PDA

View Full Version : how was your first week on ubuntu ?

djibrilcoulibaly
September 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
hello ,
we all felling something when we cacthing something new .
In my case with Ubuntu ( Unix in general ) it is too pretty..
pretty because it's always good to discover new to left the routine .
strange how Windows could hide me Linux ( I feel me fool ) ? hey Ubuntu get up we need you . what's up why didn't you go forward guys ? plan to do it .
I've discovered many things in just one week with you .. wahoo .
to catch the lost time I started to read planty of documents already to up my late ...

I like you ( Ubuntu )

Lucradia
September 23rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
I loved the first week of ubuntu when I tried it :D (Back in 7.04) Not anymore though since Unity / GNOME Shell came along.

Buntu Bunny
September 23rd, 2012, 11:29 PM
My 1st week was back with Hardy Heron. I was so happy to get away from Windows that I was ecstatic.

Lightstar
September 24th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I first tried linux back in 1998. It wasn't all that great back then because there was no wine and games and etc.

After looking at my stuff, seems my first Ubuntu might have been Hoary Hedgehog (5.04).
The first week was amazing. The feeling of novelty and all those new things was so cool. Even though gnome looks like gnome on other distros, Ubuntu was my first debian based one. It always feels good to think that MS. Windows is only an option, and not a need anymore.

Here's a picture of my Ubuntu 6.06 book, came with a DVD.
There's so much info in that book. Though I never really needed to go through it much. There's about 900 pages! It looks like this was the only x.06 version.. I guess they were a little late on that release.

mr john
September 24th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I first used Linux when Phat Linux was around. It didn't work too well with my hardware so I gave up on it.

Ubuntu (Breezy Badger) was the first Linux distro that worked with my wireless adapter. The first week was like Christmas come early because I was getting to try out all these new applications.

Now the novelty has kind of worn off. I know what I like in Ubuntu, and I also know what I dislike. Development is very slow for many apps, the quality of GUI's isn't always great and some of the premium apps are missing from Linux and many hardware devices don't work. The new Unity GUI is a bit slower than gnome2 but it does look better. I like that I can easily boot from USB and that I don't need to worry about licenses etc. I will probably keep using Ubuntu sometimes, but when Windows 7 came out I found myself using Windows more often.

AllRadioisDead
September 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hardy was awesome. I loved Gnome 2.

BrokenKingpin
September 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I think I tried the first or second release of Ubuntu after being a long time Red Hat and Debian user. My first impressions of Ubuntu at the time were quite poor. I didn't like the look, and number of things were broken for me.

I then tried it again a few years later and was surprised at how good it was. I was having some hardware issues with other distros and everything just worked under Ubuntu. I have not really looked back since. I try other distros here and there, but (X)Ubuntu just works for me.

JayKay3OOO
September 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
First week of Ubuntu was more interesting to learn about all the FOSS that is around. I was blown over that all this software existed and how brainwashed I'd become by all the marketing hype thinking I needed expensive software then only using 5% of the capabilities as if some day I'd use the other features that I never did.

Ubuntu was simply a portal to the software and I've been using FOSS ever since.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 25th, 2012, 12:29 AM
My first week with Ubuntu was with 6.06. The only problem I remember fighting was the wireless; however, my home was CAT5 wired so it wasn't that big of a problem. I can't remember how long it took for me to get wireless to work. Ubuntu 6.06 was less frustrating than Mandrake, SuSE, and Slackware that I had used previously. Those frustrations, a long time ago, were not major unsolvable issues with Mandrake, SuSE, and Slackware. Ubuntu 6.06 was supposed to be 6.04; however, 6.04 was't ready in time so it was delayed.

vexorian
September 25th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I don't really remember.

Linuxratty
September 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM
My 1st week was back with Hardy Heron. I was so happy to get away from Windows that I was ecstatic.

I know the feeling! Way back when I ran Linspire live for three days and loved it! After the third day,I asked myself why was I still running Windows,as I could not resist running the live disk..So I installed Linspire and the rest is history.
I'd used various distros before finally calling Ubuntu my home with feisty...
I liked it and I continue to like it.

