PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ubunut

amboxer21
September 22nd, 2012, 02:56 AM
I want to ask some of the senior members a question. I am a member of a forum that for some reason, swears Ubuntu is trash. They are recommending all new users to use Crunchbang instead. I think Ubuntu is the best distro for a beginner. They say Ubuntu is bloated, Unity sucks, there is a low learning curve and Gnome 3 is garbage.

I have been using Linux for 4 years. I program in a few languages and do everything on the command line with Awk and Sed. So, their arguments about low learning curve is bullcrap! I have used Arch Linux too and for some reason I keep coming back to Ubuntu or a variant like Lubuntu(Which I am using now).

So the question is how do you feel about Ubuntu? What are your opinions/thoughts/insight on what i have said.

StinkySQL
September 22nd, 2012, 03:01 AM
I'm not a senior, but as a Windows user up until last week I'd say this Ubuntu is very easy to learn and use.

cariboo
September 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Actually there is a saying on the Debian forums "XXXXXXX is for those that can't figure out Debian." Replace the X's with your Ubuntu or Debian derivative of choice.

Personally I use both Ubuntu and Debian. I started using Linux in 1998, and have used RedHat, Mandrake, Xandros, PCLOS, Mepis, Debian and Ubuntu. I've tried most of the others, but none really seemed to fit my way of doing things.

PaulInBHC
September 22nd, 2012, 04:32 AM
Ubunut

I like that. I suggest a name change.

BlinkinCat
September 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
Ubunut

I like that. I suggest a name change.

And all users could be known as Ubunutters - :guitar:

vasa1
September 22nd, 2012, 04:40 AM
I have been using Linux for 4 years. I program in a few languages and do everything on the command line with Awk and Sed. ...

So the question is how do you feel about Ubuntu? What are your opinions/thoughts/insight on what i have said.
Second point first. If you've been a member of any Linux forum for a while, you'll surely agree that there is absolutely no shortage of "opinions/thoughts/insight". Just how productive that is, I don't know, but I'm assuming that there is some positive aspect, possibly therapeutic, to that.

But, there is a shortage of genuine support for beginners and I'm sure, with the experience you have, you'll be a valuable asset in that aspect.

malspa
September 22nd, 2012, 04:50 AM
I've been using both Debian and Ubuntu for six years or so, and I use other distros as well. All the Ubuntu hatred is interesting and sometimes humorous, but I continue to use it; I would have dropped it at any point where I started to feel like it was no good.

I can't say whether "Ubuntu is the best distro for a beginner" or not. I think that depends on the beginner.

BlinkinCat
September 22nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
I have been using Linux for 4 years. I program in a few languages and do everything on the command line with Awk and Sed. So, their arguments about low learning curve is bullcrap! I have used Arch Linux too and for some reason I keep coming back to Ubuntu or a variant like Lubuntu(Which I am using now).

My apologies to you amboxer21, I was not meaning to make fun of the seriousness of your post. Your knowledge is certainly more than mine - :p

amboxer21
September 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
And all users could be known as Ubunutters - :guitar:

LMAO your a funny guy! That happens when I am speed typing. More often then you think too. Please don't apologize either. This gave me a laugh.

amboxer21
September 22nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Actually there is a saying on the Debian forums "XXXXXXX is for those that can't figure out Debian." Replace the X's with your Ubuntu or Debian derivative of choice.

Personally I use both Ubuntu and Debian. I started using Linux in 1998, and have used RedHat, Mandrake, Xandros, PCLOS, Mepis, Debian and Ubuntu. I've tried most of the others, but none really seemed to fit my way of doing things.

Yeah I've heard that before too. I think it comes from immature and gnorant people though. I installed Arch linux and sorted through the glibc update. Which was a complete nightmare. Running Arch on anything but gnome just didn't do it for me.

I honestly just like to program and tinker with the OS. Whether it be learn a new language/ work in one I already know or whip up some awk/sed/bash scripts. Even work with the internals of the system.

