PDA

View Full Version : Laptop ramble, mumble, grumble

Mr.Dee
September 24th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Ok... Mr. Dee recently had his faithful netbook's lcd take a dive. Well he has a bit of cash burning a whole in his wallet due to fortunate prosperity and hard work. Time to upgrade right? RIGHT? SURE, WHY NOT?

A trip to newegg, frys and ebay... Something is wrong. Mr. Dee wants something portable with a keyboard, big mistake. Mr. Dee has some cash but not a fat sack of cash. Ultrabooks are not found for a penny less than 600 bones ($US) and if you get slightly picky, BAM, 1000 bux.

Well Mr. Dee asks, why, oh why?? is there not a laptop with an atom processor and 14inch display??? It would cost 400bux and weigh less than 4lbs. Basic web-browsing is all that is needed. Mr. Dee does not need an i7 with 4g of ram or dvd drive.

A little googlies yields nav13x, but that leads to thinking of conspiracy theories of apple crushing a great product ... SIGH

So Mr. Dee is now shopping for an oem lcd and going back to the faithful netbook that weighs 2.43 lbs., the faithful netbook that he bought for $250 2 years ago!!

sandyd
September 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM
If basic web browsing is all that is required, I would go for a huge tablet with a foldable keyboard in the folio cover. I have that config with my Xoom 2, and it works quite well.

Mr.Dee
September 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah I liked a tablet that I saw at bestbuy that had an option for a keyboard. I need to see if it works with linux.

mamamia88
September 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah I liked a tablet that I saw at bestbuy that had an option for a keyboard. I need to see if it works with linux.

may i ask why? android is technically linux. and what are you going to need to do that requires linux? I'd still try and find a secondhand netbook or something though. How portable does this need to be? Do you have a desktop? If so maybe a 7 inch tablet will do just fine for your rare mobile needs. Maybe you can replace the screen. Maybe you can find a secondhand netbook on craigslist. The possibilities are endless.

|{urse
September 24th, 2012, 08:57 PM
That screen should be less than $150 to replace (be sure to order the power inverter for your model also, just in case).

drawkcab
September 25th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I would grab a basic low-end thinkpad.