PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity's Dash in other DE's

KellKheraptis
September 22nd, 2012, 01:15 AM
Has anyone ever attempted to put the dash in another DE? I'd love to run that feature on say, Openbox. Just curious, and also curious how feasible its implementation would be. Thanks!

wojox
September 22nd, 2012, 01:27 AM
Openbox is a window manager. Compiz is a compositing window manager. I don't think it would work that way.

KellKheraptis
September 22nd, 2012, 01:31 AM
Openbox is a window manager. Compiz is a compositing window manager. I don't think it would work that way.

There's xcompmngr for that in OB. I just want the Dash (Winkey bind to open the Unity Dash).

wojox
September 22nd, 2012, 01:39 AM
Right, unity is a plugin for compiz. That's what I was getting to.

KellKheraptis
September 22nd, 2012, 02:39 AM
Right, unity is a plugin for compiz. That's what I was getting to.

I see, and good to know. If nothing else, it makes it a lot easier to look for the code, now :D I do know you can run Compiz without a DE below, so there's gotta be a way to poach its plugins. Thanks for the heads up! Also, has anyone ever tried to port plugins in this manner? I'll ask here, but also going to check around the WM section some more for it.

wojox
September 22nd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Here's the code for Unity (http://askubuntu.com/a/28472/2973)

KellKheraptis
September 22nd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Here's the code for Unity (http://askubuntu.com/a/28472/2973)

Thanks wojox. I actually snooped around the forum and was lead to the Gnome extensions, which I am pretty sure I can get to work in Openbox (since I'll be using gnome's panel for the Cinnamon app menu, so no extra deps). It got me pointed in the right direction. I still might try and turn it into a standalone if I'm really feeling froggy this weekend :D

zombifier25
September 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
You can also run the Unity 2D Launcher (which is independent from Compiz) along with the Dash in Openbox. Theoretically it should work, can't see any reason it shouldn't. Run
unity-2d-shell

KellKheraptis
September 23rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
You can also run the Unity 2D Launcher (which is independent from Compiz) along with the Dash in Openbox. Theoretically it should work, can't see any reason it shouldn't. Run
unity-2d-shell

You know, I hadn't thought of that...does 2D still use Metacity btw?

zombifier25
September 25th, 2012, 03:56 PM
You know, I hadn't thought of that...does 2D still use Metacity btw?

Yes.