Ubuntu makes it all that a breeze! I just can't understand why these people continue to say its a horrible OS for beginners and crunchbang is better. I find myself getting offended and think, these people must be retarded!

fontis
September 22nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
I don't think Ubuntu is terrible for beginners. In fact, I would say that Ubuntu and it's derivatives are great for beginners. Why? Because it's probably the most documented "up-to-date" distro out there. Just look at these forums, the activity here far supersedes any other community hangout for any linux distro. Which ultimately means that if you ever have a question or a problem, the "backbone" will help you out pretty darn fast.

But to call it "best" is hard because it's a subjective term and observation. What's "best" for you might not be "best" for me.

But... with that being said. I think we all should always take our hats off for the incredible work and pillar that is Debian. Without Debian, none of this would have been possible.

Moral of the post? DEBIAN OP! (=Overpowered, for the pre 2000's people here :D)

AllRadioisDead
September 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
OP is either from 4Chan or the Arch forums.

cariboo
September 23rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Yeah I've heard that before too. I think it comes from immature and gnorant people though. I installed Arch linux and sorted through the glibc update. Which was a complete nightmare. Running Arch on anything but gnome just didn't do it for me.

I honestly just like to program and tinker with the OS. Whether it be learn a new language/ work in one I already know or whip up some awk/sed/bash scripts. Even work with the internals of the system.

Ubuntu makes it all that a breeze! I just can't understand why these people continue to say its a horrible OS for beginners and crunchbang is better. I find myself getting offended and think, these people must be retarded!

The last time I checked out the forum, I recognized quite a few user names of former and current members, that left for varying reasons.

drawkcab
September 23rd, 2012, 02:53 AM
It's hard to say sometimes. I think 'buntu derivatives are a good place for beginners. But I also agree that the shift to gtk3 leaves things a bit bloated for some of us who have more modest hardware and confusing for some others.

I'd answer by saying that 'buntu + a desktop environment scaled to your hardware and in line with your preferences is a good place to start for a beginner...and I think we have to admit sometimes that's not vanilla ubuntu but some derivative.

critin
September 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
I want to ask some of the senior members a question. I am a member of a forum that for some reason, swears Ubuntu is trash. They are recommending all new users to use Crunchbang instead. I think Ubuntu is the best distro for a beginner. They say Ubuntu is bloated, Unity sucks, there is a low learning curve and Gnome 3 is garbage.

I've gone to other forums a few times and rarely do I see more than 3 replies to a bona fide request for support. Ubuntu forums are busy and helpful ALL the time.

One thing I've NEVER seen on ubuntu forums though, is the dissing of ANY other distro--it just isn't done here. If devs and users are confident in their choices, they don't have to diss another to boost ubuntu up. It stands on its own. They also know that most versions, distros. variants, forks are related in some way.

The friendliness of use depends on many variables, mostly the user, but also the hardware they're using. It was certainly friendly to me, and still is the easiest for me to use. I've had NO serious issues in all the years I've used it. If you treat it friendly, it will be friendly.

lisati
September 23rd, 2012, 03:28 AM
They say Ubuntu is bloated, Unity sucks, there is a low learning curve and Gnome 3 is garbage.

I'd probably say that having a low learning curve can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you understand by the term "learning curve." My minimal exposure to the study of economics suggests that the term is a commonly misused reference to a graph.

alexfish
September 23rd, 2012, 03:36 AM
Where does Ubuntu sit , is more of than a "Question"

it is about how to bring people together and share a common aim

Yes we see certain life styles leave , that is life , only they will tell a story. but is true ,

Often success breeds Jealousy, do not need to answer that one.

Think back how Ubuntu used to be , and to where it sits now , or even think less than x years ago of how main stream vendors shun`d Linux.

Now it is 3 ++ .

Read what is in the real world. this is only the basics and of how Nix will be the the future , they are all climbing aboard

In reality , in some quarters , and in some close quarters, set your differences aside , a line is a line a circle is a circle.

if it is meant to a square , say so , if its not meant to be a circle , say so.

This kind **** , Stars again :D , is for Play school Juvenile Delinquents, who do better " by going fishing without a rod and line" , but there again

they think I have the money , so think "I will win" , How sad is That. at least common sense tells us different. but these Variants, do not give up

Fly spray can be effective if it becomes an annoyance. There again I would Vote for the come back of the Fly Squash "Squat" , it sounds better when it connects.

