PDA

View Full Version : getting it off ones chest

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM
OK I just needed to vent, but Kies on an iMac is the must infuriating piece of rubbish that could be inflicted on mankind, I hate it, hate it I say, t'is evil for sure.

mr john
September 21st, 2012, 04:40 AM
What do you need it for? Kies came with one of my phones, but I never use it.

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2012, 04:41 AM
It's a Samsung product for managing Samsung Android devices or it's a conspiracy to get me.

BlinkinCat
September 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM
It's a Samsung product for managing Samsung Android devices or it's a conspiracy to get me.

My vote would be for a conspiracy to get you - ;)

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM
My vote would be for a conspiracy to get you - ;)

They don't know the power of the dark side ;)

mr john
September 21st, 2012, 04:57 AM
I prefer just to use a file manager to do that. Maybe Samsung want to become the next Skynet by accessing the files on your computer. Let's hope it doesn't "call home" lol.

StinkySQL
September 21st, 2012, 05:26 AM
I just set up three Windows 8 client machines at work. I feel the same way about them and that's a whole operating system. (It's why I installed Ubuntu at home the next day).

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2012, 05:31 AM
I prefer just to use a file manager to do that. Maybe Samsung want to become the next Skynet by accessing the files on your computer. Let's hope it doesn't "call home" lol.

The answer my friend is blow'n in the wind

Mikeb85
September 21st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Get an HTC. Over the air updates > Kies...

mbarland
September 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM
Get an HTC. Over the air updates > Kies...

Or better yet, a Nexus device. Gotta say I won't be going back to carrier screwed-with devices.

mamamia88
September 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Or better yet, a Nexus device. Gotta say I won't be going back to carrier screwed-with devices.

root the damn thing and be done with it.

aysiu
September 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Macbook Pro, and I am not using Kies. What is Kies for exactly?

CharlesA
September 21st, 2012, 07:36 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Macbook Pro, and I am not using Kies. What is Kies for exactly?
A quick google told me it was an app from Samsung that is supposed to sync your media/contacts/calendar/whatever between devices.

That sounds like a mess to me.

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

EDIT: I do not remember having it on my old Samsung smartphone.

alexfish
September 21st, 2012, 08:23 PM
OK I just needed to vent, but Kies on an iMac is the must infuriating piece of rubbish that could be inflicted on mankind, I hate it, hate it I say, t'is evil for sure.

Where did you put it ?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NX6ySmN0u3c/SeiNkCsmtuI/AAAAAAAAAdU/nj_Oi44NuWU/s320/Jedis.jpg

We come to fix it :p

KiwiNZ
September 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
Where did you put it ?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NX6ySmN0u3c/SeiNkCsmtuI/AAAAAAAAAdU/nj_Oi44NuWU/s320/Jedis.jpg

We come to fix it :p

Very cool :-)

aysiu
September 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM
A quick google told me it was an app from Samsung that is supposed to sync your media/contacts/calendar/whatever between devices.

That sounds like a mess to me.

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

EDIT: I do not remember having it on my old Samsung smartphone. I do all my syncing with my Google account to the cloud or with the iSyncr app wirelessly. Haven't found a need for Kies.

CharlesA
September 21st, 2012, 09:03 PM
I do all my syncing with my Google account to the cloud or with the iSyncr app wirelessly. Haven't found a need for Kies.
My stuff is synced with my google account too. I don't see a need for a third-party application when I can set my contacts/calendar/etc to be synced with my google account itself..

pelle.k
September 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM

Be glad you never had to use samsung's "pc companion" back in the days. What a horrible, horrible experience. And to top it off, the skin it used (as if everything else wasn't bad enough) sucked badly, as in who the hell in a position of authority wanted to associate Samsung with a "quality product" like this!? Since then i've avoided samsung products like the plague, which is too bad since the GS3 seems like a nice piece of hardware - i just can't trust samsung to do anything with software that i can stand to use.

BrianBlaze
September 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM
I don't mean to troll to hard so I will make this short and sweet.

Why would you have a MAC and not have an iPhone... I am not an apple lover by far but IMO the best thing to come out of apple is the iphone... especially since something as garbage as OSX came from them...

So assuming you have a MAC and like it then what are you thinking going to Android?

I am the worst kind of person, because I hate MAC but since I have people working on them around me I need to know them. I hate windows but since I can't play games without it I know them. I would never get a windows phone... at least up until todays date. I love Androids but I have a Jailbroken iPhone so to me they are incredibly similar and obviously there are a lot more chocices for android phones, some of them are just barly able to handle IceCream Cake or whatever the deserts they call their OS's are.

So I guess in the end I just really want a linux phone! UBUNTU MAKE A PHONE lol!

I had to let that out. Because the emphasis of all this is that so far I have not been impressed by any phone... Also Kies is the worse I tried to get it working with my gf's Samsung and it never worked...

CharlesA
September 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
I use Windows, but I have an Android phone...

What OS you use on your PC, has no effect on what OS you use on your phone.

Outside of iPhone = iTunes = Mac/Windows.

BrianBlaze
September 21st, 2012, 09:47 PM

I agree since I have an iphone but absolutly hate apple... It was free so I took it... I hope apple didn't make too much money from me getting a free iphone :P

fontis
September 22nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
You don't "need" to use Kies. You can find all firmware via samfirmare.com and they got the flashing programs for you to flash it as well. As for the media synch, just mount the phone as a storage device and just use your filebrowser to drag and drop what you need.

