PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VirtualBox Upgrade Failed

Ubun2to
September 24th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I just downloaded the latest version of VirtualBox, and GDebi and the Software Center said that it could not open it because the package was corrupt or broken.
So, I checked the checksums, and they were off, so I redownloaded it.
Now, the Software Center says this:

Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-4.1' that conflict: 'virtualbox'. But the '/home/davidlucadou/Downloads/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.0-80737~Ubuntu~precise_amd64.deb' provides it via: 'virtualbox'
GDebi gives me the same error.
The Update Manager (retrieving packages from the official PPA) can't install it, either. This is the error I get:

davidlucadou@HP-DESKTOP:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
virtualbox-4.1
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 70.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 420 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ precise/contrib virtualbox-4.1 amd64 4.1.22-80657~Ubuntu~precise [70.1 MB]
Fetched 70.1 MB in 3min 25s (342 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 423112 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace virtualbox-4.1 4.1.18-78361~Ubuntu~precise (using .../virtualbox-4.1_4.1.22-80657~Ubuntu~precise_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/virtualbox-4.1_4.1.22-80657~Ubuntu~precise_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for python-central ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/virtualbox-4.1_4.1.22-80657~Ubuntu~precise_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It asked me to close the VBoxSVC daemon, but it did not show up on the System Monitor, so it should have been closed.
Why is this?

zvacet
September 25th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Try with

sudo dpkg --configure -a

perlinpinpin
January 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Any news on that one?

I have the exact same problem on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (using the .deb package from virtualbox website):

Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-4.1' that conflict: 'virtualbox'. But the '/***/Downloads/virtualbox-4.2_4.2.6-82870~Ubuntu~oneiric_i386.deb' provides it via: 'virtualbox'

("sudo apt-get upgrade" says everything is up to date - but this is unrelated)

Thanks.

efflandt
January 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Try removing virtualbox 4.1 first. I run 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04, but never did have virtualbox 4.1 because I first got into virtualbox when the current version was already 4.2.4 I think.

So I originally followed the instructions on the virtualbox website for "Debian-based Linux distributions" to enable the repository for it when installing with apt-get, and it recently updated to 4.2.6 automatically.

If you install a manually download a virtualbox deb file it will not update automatically if you did not add the proper repository and key.

PS: Now that I reread the original post, maybe you need to temporarily comment out the virtualbox specific respository in sources.list to purge the old Ubuntu virtualbox.

nestoribili
December 13th, 2013, 03:46 AM
look no more; the solution is here:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/11/virtualbox-4-3-2-released-upgrade-ubuntu-linux-mint/
nb

sky-salim
April 29th, 2014, 08:36 PM
yo tengo el mismo problema, y al intentar repararlo aparece el siguiente error

problemas de dependencias impiden la configuración de virtualbox-qt:
virtualbox-qt depende de virtualbox (= 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.6); sin embargo:
La versión de `virtualbox' en el sistema es 4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.5.

esto paso justo coando se actualizo la version de virtualbox y no encuentro manera de repararlo

sky-salim
April 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM
adicionalmente me manda este mensaje cuando trato de reinstalar

El paquete virtualbox necesita ser reinstalado, pero no se encuentra un archivo para éste.