PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] My keyboard does not let me write special characters anymore

toftenes
September 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm not able to write the following characters anymore:
ò ó ~ ô ö
and several others. Annoying as I need them when I write.

All of these characters have in common that to write them I need to combine "Alt Gr" or shift-key with a second key followed with a letter. So three steps in total for the letters I struggle with. It did work just a week or two ago.

It does still work in console (init 3) and in the guest account but not in init 5 on the account I use daily.

The problem applies for all programs in the X environment(standard gnome).

What I've tried:
- System settings -> keyboard layout: Is set to Norwegian
- Switching to English and back did not help

StinkySQL
September 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM
It does still work in console (init 3) and in the guest account but not in init 5 on the account I use daily.
The problem applies for all programs in the X environment(standard gnome).

Sounds like that specific account then, is there any way that the map was modified? I'm not an expert, just a guess.

toftenes
September 23rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Yep, it is my specific account. I'm sure I've not edited I've not edited the keyboard map on purpose. Plus I don't know if there is any keymap-file in my home folder. It has to be some config file located in my home folder that is causing this. Right?

I just installed and configured urxvt, and unlike the gnome terminal, my keys work there, so for the moment I'll have to use "emacs -nw" in the terminal rather than the graphical one for writing.

toftenes
September 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet, entered init 3, ran:

mv -R ~/.* bak/

and copied back the config files I needed. I had to set up the desktop environment all over. Not that it was that much work.

It was not a pretty way to solve it but at least I can write normally again.

uzumakifahim
September 25th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Ok, I bit the bullet, entered init 3, ran:

mv -R ~/.* bak/

and copied back the config files I needed. I had to set up the desktop environment all over. Not that it was that much work.

It was not a pretty way to solve it but at least I can write normally again.

I'm facing almost the same problem. I think I could solve my own problem with the same solution as you, but I can't understand your solution. Would you please describe your solution more clearly here.

Thanks in advance.

uzumakifahim
September 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I've tried with this command in terminal

mv -R ~/.* bak/

but terminal showing that, this command is invalid. I don't understand what to do.

How can I solve this problem. Please anyone help me.