PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Made A Complete Fool Of Yourself ?

BlinkinCat
September 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hi all,

As the title asks - have you ever made a complete fool of yourself - either in these forums or elsewhere ?

Have a look at my clanger in #6 of this thread -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2059887

I thought I was being helpful but why I should completely mix up "Close Thread" and "Mark as Solved" I will never know. The O.P. correctly asked for the moderators to close the thread but then I had to go and stick my nose in where it was not needed.

My apologies to the O.P. - :oops:

Have any of you found yourself in a similar situation of embarrassment ?

Fortunately although I may be lacking a little in grey matter, I have been blessed with two children who are well endowed in that area.

End of confession - walking off with his tail between his legs - :(

Elfy
September 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Of course I have :)

KiwiNZ
September 20th, 2012, 07:16 AM
everyday but we blame joeb454

BlinkinCat
September 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Of course I have :)

Thanks gents - that makes me feel a little better -
I put it down to a momentary lapse of reason - :)

Elfy
September 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
So did Pink Floyd :)

BlinkinCat
September 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
So did Pink Floyd :)

I really was on the dark side of the moon - :guitar:

prshah
September 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
There was that one time when I wanted to bump the thread, but instead of clicking "new reply" I clicked "report abuse" and just wrote the word "bump" and posted it.

The moderator who handled it was very nice about it though; bumped it anyway, and didn't send me a rocket.

forrestcupp
September 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

As the title asks - have you ever made a complete fool of yourself - either in these forums or elsewhere ?

Have a look at my clanger in #6 of this thread -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2059887

I thought I was being helpful but why I should completely mix up "Close Thread" and "Mark as Solved" I will never know. The O.P. correctly asked for the moderators to close the thread but then I had to go and stick my nose in where it was not needed.

My apologies to the O.P. - :oops:

Have any of you found yourself in a similar situation of embarrassment ?

Fortunately although I may be lacking a little in grey matter, I have been blessed with two children who are well endowed in that area.

End of confession - walking off with his tail between his legs - :(
Awe, man! I just read that other post, and I was getting ready to go try it out. I was kind of excited about finding out we have that kind of power. :)

BlinkinCat
September 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
There was that one time when I wanted to bump the thread, but instead of clicking "new reply" I clicked "report abuse" and just wrote the word "bump" and posted it.

The moderator who handled it was very nice about it though; bumped it anyway, and didn't send me a rocket.

Sounds like a story not entirely dissimilar to mine.

Awe, man! I just read that other post, and I was getting ready to go try it out. I was kind of excited about finding out we have that kind of power. :)

You certainly sound excited - hmmm...

BlinkinCat
October 23rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Hi all,

After four weeks of apparent normality, I have done it again. i.e. I have made a complete fool of myself on these forums. This one is a real doozie - For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, I won't repeat it as it is simply too embarrassing.

This one may be the one that tips the scales in my decision to play a far less active part in the operations of the forums. It is a fact that my technical knowledge as well as my mental capacity is very limited. I have tried to contribute here and there in a small way but maybe I should simply disappear.

The rather hilarious situation of yesterday resulted from me trying to be amusing - amusing is right, to the extent that I could be seen as a laughing-stock. Maybe it's time for me to just pull my horns in and not go all-out.

Ah well - I guess life just goes on.

Cheers - :P

mamamia88
October 23rd, 2012, 04:20 AM
This weekend we where rebuilding the porch. Well i was not doing much and started to lean back against the railing and the whole thing went down with me and my dog was in the backyard to give me kisses. Needless to say that was pretty embarrassing.

BlinkinCat
October 23rd, 2012, 04:26 AM
This weekend we where rebuilding the porch. Well i was not doing much and started to lean back against the railing and the whole thing went down with me and my dog was in the backyard to give me kisses. Needless to say that was pretty embarrassing.

lol - Thanks for that mamamia88 - I was taking myself a little too seriously for a little while there - :P

QIII
October 23rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
Ah. What would life be if you were old and gray and couldn't sit around with your wife and say "Remember when I ..."?

Trust me. When what little hair you have left is gray, those embarrassing things will not seem very important. In fact, you will let go and just start doing stuff that would have mortified you when you were young.

There is a reason we are called "farty old men". You just stop caring about your pride and fart in the grocery store.

:)

BlinkinCat
October 23rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the words of wisdom Qlll - Believe me I am well and truly in the category of old and gray. - It's just that I thought we were supposed to get wiser with age - that is not happening in my case - :P

QIII
October 23rd, 2012, 05:01 AM
You become wise. It's just that in the next stage the brain farts and senior moments occur often enough to mask the wisdom!

forrestcupp
October 23rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

After four weeks of apparent normality, I have done it again. i.e. I have made a complete fool of myself on these forums. This one is a real doozie - For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, I won't repeat it as it is simply too embarrassing.

This one may be the one that tips the scales in my decision to play a far less active part in the operations of the forums. It is a fact that my technical knowledge as well as my mental capacity is very limited. I have tried to contribute here and there in a small way but maybe I should simply disappear.

