3 , it writes what each button do.

First press F5 so you can see all channels and if nothing appearers press F6 to select the correct sound card.

Look the attached .

bilboubu
September 26th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions but all I can see are the 4 spdifs even when I hit f5 view all and go left and right and select both hda nvidia and default.