PDA

View Full Version : How many of you want 128+ GB on your phone?

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 05:01 PM
How much would you pay to have your phone upgraded for double the storage (128GB)
And double the battery capacity (4200mAh)

I have a patent pending on a kit that would allow you do put a large battery, and a full sized SD card in your phone.

The result being double the storage, and double the battery over any phone on the market.

And I am just wondering what it would be worth to consumers, if anything.

Glencore
September 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Double battary life. Yes please! What's special about extra battary life though? We already have larger battaries, don't we?

e.g. http://bestbattery.biz/Samsung_Galaxy-S3_Battery.html

Extra storage? Think we have reached the point where we have more than enough, imho.

jrog
September 20th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Double battary life. Yes please! What's special about extra battary life though? We already have larger battaries, don't we?

e.g. http://bestbattery.biz/Samsung_Galaxy-S3_Battery.html

Extra storage? Think we have reached the point where we have more than enough, imho.
I feel the same way. I'd love, love, love double the battery life. The 128+ GB doesn't matter much to me at all, as I'd be unlikely to use it, at this point. (At some point in the future, though, I'm sure 128+ GB will be expected by many people.)

hakermania
September 20th, 2012, 05:20 PM
+1 for double batter life. Not interested in the extra space.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well, so far this project looks like a bad idea.

LOL

Thats what the poll is for.

The whole idea is a package deal, because extending the battery with a new extended cover, makes room for the adapter that allows for a full size SD card.

Glencore
September 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Well, so far this project looks like a bad idea.

LOL

Thats what the poll is for.

The whole idea is a package deal, because extending the battery with a new extended cover, makes room for the adapter that allows for a full size SD card.

Some people may like it, aren't the larger SD cards cheaper/faster also? So you could say your getting the same (or more) space for cheaper.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Some people may like it, aren't the larger SD cards cheaper/faster also? So you could say your getting the same (or more) space for cheaper.

Yeah, that was another thought.

SD cards will always be cheaper than their Micro counter parts, and they will always be available in larger sizes.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I originally did this for my self, because I wanted to have 128GB and more battery time.

But my buddy was egging me on this morning, telling me I should patent and sell it.

I was unsure if anyone besides myself would want such overkill, so I started this.

Glencore
September 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I originally did this for my self, because I wanted to have 128GB and more battery time.

But my buddy was egging me on this morning, telling me I should patent and sell it.

I was unsure if anyone besides myself would want such overkill, so I started this.

What would the start up costs be? It really depends on how many you will have to sell to break even.

Also another thing might be to see if anyone else would be interested in doing it. Passing a royalty fee to you ;) Assuming you get the patent.

thatguruguy
September 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have a patent pending on a kit that would allow you do put a large battery, and a full sized SD card in your phone.

You've already filed your patent application with the USPTO?

sffvba[e0rt
September 20th, 2012, 05:55 PM
+1 for more space and more battery life... BIG -1 for making my phone more bulky to achieve it however.

aysiu
September 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I think better battery life is the only way to go.

At this point, making bigger and bigger screens makes no sense. The Galaxy Note is already enormous for a phone. Phones now have processors that are akin to a fast netbook or slow laptop. For what a phone does, 1-2 GB of RAM is plenty. And there's only so thin you can make a phone before it's just too difficult to keep in your hand.

The funny thing is I had decent battery life on my old Android phone (HTC Glacier)--lasted from the morning until late at night--and terrible battery life on my new Android phone (Verizon Galaxy Nexus)--only about two hours of on-screen time, maybe ten hours with the screen off. My wife's iPhones have always last longer than my Android phones, but she still complains about battery life. Everyone I know (except maybe people with a Droid Razr Maxx) complains about smartphone battery life.

Whichever company can make their smartphones last significantly longer (not just a few hours or longer but a few days or weeks longer) will definitely have a huge advantage over its competititors.

robtygart
September 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I don't see myself paying that much for a phone. I paied $40 for mine and its more then I need.

There is always Ubuntu For Andriod, with the dock to hook to your television with keyboard and mouse, a desktop computer on your phone the extra space would be nice. I agree with having memory cards would be easier to keep and backup data, but 128G is really not that much so why not..

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM
You've already filed your patent application with the USPTO?

I filled out a bunch of forms, and have a lawyer taking care of it.

He's a friend of mine, so no bill. Which is always good.

I'm sure if this were to take off, I would have to cut him in though.

thatguruguy
September 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I filled out a bunch of forms, and have a lawyer taking care of it.

He's a friend of mine, so no bill. Which is always good.

I'm sure if this were to take off, I would have to cut him in though.

I assumed that something like this was the case. Just so you know, it's illegal to claim that something is "patent pending" unless the patent application is on file in the USPTO.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I assumed that something like this was the case. Just so you know, it's illegal to claim that something is "patent pending" unless the patent application is on file in the USPTO.

I'm pretty sure it is "Patent Pending"

But either way, this is a conversation, not a sale listing, or advertisement.

So I think its safe to assume I'm not going to prison, if he has not filed everything yet.

mamamia88
September 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
no offense but how can you patent something where all you are doing is taking stuff that is already available on the market, combining it, and then selling it as a bundle?

thatguruguy
September 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it is "Patent Pending"

But either way, this is a conversation, not a sale listing, or advertisement.

So I think its safe to assume I'm not going to prison, if he has not filed everything yet.

Actually, it's a fine, not imprisonment. I was giving you free advice; you're certainly entitled to do with said advice whatever you'd like.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 07:30 PM
no offense but how can you patent something where all you are doing is taking stuff that is already available on the market, combining it, and then selling it as a bundle?

