PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been perma banned from a forum?

johnnybgoode83
September 21st, 2012, 08:52 PM
As it says in the title. I thought it would be interesting to find out if anyone has ever been so naughty online that a forum didn't want them back.

I got a permanent ban from Digital Spy because I told someone to get a grip and called him a nazi because he told me to get a grip for daring post an opinion that differed from his.

DobsonM
September 21st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Yes I did, from a Metal music forum for mentioning I listen to Metallica. Grr.

dniMretsaM
September 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Nope. I got a 48 hour ban (not here) once, but I was unbanned in a few hours, though, since it was a rather confusing misunderstanding.

Jakin
September 22nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
Nah, iv'e only been to a handful of forums ever; Once i join i try to "act right".

QIII
September 22nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
Used to get kicked off permanently on a daily basis on one forum.

Kept changing my nick and my IP.

My nickname here is the last variation of the name I used on that forum.

(No, it was not a help forum. But I did generally try to be helpful by providing instruction on Classical Logic. This was not appreciated at times by those who continued to use common logical fallacies. Things got heated. Words were exchanged. My brother still hangs out on that forum. He is a little more subtle than I and less prone to the use of colorful language.)

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Of course not. :-\"

fyfe54
September 22nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
As it says in the title. I thought it would be interesting to find out if anyone has ever been so naughty online that a forum didn't want them back.

I got a permanent ban from Digital Spy because I told someone to get a grip and called him a nazi because he told me to get a grip for daring post an opinion that differed from his.

That was you?:lolflag:

warm cardigan
September 22nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
Yes.

forrestcupp
September 22nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
I got kicked out of a farmers' forum once for saying that Case International is better than John Deere.

Not really, but I'll bet I'd be booted off of here for saying that American football is real football and it's much better than soccer. :)

cariboo
September 22nd, 2012, 04:18 AM
I got kicked out of a farmers' forum once for saying that Case International is better than John Deere.

Not really, but I'll bet I'd be booted off of here for saying that American football is real football and it's much better than soccer. :)

Actually Canadian Football is better than both. :-D

BlinkinCat
September 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Actually Canadian Football is better than both. :-D

I would like to suggest that Australian Rules Football is better than all three - ;)

QIII
September 22nd, 2012, 05:29 AM
Football? Bah! Sissies!

"Combat Basketball" like we played when I was an Officer in the Army. Now that's a man's sport!

I have to admit the broken neck and fused vertebrae thing still bothers me a bit, though.

carl4926
September 22nd, 2012, 05:39 AM
Football? Bah! Sissies!

"Combat Basketball" like we played when I was an Officer in the Army. Now that's a man's sport!

I have to admit the broken neck and fused vertebrae thing still bothers me a bit, though.

Off topic! Ban him :D

Not for me so far. I have a standard to set by way of example, else I'd be a hypocrite.

Docaltmed
September 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Some whack nut on a forum took offence to a few comments of mine and started making "anonymous" death threats. It didn't take me long with my ninja haXOR skillz to track the threats back to the forum member. (actually, he was a real idiot. A 4-year-old using a Commodore and a modem could have figured it out.)

I went to the forum administrator with the issue and the guy's identity. The admin (a bit of a whackjob himself) just shrugged his shoulders and said "meh."

So I went public with the guy's emails on the forum itself. Copied his obscene threats and how I identified him. SHAZZAM!! Permaban.

Plus side, the threats stopped.

johnnybgoode83
September 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM

I bet I get kicked off from here for saying GAA is better than both of those ):P

stalkingwolf
September 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
more than one. a conspiracy site , a couple religion/alt religion sites.

warm cardigan
September 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
American football is real football and it's much better than soccer. :)

The only interesting, worthwhile kind of American Football is this kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb1hKmV4LA0 ;)

vexorian
September 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
I got banned from a paranormal BS forum (I grew up to become a full skeptic) because I kept being problematic (As in, I had zero tolerance for letting some antivaxer get away with their harmful, completely wrong, conspiracy theories).

forrestcupp
September 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
I bet I get kicked off from here for saying GAA is better than both of those ):PAre you talking about Gaelic Football from the Gaelic Athletic Association or Ford GAA tractor motors? Both kind of apply to my post. :)

The only interesting, worthwhile kind of American Football is this kind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb1hKmV4LA0 ;)
I disagree with your statement, but I do agree with that music being interesting. :)

pompel9
September 22nd, 2012, 11:01 PM
I have never been perma banned on any forums.

But I have perma banned quite a few, since I am a higher moderator on a forum (as high as you can get before you get to be admin).

OrangeCrate
September 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Nope, but with my predilection for mixing it up with Admins once in a while, I'm surprised I haven't been.

WinterMadness
September 23rd, 2012, 04:03 AM
oh boy, have i ever. ive been banned from gamespot like a million times, and probably some other places too

Docaltmed
September 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
oh boy, have i ever. ive been banned from gamespot like a million times, and probably some other places too

Which brings up a another question -- how many of us have returned to the scene of our crimes in another persona?

In my case, I did, because there were a couple of people there whose conversations I enjoyed and I wanted to keep communicating with them and stay in touch.

But you can darn well bet that I disguised *any* personal info thoroughly. In fact, this is the only forum that I participate in where I feel comfortable being relatively transparent.

Everybody else gets the full deep cover treatment; no personal info whatsoever and access only via the Tor network.

zombifier25
September 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
Nope. And this has nothing to do with the fact I participate in only 2 (3 if you count Wikipedia) forums.

(does it?)

fontis
September 23rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I've been permabanned from a couple of forums.

Most recently I was permabanned from a politics forum filled with "supposed" left-wingers. You know how it is... when people can't defend their stance with sound arguments, they refer to power abuse :)

EDIT:
And for the record, it's called football, not soccer! :P

OrangeCrate
September 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I've been permabanned from a couple of forums.

Most recently I was permabanned from a politics forum filled with "supposed" left-wingers. You know how it is... when people can't defend their stance with sound arguments, they refer to power abuse :)

EDIT:
And for the record, it's called football, not soccer! :P

Are you sure it's not called hockey?

:)

exploder
September 23rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
I have had a couple of warnings on forums in the past. Looking back, I probably deserved them. I guess I have learned to be more respectful on various forums these days.

Sableyes
September 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
Yes once because of a translation issue >.<

No offense was ever intended, but Americans find some words highly offensive that Brits don't.

forrestcupp
September 23rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Which brings up a another question -- how many of us have returned to the scene of our crimes in another persona?
If you did that here, they would catch you because of your IP address. There have been a lot of people caught here trying to do that. I'm sure there may have been some who kept a low profile and got by with it though.

vexorian
September 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
I was an admin once , and I also circunvented bans before. I dealt with enough bans in both sides of the story that I know that while most people would try to relogging to a site using the same IP address - There are people who know that it is trivial to change it or to use a proxy, or etc.

In a case of someone with mild internet knowledge, whether (s)he stays in a forum or not is his/her decision and not the admins' :). The only exception would be if the site requires you to pay a fee to enter and thus banning you would make you need to pay the fee again or if the site is invite-only.

Lucradia
September 23rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yep, I have, five or so times.

MG&TL
September 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I have done some pretty dumb things during my time here and, appropriately, got my wrist slapped.

Nothing ban-worthy though, and I like to think I've improved.

Buntu Bunny
September 23rd, 2012, 11:26 PM
Nope. Which begs the question, what about rugby?

Gremlinzzz
September 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM
:popcorn:No
or maybe