And for contacts etc, you can sync via the internetz~

There is nothing Kies does that you can't do yourself except for maybe fiddling with SamsungApps.
For the record, I think most firmware updates are done OTA anyway

Edit:
Oh and yes, Kies is right up there together with iTunes in the category of "FML what an annoying application that I'm forced to use"

cariboo
September 22nd, 2012, 04:01 AM

I use Ubuntu, and I have an Android phone and tablet. :), I also use Google for syncing data.

bcschmerker
September 22nd, 2012, 04:15 AM
Rather interesting issue that Android poses. I am investigating possible upgrade mobile devices to supersede a Motorola® W840, and the iPhone never came into the question, as metroPCS® does not support Apple® devices on their network. So far, neither Samsung® nor any other manufacturer has convinced me that any of their touchscreen models, Android or otherwise, can tolerate similar physical abuse to the W840's design requirements; even Corning® Gorilla Glass® II has its limits and I suspect it falls short of the military specification that drove the W840's engineering.

AllRadioisDead
September 22nd, 2012, 05:42 AM
I'm sorry, but what on earth possessed you to use Kies? Better yet, why aren't you running Cyanogenmod?

fontis
September 22nd, 2012, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry, but what on earth possessed you to use Kies? Better yet, why aren't you running Cyanogenmod?

I'm running Cyanogenmod on my SGS I9000. To be honest, I would rather run stock but since my device is "too old", Samsung doesnt provide the newer firmwares - so in my case, thanks to the amazing work of the CM team I can use ICS and soon JB without problems.

However, if I owned a SGS3, I would probably stick with stock for as long as I can. Stock roms are just better optimized with the hardware than custom roms are. And sadly, they will continue to be superior until the manufacturers release all the appropriate drivers so everything doesn't need to be reverse engineered all the time.

AllRadioisDead
September 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm running Cyanogenmod on my SGS I9000. To be honest, I would rather run stock but since my device is "too old", Samsung doesnt provide the newer firmwares - so in my case, thanks to the amazing work of the CM team I can use ICS and soon JB without problems.

However, if I owned a SGS3, I would probably stick with stock for as long as I can. Stock roms are just better optimized with the hardware than custom roms are. And sadly, they will continue to be superior until the manufacturers release all the appropriate drivers so everything doesn't need to be reverse engineered all the time.

I don't think you've tried the CM10 nightlies. From my experience with the i9000, and the i9100, the stock firmware is pretty terrible. It's full of bloatware and most of Samsung's tweaks (pop up video, S Voice, tilt to zoom, etc. are pretty useless. The stock Google experience that Cyanogenmod offers blows the stock software out of the water. I have several friends who own the GS3 and the first thing I did was put them on CM10 nightlies.

fontis
September 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I don't think you've tried the CM10 nightlies. From my experience with the i9000, and the i9100, the stock firmware is pretty terrible. It's full of bloatware and most of Samsung's tweaks (pop up video, S Voice, tilt to zoom, etc. are pretty useless. The stock Google experience that Cyanogenmod offers blows the stock software out of the water. I have several friends who own the GS3 and the first thing I did was put them on CM10 nightlies.

Nah, I haven't tried the CM10 nightlies. CM9.1 on my SGS is doing super as it is. Only two things I could whine about, first one being that there is no FM radio app - (can't believe they haven't ported the stock one yet) and second thing being the battery time isn't as good as stock - but it's negligible considering what you get for it aka ICS smooth as hell.

AllRadioisDead
September 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Nah, I haven't tried the CM10 nightlies. CM9.1 on my SGS is doing super as it is. Only two things I could whine about, first one being that there is no FM radio app - (can't believe they haven't ported the stock one yet) and second thing being the battery time isn't as good as stock - but it's negligible considering what you get for it aka ICS smooth as hell.

When I had the i9000 there was something preventing the phone from going into deep sleep when data when enabled, which had a pretty harsh impact on battery. That was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. If you're running CM9, you might as well update to CM10 because CM9 is pretty much obsolete now and the teams are focusing their efforts on 4.1

As for the FM Radio, I don't think Cyanogenmod ever had a native FM radio app. Stock Android certainly doesn't. The one used in previous versions was borrowed from Miui but who knows if they still support that.

Try this, it's by a fellow XDA member. If that doesn't work, then the functionality probably isn't working in 4.0+ roms.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mikersmicros.fm_li&hl=en

Try that.

fontis
September 22nd, 2012, 11:46 AM
When I had the i9000 there was something preventing the phone from going into deep sleep when data when enabled, which had a pretty harsh impact on battery. That was a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. If you're running CM9, you might as well update to CM10 because CM9 is pretty much obsolete now and the teams are focusing their efforts on 4.1

As for the FM Radio, I don't think Cyanogenmod ever had a native FM radio app. Stock Android certainly doesn't. The one used in previous versions was borrowed from Miui but who knows if they still support that.

Try this, it's by a fellow XDA member. If that doesn't work, then the functionality probably isn't working in 4.0+ roms.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mikersmicros.fm_li&hl=en

Try that.

Thanks for the link mate.
But in all honesty, I think the stock FM radio app for SGS is much better and cleaner. Btw I don't get why there isn't one by default anyway for free :s

AllRadioisDead
September 22nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the link mate.
But in all honesty, I think the stock FM radio app for SGS is much better and cleaner. Btw I don't get why there isn't one by default anyway for free :s

The default SGS app was done by Samsung. You won't be able to get that from an AOSP based rom.

KiwiNZ
September 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
I won't use custom ROMs until the factory warranty period has expired, my S3 is only 2 months old.

I just put Lies on Windows Laptop and it work well and does all the tasks asked of it.On my iMac it Kies will not connect to the S3 at all. I am tempted to buy a Macbook to see if it will connect.