First, thanks again for helping me find the adapter that will make this possible.

If this were to take off, I would gladly share a piece of the pie.

Though, from the looks of this forum, there is no market for such a kit.

And as for your question, this is exactly how most patents are.

New items are rarely invented.

Its almost always about throwing existing items together.

If you take apart a pocket knife, and replace one of the blades with a flash drive, that is a new invention, and you can patent it. (Despite the fact that all you did was put 2 pre-existing items together)

Someone owns the patent for a solar cell phone charger.

Did they invent the solar panel, or the power converter, or power connector?
No, they just put it all together.

mamamia88
September 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM
First, thanks again for helping me find the adapter that will make this possible.

If this were to take off, I would gladly share a piece of the pie.

Though, from the looks of this forum, there is no market for such a kit.

And as for your question, this is exactly how most patents are.

New items are rarely invented.

Its almost always about throwing existing items together.

If you take apart a pocket knife, and replace one of the blades with a flash drive, that is a new invention, and you can patent it. (Despite the fact that all you did was put 2 pre-existing items together)

Someone owns the patent for a solar cell phone charger.

Did they invent the solar panel, or the power converter, or power connector?
No, they just put it all together.true but you are literally taking stuff that you buy and bundeling them. I can buy an xbox, a car battery, and an hdtv and sell them to somebody who wants to play xbox while camping but doesn't mean i have the right to patent it. I'm sure you could sell the kit on ebay or something for a few bucks over face value but it probably wouldn't be worth your time. extended batteries aren't anything new and most people don't need that much space in their phones. if you want to do it for yourself then by all means go for it. hopefully the android filesystem will recognize all 128gb.

afulldeck
September 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM
I'd pay for longer battery life, if the battery stays roughly the same size, but I'm not interested in more diskspace on the phone. Its just too small for it to be useful to me...screen is too small.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
true but you are literally taking stuff that you buy and bundeling them. I can buy an xbox, a car battery, and an hdtv and sell them to somebody who wants to play xbox while camping but doesn't mean i have the right to patent it. I'm sure you could sell the kit on ebay or something for a few bucks over face value but it probably wouldn't be worth your time. extended batteries aren't anything new and most people don't need that much space in their phones. if you want to do it for yourself then by all means go for it. hopefully the android filesystem will recognize all 128gb.

Yeah, it probably is a bust.

But what you said about the Xbox, and car battery...

If you include all of the necessary connectors, adapters, and hardware, in a nice neat bundle, you can absolutely patent it and sell it as a portable xbox kit.

You can patent idea's, not just inventions.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'd pay for longer battery life, if the battery stays roughly the same size, but I'm not interested in more diskspace on the phone. Its just too small for it to be useful to me...screen is too small.

I was thinking more along the lines of having a 128GB external hard drive that you never forget at home.

drmrgd
September 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM
With faster and faster networks and cheaper and more available cloud storage solutions, there's really no need to lug data around like that. Not to mention that the number of people who would need that much data is going to be quite small, I would imagine. There would certainly be some who find a use for it, I'm sure. But, for most, it's a non-issue.

If you want to make some big coin with an invention, find a way to increase cell signal and call clarity. Every innovation for cell phones is how to increase the multimedia capabilities, while reception is still terrible most places. I actually find it quite funny that this generation has become so used to saying "what was that...you're breaking up" or something along those lines, that poor cell reception is just considered normal. I wouldn't spend a dime on more multimedia capabilities. But, I would spend a considerable amount more for a phone that has reliable reception and good call clarity!

Lightstar
September 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Yes for the battery.
Storage space, no use, I'd rather pay less and have less.
I'm barely able to fill my 16gb phone right now.

cbanakis
September 20th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I'm calling my buddy, and scrapping the whole patent thing.

Not sure if he filed anything, but I'd prefer to back out before it ends up costing money.

Looks like this idea is just going to be limited to myself, and a few friends.

Maybe I'll assemble everything, and throw it on ebay to see what happens, but thats probably it.

I'm just glad I will have a 128GB phone, and that the battery will easily last an entire day, or more.

thatguruguy
September 21st, 2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah, it probably is a bust.

But what you said about the Xbox, and car battery...

If you include all of the necessary connectors, adapters, and hardware, in a nice neat bundle, you can absolutely patent it and sell it as a portable xbox kit.

You can patent idea's, not just inventions.

You can't patent something obvious.

mr john
September 21st, 2012, 04:45 AM
My phone cost less than $80, so if I wanted to double the battery life I could just buy the same phone again or a new battery for hopefully musch less than the cost of the phone. There are also extender batteries available. It has Android, a capacitive screen, GPS and all the usual apps. The only downside is that the screen is a bit small but that means that it fits better in my pocket. I put Cyanogen on it and that speeded things up alot.

And extra few GB would be ok, but I think 128gb would be overkill for me. I'm learning spanish and have all my mp3 and video lessons on my phone, some music and alot of photos. I normally take the photos off it every once in a while so that I have a backup and that usually clears alot of space.

cbanakis
September 21st, 2012, 06:22 AM
You can't patent something obvious.

I do believe Apple managed to patent a rectangular shape with rounded corners.

Just saying

Paqman
September 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
I do believe Apple managed to patent a rectangular shape with rounded corners.

Actually they didn't, trade dress is different from patents.

You indeed cannot patent anything obvious, where they mean "obvious to an expert in that field". Combining a battery and storage into a case would IMO be very obvious. You'd need to have some novel inventive step in the product that could be patented, such as a novel method of making it.

warm cardigan
September 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
I was unsure if anyone besides myself would want such overkill

I love this idea, personally. I think you should go for it. :)