I'm using Fallback as my de and it's as comfy as an old pair of slippers.

djibrilcoulibaly
September 25th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I've started ubuntu just week ago (Ubuntu 12.04 ), it's was my birthday gift . still fighting with some problems .
like my usb modem ( huawei BCM328 ) detection problem , but reading alot of post about it ...
hope to be powerfull like you here as soon possible . '' the futur belong at Unix ...

ps : I have been in late

WinterMadness
September 25th, 2012, 03:09 AM
i remember the first time i finally had my own linux os on my computer. First, I was pretty impressed that the applications were organized intelligently/categorically, as opposed to windows, that just alphabetized everything. I was also liking the fact that you had options with window managers etc. I didnt know you could do that, and it really made me realize how locked down windows was.

djibrilcoulibaly
September 25th, 2012, 03:16 AM
yes I got another sense to be geek , and I saw that the world is realy no limit

bamboorebecca
September 25th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Today is my first day. It's strange that i can't edit my profile. :(

Lightstar
September 25th, 2012, 03:38 AM

There is two places to edit your profiles and options.

First place is the UserCP that you see at the top left of this website.

The second area would be by clicking your own name that appears in the top right corner.

djibrilcoulibaly
September 25th, 2012, 03:40 AM

welcome bro ,
you hadn't time that why you didn't see , you need 50 post before get permission to edit your profile . it's forum rules why can us ? and editing profile is not too important . best is to here , to contribute and learning:lolflag: .

Myki
September 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Surprisingly (to me at least) good. I expected it to suck. Or, I expected it not to be as good as Windows 7.

Reality check came though. o_O

I had no trouble getting used to Unity. In fact, I prefer it much more over the Gnome (Yeah, I gave it a try to see what I missed)interface.

I have zero intention of using Windows again. I'm not a gamer by any means, and so I'm not missing out on that aspect of things. And, even if I was, dual booting just to play games isn't a big deal.

Why would I use something I expected to suck? Because, I wanted to give it a try once and for all. I've always been curious about it and so, I figured, "Why not?"... I never expected to be joining a forum a couple weeks later about it and making it my primary OS..

Jackalyn
September 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Well----I wish I had used the disk a long time ago on a laptop where Windows had died. I was just glad to get anything going. It was confusing at first, but I have figured out there is a code for most things in the terminal and as long as I ask the right question someone tells me the code. In the first week, people said stuff that made no sense because like most cultures there is a language to learn. For me the first week was good enough to stick with it and carry on. I would not have done so without the nice people on this forum.:popcorn:

mamamia88
September 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM
My first week of ubuntu i basically thought it was ok but nothing special. kept a windows dualboot just in case i needed something. it wasn't until i booted back into windows vista that i realized how awesome linux was. i'm actually enjoying my first few weeks of arch more than i did my first few weeks of ubuntu. when i started with ubuntu i basically wanted a mac without the price tag. Now i'm just super curious to learn new stuff and enjoy using the system. BTW i'm on a netbook that is at least three years old and it's running amazing. Probably would have sold it for an ipad or something if it wasn't for linux.

OrangeCrate
September 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
My first experience with Ubuntu was Breezy (5.10). Fortunately, I took it slow and easy as I had a dual boot set up with XP, for production work. Most Linux stuff was fairly intuitive, and what I didn't get at first pass, I spent a lot of time searching for answers, particularily in the first week or two. My experience is about what any new user might expect, trying something new.

vexorian
September 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I found my first post in ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=167409

hmnn grim. But eventually I learned what the trick with the effing printer was . I don't feed it color cartridges, but the hpijs driver likes to print with that cartridge (even if it does not exist) unless you specifically tell it to print in grayscale.

In fact, my brother's windows 7 of this year seems to have a worse version of that problem. Just crashing when there is anything that is not solid black in whatever you are printing. Poor printer, it is too old for windows 7 it seems. Now that's planned obsolescency.

djibrilcoulibaly
September 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I found my first post in ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=167409

hmnn grim. But eventually I learned what the trick with the effing printer was . I don't feed it color cartridges, but the hpijs driver likes to print with that cartridge (even if it does not exist) unless you specifically tell it to print in grayscale.

In fact, my brother's windows 7 of this year seems to have a worse version of that problem. Just crashing when there is anything that is not solid black in whatever you are printing. Poor printer, it is too old for windows 7 it seems. Now that's planned obsolescency.

6 years later ? this kind of problem make you laugthing now ..

