PDA

View Full Version : Add Windows 8 to the Comparison Chart

Dellius
September 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Please add Windows 8 to the comparison chart on your start page. Right now, Ubuntu looks truly superior compared to Microsoft's latest release.

Here are just some of the things, which make Ubuntu blow Windows 8 out of the water.

-Usable, familiar, snappy, responsive, organized, productivity oriented desktop
-Better security
-Much faster OS responsiveness
-Improved handling of applications
-Faster and better performance of Windows Apps even under Wine
-Better gaming experience, with faster fps
-DRM free. Doesn't put your PC in chains
-Not trying to turn your PC into a retarded version of a tablet
-Better hardware support, especially for legacy systems. Runs faster and better.
-No BSOD's and better drivers for everything.
-Easy software installations and maintenance
-Better compatibility with legacy Windows applications.

I am not even joking here. Windows 8 won't run a lot of apps for such "old" OS's as Windows 7 and will respond with BSOD's instead, and this is the final Win8 RTM 9200 Enterprise build. Check it out. Microsoft are building compatibility lists for all hardware and software right now for Windows 8 and many companies are saying that no, they are not updating their aging hardware's drivers for Windows 8 so tough luck installing it on your aging laptop, or using your old VGA adapter with it. Enjoy your 800x600 resolution.

Really, just add Windows 8 to your comparison list, because it's worth the laugh. This thing makes even Windows 2000 feel superior.

thatguruguy
September 24th, 2012, 01:03 PM
1. You need to address this to Canonical directly, not this forum. This is a forum for users of Ubuntu, not the company (Canonical) which puts it out.

2. Windows 8 hasn't been released yet.

tjeremiah
September 24th, 2012, 01:22 PM
the Windows 8 beta boots up for me in less than 5 seconds. I think thats pretty awesome and wish Ubuntu would do the same.

kaldor
September 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
the Windows 8 beta boots up for me in less than 5 seconds. I think thats pretty awesome and wish Ubuntu would do the same.

That's pretty good. Can you post the specs of that machine?

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Is that a cold boot, or is that coming out of hibernate or something? It's not a VM is it? You're going to have to give us some more info on that.

nerdopolis
September 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Windows 8 has some trick to increase the speed of the startup, that loads a hibernated file from when only the kernel is running or something.

AllRadioisDead
September 24th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Please add Windows 8 to the comparison chart on your start page. Right now, Ubuntu looks truly superior compared to Microsoft's latest release.

Here are just some of the things, which make Ubuntu blow Windows 8 out of the water.

-Usable, familiar, snappy, responsive, organized, productivity oriented desktop
-Better security
-Much faster OS responsiveness
-Improved handling of applications
-Faster and better performance of Windows Apps even under Wine
-Better gaming experience, with faster fps
-DRM free. Doesn't put your PC in chains
-Not trying to turn your PC into a retarded version of a tablet
-Better hardware support, especially for legacy systems. Runs faster and better.
-No BSOD's and better drivers for everything.
-Easy software installations and maintenance
-Better compatibility with legacy Windows applications.

I am not even joking here. Windows 8 won't run a lot of apps for such "old" OS's as Windows 7 and will respond with BSOD's instead, and this is the final Win8 RTM 9200 Enterprise build. Check it out. Microsoft are building compatibility lists for all hardware and software right now for Windows 8 and many companies are saying that no, they are not updating their aging hardware's drivers for Windows 8 so tough luck installing it on your aging laptop, or using your old VGA adapter with it. Enjoy your 800x600 resolution.

Really, just add Windows 8 to your comparison list, because it's worth the laugh. This thing makes even Windows 2000 feel superior.

- Windows 8 is usable, familiar, and faster than Windows 7. The start screen is more productive than the desktop and displays more information at once.
- Windows 8 boots faster than my Ubuntu installation and apps open instantaniously.
- What does that even mean?
- Half of Windows applications under WINE don't even work.
- The average user just wants things to work.
- >implying Canonical isn't trying to optimize Unity for TV's and Tablets
- Linux has better drivers than Windows? I must have missed something.
- Windows 8 has an app store.
- Linux has better comparability with Windows applications than Windows? You've go to be kidding me.

Can you please list some of the Apps that cause BSOD's on your Windows 8 installation? I've never had that problem. Everything has been smooth sailing.
I use my VGA adapters just fine in Windows 8.

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
- Linux has better comparability with Windows applications than Windows? You've go to be kidding me.