The rather hilarious situation of yesterday resulted from me trying to be amusing - amusing is right, to the extent that I could be seen as a laughing-stock. Maybe it's time for me to just pull my horns in and not go all-out.

Ah well - I guess life just goes on.

Unless you did something so offensive that you're in danger of being banned, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes when I do something stupid, I'll majorly beat myself up for even the smallest things. The truth is that other people don't care nearly as much about these things as you do.

mips
October 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
I've done way worse in real life so this is kinda insignificant in the greater scale of things. I would not worry about it to much.

BlinkinCat
October 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Unless you did something so offensive that you're in danger of being banned, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes when I do something stupid, I'll majorly beat myself up for even the smallest things. The truth is that other people don't care nearly as much about these things as you do.

I've done way worse in real life so this is kinda insignificant in the greater scale of things. I would not worry about it to much.

Thanks kindly for your words of wisdom forrestcupp and mips, they help. Happily when I woke up this morning I did feel that a load had been moved from my shoulders. After all, the matter was hardly offensive - just embarrassing to me. As I said in an earlier post, life just goes on.

CharlesA
October 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM
What he said. ^

I screw up all the time. :|

Lucradia
October 24th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Of course I have, especially when I thought it was necessary to capitalize each word in a topic title.

BlinkinCat
October 24th, 2012, 12:33 AM
What he said. ^

I screw up all the time. :|

Of course I have, especially when I thought it was necessary to capitalize each word in a topic title.

Thanks CharlesA and Lucradia - I am feeling much more relieved today - good to know I am not on my own.

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2012, 01:17 AM
BlinkinCat, I looked through all your posts the last couple of days, and I sure didn't see anything that warrants this kind of self condemnation. Now you're going to have to tell me what it was that you thought was so bad.

BlinkinCat
October 24th, 2012, 01:40 AM
BlinkinCat, I looked through all your posts the last couple of days, and I sure didn't see anything that warrants this kind of self condemnation. Now you're going to have to tell me what it was that you thought was so bad.

Hi forrestcupp,

You know I have been scratching my head to find the thread in question but I just can't remember the name of it - anyway I was referring to a post of mine where I referred to some people (myself included perhaps?) thinking Kiwis were extinct - the bird in question of course was the dodo - I am ashamed to confess that in my eagerness to post what I thought may have been a humorous post all I succeeded in doing was to make a fool of myself as I actually did mentally get these two birds mixed up.

Anyway what is done is done and I am not worried about it any more.

Edit - shows how dull I am - actually forgot how to search for my own posts - :(

BlinkinCat
October 24th, 2012, 01:54 AM
I found it - In #24 of this thread -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072612

:)

Edit - Maybe I should mark this thread as solved soon and let it drift off into oblivion where it belongs - I am learning not to take myself so seriously.

SantaFe
October 24th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I just did a few minutes ago. :)

Ooops..... won't do that again. :guitar:

BlinkinCat
October 24th, 2012, 04:00 AM
I just did a few minutes ago. :)

Ooops..... won't do that again. :guitar:

Me neither - I will definitely remember that a kiwi is not an extinct bird for the rest of my life - :P

forrestcupp
October 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Hi forrestcupp,

You know I have been scratching my head to find the thread in question but I just can't remember the name of it - anyway I was referring to a post of mine where I referred to some people (myself included perhaps?) thinking Kiwis were extinct - the bird in question of course was the dodo - I am ashamed to confess that in my eagerness to post what I thought may have been a humorous post all I succeeded in doing was to make a fool of myself as I actually did mentally get these two birds mixed up.

Anyway what is done is done and I am not worried about it any more.

Edit - shows how dull I am - actually forgot how to search for my own posts - :(
I saw that post when you posted it, and I saw it when I searched through your posts to see what you were talking about. I really didn't think it was that big of a deal. Certainly not big enough of a deal to make you a laughingstock or cause you to need to leave the forums. ;)

That was just a pebble in the road, not something to get that embarrassed about. I'll bet the one guy who replied to you is the only one who even gave it a second thought.

stalkingwolf
October 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
a couple quotes , from whom i cant recall but they have been restated for many years, in many ways, and applied to many things.

" anyone who says they havent is either lieing or has never been any place or done anything."

The second is attributed to one of the Great Chiefs, " never regret growing old,it is a privilege denied many."

the Golden years,
CSS
CHS
CDS

PaulW2U
October 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Posts here are archived by Google within minutes. I'm going to tell the whole world of my failings? I don't think so. :)

BlinkinCat
October 25th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Hi and thanks to forrestcupp, stalkingwolf and PaulW2U for your comments.

I guess to me it was just one of those moments no doubt many of us have when we say something that we almost immediately regret and then are left up in the air with embarrassment.
If I had of been thinking quickly enough I could have jumped in with a further edit to cover up my mistake - trouble was I wasn't thinking quickly enough to do that.

Many thanks to all for the kind words. I wished to respond to the last three of you but now hopefully this thread will drift away after I mark it as solved.

lisati
October 25th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Me neither - I will definitely remember that a kiwi is not an extinct bird for the rest of my life - :P

Short clip, shot about 2002: http://youtu.be/j7D7J5uHWJE

lisati
October 25th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Thread closed by request of OP