Welly Wu
September 26th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I first tried Ubuntu 9.04 back in April 2009. It was very difficult to learn how to use Ubuntu and it did not work on my Toshiba netbook that well. I had a lot of hardware devices that needed to be tweaked in order to get them to work properly. It was not a lot of fun and there were many long hours that I spent trying to get stuff to work. I made a ton of mistakes. I eventually switched back to Windows XP PRO SP-3 and then I bought an ASUS notebook PC with Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit.

I don't know why I decided to switch back to Ubuntu full-time, but I got frustrated with Windows 7 because it became unreliable and it crashed a lot of the time only after 8 months of usage. I had to re-install Windows 7 from scratch many times. It was an annoying pain in the ***.

I would say that the first time that I was determined to figure out how to use Ubuntu was with 11.10 64 bit on my previous ASUS notebook PC. This time, the learning curve was not nearly as steep and most of the hardware worked right out of the box except for Nvidia Optimus. I found Ubuntu 11.10 easier to use than 9.04 64 bit because of Ubuntu Unity.

Today, I have a new System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) with Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS. This is the best Ubuntu experience and it feels like my first full-time usage of Ubuntu. Now, I have a good taste of Ubuntu and it is terrific. I won't go back to Microsoft Windows that much in the future. Ubuntu is fresh and compelling to use and it is rock solid stable and reliable with LTS releases. I can focus on my work and get real work done with Ubuntu.

LADmaticCA
September 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM
My first week with Ubuntu wasn't that great. I was using 8.10 on a wubi install and could not get full resolution with my graphics card. The driver would install fine, but I would be left with a black screen on reboot. I searched forums for a fix about two and a half days off and on.

I was sooo close to giving up on Ubuntu until I found a suggestion on the Kubuntu release notes: Add "Options UseDisplayDevice DFP" to the xorg file. Sure enough it worked. All the time I spent trying differnt command fixes, I actually began to learn what I was inputing. Looking back it actually made the struggle worth it for what I learned.

I was determined to find a fix because I could already see the speed difference in the way my computer performed, and I loved the simple Gnome interface. After that my week got a lot better :) and the real fun and learning began. Thank you Ubuntu for bringing me to the world of Linux!

djibrilcoulibaly
September 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'm still at how to stage yet ... but i bypass one stage today . make file executable .
awsome :) feeling good on way

kio_http
September 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM
My first experience with Ubuntu was with warty and then later I tried breezy and it was simply aweful. At the time I hated the UI and the brown colours. Mind you I was already using other distros like Fedora and Suse. I was less experienced at the time and I would not compile stuff etc. I also never liked Gnome 2 and I had only used KDE 3 before.

All this changed when a community based Kubuntu project started. I used Kubuntu Hoary but left quickly as it lacked some things I liked about Fedora and Suse, the kickoff menu being one of them (which is now default in KDE4). Finally I had a lot more experience by then and installed Kubuntu Dapper. It was really enjoyable and I got the kickoff menu etc running. I still have nostalgic feelings about my setup on Dapper Drake with Amarok 1 and Super Karamba etc. I loved the (fake) transparency things that existed at the time such as taskbar transparency and the crystal window decoration that maps the wallpaper onto titlebar.

So many years forward and I am enjoying a glassy KDE 4 using the same crystal theme but hardware accelerated and real transparency instead.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM
My first week with Ubuntu was with 6.06. The only problem I remember fighting was the wireless; however, my home was CAT5 wired so it wasn't that big of a problem. I can't remember how long it took for me to get wireless to work. Ubuntu 6.06 was less frustrating than Mandrake, SuSE, and Slackware that I had used previously. Those frustrations, a long time ago, were not major unsolvable issues with Mandrake, SuSE, and Slackware. Ubuntu 6.06 was supposed to be 6.04; however, 6.04 was't ready in time so it was delayed.

I thought I would pass this bit of my Ubuntu history on to new users.

As I stated in that post #9, I started using Ubuntu with 6.06. I got it working the way I liked. I didn't know what a Long-Term-Support (LTS) was, nor that 6.06 was a LTS. The other distros I had used didn't have the concept of LTS.

I upgraded to 6.10. I had to fix the wireless again and other driver problems. Then I upgraded to 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, and finally 10.04 LTS. [Note: when I say upgrade, I may be referring to either an upgrade using the Update Manager or a fresh install keeping my /home.]

Once I knew about the LTS and what it is, I started to use those for may mission critical machines/VMs. I stayed with 10.04 until 12.04.01 was available. I have non-mission critical machines/VMs that I use with non-LTS release.