How thick can some Variants be. or even how can truth , not be truth in some parts of the the world. " cos you got money" . Bah

Ubuntu has Placed Linux in a ranking I thought would never be possible as regards a desk-top or user interface, Mark , that took some doing,

Main Stream Vendors , Even Intel , realise what Ubuntu is about, Denial of defeat is beyond normal comprehension,

Where does Ubuntu sit now, or in the future , Keep watching , it is all Happening,

PS: why cant the Spell Checker , Still not Spell Ubuntu [-X

Linuxratty
September 23rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
I like Ubuntu as an OS...Don't care for Unity,so I'm using Fallback..Ubuntu is certainly not a trash distro and does not seem bloated...Not sure what they mean by bloated anyway.

That being said,for me, Ubuntu gets the job done.
I've used Linux for 9 years and started using Ubuntu with feisty.
At LI (see sig) we don't support any one distro and feel people should use what they like.Distro trashing is strongly discouraged at LI at least.

cariboo
September 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
I like Ubuntu as an OS...Don't care for Unity,so I'm using Fallback..Ubuntu is certainly not a trash distro and does not seem bloated...Not sure what they mean by bloated anyway.

For most people bloat seems to mean stuff I don't use. :)

Buntu Bunny
September 23rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
But, there is a shortage of genuine support for beginners ...

This is very true. Even Official Documentation is sometimes too techy. This forum is very good, but understandably it sometimes takes awhile to get an answer to a question.

aykoola
September 23rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
as for other people dissing Ubuntu, in my experience it's mostly the i've discovered my purpose in life to be a geek pimpled brats who slander all the time, why the older folks mostly discuss the philosophy behind ubuntu and question it. I've seen mostly people arguing how Mark is trying to be the next Jobs and doing a ****** job at it.

amboxer21
September 25th, 2012, 06:38 PM
as for other people dissing Ubuntu, in my experience it's mostly the i've discovered my purpose in life to be a geek pimpled brats who slander all the time, why the older folks mostly discuss the philosophy behind ubuntu and question it. I've seen mostly people arguing how Mark is trying to be the next Jobs and doing a ****** job at it.

I'm still baffled as to why some people would bash this distro. While Ubuntu is the Reason *Nix is pretty well known and widely used. Maybe your right though. Its the pimply faced teenagers that need to bash Ubuntu to come off as a Linux expert. Idk but I think the users there contradict their statement about Ubuntu having a low learning curve! I mean I know 4 programming languages(including a GUI toolkit) and am a power shell user(in love with Awk!), and I learned it all on Ubuntu! Im pretty sure im one of the less experienced members too. I see there are some seriously experienced users here, so what's their excuse for y'all? Here's one of many, look here -> http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=2886183.

Erik1984
September 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM
What can those other distros do that *buntu can't? For me as just a desktop user I have no idea.

Skara Brae
September 25th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Long time ago I've posted, or even read, the Ubuntuforums.

Ubuntu "pre-Gnome 3" is the best distro that I personally have ever used. Ubuntu was (note the past tense) so good that I have never had to get into Ubuntu deeper. Ubuntu simply was "finished". The way I think Linux was supposed to be. I loved it!

After accidentally deleting my Ubuntu 10.04 partition, I didn't bother reinstalling 10.04 because in some 6 months support will be dropped. I switched to Linux Mint 13 ("Mate") instead.

It is not Ubuntu (nothing ever will be...), and trying out Compiz broke my newly installed system, but Mint definitely comes close to "pre-Gnome 3" Ubuntu.

Just a few moments ago, I was looking at the screens of the new Ubuntu and (again) I went like What the heck is that?

After having used Ubuntu since "Gutsy Gibbon" back in 2007, I feel that Canonical is destroying Ubuntu in the same way that Microsoft is destroying their 0S with Windows 8 (What the heck is that?). Of course, this is just my opinion, so it's not much use to reply to this.

Since Linux Mint "Maya" will be supported till 2017, I will most likely stay with Linux Mint. But I will never forget Ubuntu. If Ubuntu hadn't been so good, I might never have gotten into Linux.

So, thank you, Canonical, and goodbye and good luck.