You misquoted him. He said that Linux has better compatibility with legacy Windows apps. I'd say that's probably true. I've run into a few old apps and games that work with Wine that won't work in newer versions of Windows.

oldfred
September 24th, 2012, 05:42 PM
If single booting Windows 8, the hibernation is ok. But if dual booting you may have issues. Even dual booting with another install of Windows. Just not write anything into the Windows 8 install.

WARNING for Windows 8 Dual-Booters
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674
It defaults shutdown to a hybrid hibernation/off state for fast boot
But then files may be corrupted similar to Windows 7 Hibernation:
http://superuser.com/questions/144720/missing-files-when-windows-7-returns-from-hibernate-w-dual-boot

BrokenKingpin
September 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I have Win7 on an SSD and I think it boots in the same time as Ubuntu. Although over time Win7 will slow down and Ubuntu won't, but it is still pretty good.

On the subject of boot times, who really cares. An extra 5 seconds on a cold boot is not a big deal at all, and if it is hibernate or sleep your machine instead.

On the subject of Windows 8, even with improved performance, it still has most of the fundamental flaws that windows has had since the late 90s and early 2000s (if not earlier). For example, on a fresh install of Win7 it takes 8+ reboots and many hours to bring it fully up to date... it is insane. They should be working on this type of stuff, not boot performance or a new crappy interface that people do not need on the desktop.

Dragonbite
September 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Windows 7 on my laptop boots up pretty quickly, and faster than Ubuntu.

Shutting down, though, for whatever reason Windows takes full MINUTES to shut down, while Ubuntu is very quickly.

I think I did something in Ubuntu which causing the slower boot, but even fresh it seemed to take longer than Windows.

But the Windows shutdown is just deplorable.

vexorian
September 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM
My startup time consistently gets worse when I install nvidia's drivers.

It is really not a big deal. It is still quite an acceptable boot time, and I just resume from suspend most of the time anyway.

If I remember correctly, latest windows version cheat by using part of the systems used for hibernation and suspend to boot faster. So whilst it looks like it is starting up, it is partially restoring part of it. Perhaps that is what slows down shut down time, if you have plenty of RAM it copies stuff to HD. I heard that in some systems you cannot enter BIOS unless you make sure to force a "real restart".

tjeremiah
September 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM

Is that a cold boot, or is that coming out of hibernate or something? It's not a VM is it? You're going to have to give us some more info on that.

its the very computer some of you guys here help me build.:guitar: (I need to update my Sig)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2033500

And no, not running in VM. From the startup/cool boot, it is really less than 5 seconds. Here are my specs :

Samsung 1TB 7200rpm SATA 3g HDD (said I went with WD but changed my mind the last minute due to a great deal Newegg had at the time)

ASRock B75M-GL LGA 1155 Intel B75 (this is with Instant boot OFF which is suppose to make startup time better...)

Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.5GHz Turbo)

4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (Which I later fount out will not take advantage of my Motherboard features and CPU :( )

For more info, everything I bought minus the HDD correction is in that thread I posted from the summer.

vexorian
September 25th, 2012, 12:59 AM
How long does ubuntu need in the same computer?

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Samsung 1TB 7200rpm SATA 3g HDD (said I went with WD but changed my mind the last minute due to a great deal Newegg had at the time)

That's not even with a SSD? That's kind of hard to believe. There's no reason to believe you would lie about it, though.

Edit: this article from Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Windows-8-Boot-Time-Too-Fast-BIOS-Boot-Options,15738.html) says that it can boot in as little as 7 seconds, and it's sometimes too fast to press the F2 or F8 key if you need to. Pretty wild.

vexorian
September 25th, 2012, 02:04 AM
It's easy to believe, since my first post in this thread I've been investigating. And Microsoft basically saves all core system files in the hibernation thingy of the hardware. This basically means that boots are normally never cold boots. Since there is much less preloading of kernel and other stuff it naturally does not need as much time. Most of the boot time in modern OS is wasted in reading HDD and loading stuff to RAM.

Which is terrible in that it is unlikely Linux will manage to make something like this work. We barely support hibernation and this fast boot is certainly very dependent on hardware support.

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM
It's still pretty incredible, though. My experience of a full hibernation of Windows is that it usually takes longer to come out of hibernation than it does to cold boot. The only benefit I've seen in it is if you want to keep some apps open or something.

ki4jgt
September 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Know this is drifting a little off course but when Windows 8 is finally released, will they deactivate the free trial activation code?

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Know this is drifting a little off course but when Windows 8 is finally released, will they deactivate the free trial activation code?Here's the info you are seeking.

Q: When does the Windows 8 Consumer Preview expire?
A. The Windows 8 Consumer Preview will expire January 15 2013 at 6:59 PM.
Q: Will I be able to upgrade from pre-release versions of Windows 8 to the final release?
No.

