PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA supports open source

forrestcupp
September 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
NVIDIA will be releasing programming documentation for its Tegra architecture graphics core. (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/23/nvidia-to-offer-up-documentation-for-tegra-graphics-core/)

What are your thoughts on this?

Lucradia
September 23rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Now we'll all be able to point out the flaws of their mobile arch. Hopefully get them to make it same-gen like AMD.

Merk42
September 23rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
I guess they finally reacted to Linus'...'colorful' language about nVidia.

MdMax
September 24th, 2012, 06:08 AM
What are your thoughts on this?

Good news, a small step in the right direction. Why only Tegra ? :confused:

Paqman
September 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Why only Tegra ? :confused:

Tegra = mobile = Android. Android is a much bigger platform than desktop Linux, so it's not weird for them to provide it with better support.

kaldor
September 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM
This makes me a little more optimistic about the future of the Nouveau project. While this documentation won't affect desktop GPUs, it shows that NVIDIA may be more willing to take the path of AMD in the future.

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Tegra = mobile = Android. Android is a much bigger platform than desktop Linux, so it's not weird for them to provide it with better support.

I think this is probably the answer. Every Tegra device I know of runs Android. So of course they're going to want it to work well with the Linux kernel.

I honestly wasn't all that excited when I read it's only for the Tegra. That is in their best interest, unlike the desktop GPUs.

AllRadioisDead
September 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
There is a Windows 8 device in the pipeline running a Tegra 3, the Asus Tablet 600.