I guess I am a slow learner. :lolflag:

Balthazar54
September 27th, 2012, 02:35 AM
My first week was just a couple of months ago. I was surprised at how easy it is to use. The only problem I had was getting the wireless to work, and a quick forum search turned up the solution.

Things have come a long way since I ran a couple of SCO Xenix systems many, many, many years ago.

If I could access Hulu and Netflix I don't know if I would need Windows at all now.

angry_johnnie
September 27th, 2012, 04:16 AM
First week using ubuntu I couldn't stop making the cube spin every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'd been using smaller distributions before: Feather Linux, DSL, Puppy...

Beryl (back then) was quite a shocker! I'd never expected so much eye candy: burning windows, wobbly windows, water drops, waves, painting with fire, kiba dock, cubes and whatnot...

I killed it many times before I learned to use it with moderation :p

mamamia88
September 27th, 2012, 04:38 AM
First week using ubuntu I couldn't stop making the cube spin every 2 or 3 seconds.

I'd been using smaller distributions before: Feather Linux, DSL, Puppy...

Beryl (back then) was quite a shocker! I'd never expected so much eye candy: burning windows, wobbly windows, water drops, waves, painting with fire, kiba dock, cubes and whatnot...

I killed it many times before I learned to use it with moderation :p lol sounds familiar.

djibrilcoulibaly
September 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
4 days ago still not connected on internet with Ubuntu . I need you to bypass this step .
plz get me out here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2061631 .
I've readed this http://minhazulhaque.blogspot.ca/2012/05/gui-for-bcs-mobile-wimax-on-linux.html but still confused

newb85
September 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
My first week in Ubuntu, my Windows wasn't broken enough to motivate me to spend the time learning Ubuntu. Somewhere in that first week, I asked the friend who had helped me install Ubuntu to switch the Grub default to Windows. :lolflag:

But Windows continued getting slower and slower, and after a couple weeks I began using Ubuntu for web browsing and basic document/spreadsheet work.

In retrospect, my Windows becoming unbearably slow was the best thing that could have happened to me.:D

rg4w
September 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
My first week of a non-VM install was when I got an EeePC netbook and immediately replaced the odd Linux that came with it with Ubuntu 8.10.

Wow.

Everything worked right out of the box, and was a joy to use.

So then I installed it on my Dell laptop, and had the same everything-works-and-is-much-more-fun-than-Windows experience.

Then I went through that phase we all go through, when we start evangelizing this great new thing we've discovered to everyone patient enough to listen. :)

I've calmed down a bit since then, but still love Ubuntu all these years later and happy to help a friend or two come on board whenever they ask about it. So looking forward to 12.10.

deadflowr
September 27th, 2012, 07:03 PM
My first week was done on a whim.
A friend had gotten a new pc and wanted to recycle their old one. My hometown has a free quarterly recycling program and normally we bring the old system there when time comes.
This time, however, we had ample time till recycle date, and for burps and giggles, I decided to completely dismantle the pc. It sat in the corner for a few weeks, until one day I thought, hey why not rebuild it and try to learn something about computers(beside standard Windows uses).
I was vaguely aware of linux, and decided to inquire more, hit google found Ubuntu.com, read about it, saw free, downloaded the image and promptly ran a virus scan(Windows gave me a slight edge of mis/distrust).
After rebuilding my system, I popped in the disk, loaded it up and installed. I had my normal system set to find any drivers(which I was sure I'd need).
Upon reboot, everything was working out of the box.
Opened up firefox and was online. Graphics worked well enough. Sound worked well enough.
Within a couple of hours I had discover synaptic, and instantly became an obsessive compulsive downloader(I think I installed 50 programs in the first day). Promptly aware that I probably went overboard I reinstalled the system within two days.
Other than the first easy reinstall, my first week was awesome.
Two things that circled my mind the first week were, how is this free? And why don't any of my windows programs run?

Wild_Duck66
September 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM
When Amiga Format finished I was sent Linux Format with a cover CD so I had to buy a PC to try it out. I started buying Mandrake powerpacks and SuSE Professional, when they went Opensuse it was not the same, took ages to install Nvidia drivers and RPM games just froze on the install box. I always prefered KDE but when I tried Ubuntu (Warty I think) the Synaptic package manager won me over. Then came Unity....now its back to KDE (with traditional menu launcher) on Kubuntu.