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM

ASRock B75M-GL LGA 1155 Intel B75 (this is with Instant boot OFF which is suppose to make startup time better...)

Intel Core i5-3450S Ivy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.5GHz Turbo)

4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (Which I later fount out will not take advantage of my Motherboard features and CPU :( )

Sweeter than my systems (running anything)! My wife's has a little more RAM, but a smaller hard drive. When I ran Ubuntu off of it via eSATA drive it was really nice!

ki4jgt
September 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Here's the info you are seeking.

Oh :( fiddle sticks. I was hoping MS would see the value of the open source community :).

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Oh :( fiddle sticks. I was hoping MS would see the value of the open source community :).

They see the value of open source... "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine!"

Kinda like a marriage :lolflag: (and I'm the open source...)

doorknob60
September 25th, 2012, 09:09 PM
2. Windows 8 hasn't been released yet.
Not to the public, but it has been released to manufacturers and other people (MSDN, etc.) in its finalized state. Through my School's Dreamspark Premium, I have the official final release of Windows 8 Pro, so in my mind, it's already out. Unfortunately, I don't really like it in the context of a desktop or laptop, though I think it would be enjoyable to use on a tablet.

Skara Brae
September 25th, 2012, 10:30 PM
...Windows takes full MINUTES to shut down, while Ubuntu is very quickly.
Just out of curiosity - how fast does Ubuntu shut down? And which version?

Linux Mint ("Mate") - with the PC specs in my signature - shuts down in 2 seconds. I'm really not joking. Amazing :p
(Cold boot takes much longer, though, so I won't go into that.)

Dragonbite
September 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Just out of curiosity - how fast does Ubuntu shut down? And which version?

Linux Mint ("Mate") - with the PC specs in my signature - shuts down in 2 seconds. I'm really not joking. Amazing :p
(Cold boot takes much longer, though, so I won't go into that.)

Windows 7 is quicker to boot up, but takes a long time to shut down.
Ubuntu 12.04 takes a lot longer to boot up, but shuts down in a reasonable time. The part that takes so much more time is after logging in it just shows the desktop without any panels or launchers for a minute or longer (never timed it before).
I seem to remember it slowing down after installing Gnome-shell (and setting up Online Accounts) just to fool around with it.
My work computer (Windows XP) takes a full 8 minutes to boot up every morning, after I put in the encryption pass phrase. Shutdown takes a while, but I think less than the Windows 7 takes on my home laptop.

forrestcupp
September 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Windows 7 is quicker to boot up, but takes a long time to shut down.
Ubuntu 12.04 takes a lot longer to boot up, but shuts down in a reasonable time. The part that takes so much more time is after logging in it just shows the desktop without any panels or launchers for a minute or longer (never timed it before).
I seem to remember it slowing down after installing Gnome-shell (and setting up Online Accounts) just to fool around with it.

I actually have the opposite experience with Win7 and Ubuntu (actually Mint KDE). For me, Mint boots in a reasonable amount of time, and when you get to your desktop, it's ready to use.

But a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was going to have to go back to Win7, so I booted into it. My experience has been that Win7 gets to the desktop in a reasonable amount of time, but after that, it takes forever before the desktop is actually usable. So I pretty quickly decided that I don't want to have to go back to Win7. Luckily, I didn't actually need the thing I thought I would need it for.

Dragonbite
September 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I've found with Windows it works better if it is booted into frequently.

I know Windows takes a bit before getting fully usable but between SkyDrive, Google Drive, Ubuntu One, Google Music and Dropbox I have set myself up to waiting as these all "phone home" to look for changes. At least I know it is caused by my own doing. :lolflag:

I don't think I've uninstalled Gnome-shell yet and suspect I'll need to do a clean install to get rid of it and see how well Ubuntu will work again. Maybe if 12.10 works on my laptop I'll be able to do a clean install to that and see how that changes things.

forrestcupp
September 26th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Ubuntu One is the worst offender of all of those. It seems like it's slow as molasses. I quit using it because of that.

Dragonbite
September 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Ubuntu One is the worst offender of all of those. It seems like it's slow as molasses. I quit using it because of that.

I'm holding onto it for now because in February I am lined up to doing a presentation on cloud storage and I'll need to be able to demonstrate different services.

Unfortunately, Dropbox is so expensive to make more space and SkyDrive isn't cross-platform (even just being accessible via WebDAV in the file manager would be sufficient since I have 25GB) and Ubuntu One doesn't work with other distributions (maybe as FTP) so there is no "perfect" one for me yet.