PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changes to USB install files

N6SXR
September 19th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I have been trying to get my Dell b43 wireless device up and running. Been a LONG time since I played with Linux/Unix. Anyway, I have tried to follow a lot of the great help concerning installing the b43 legacy drivers and getting the wireless device up and running. One thing I noticed was that after installing files specified, and they were there after the install, that after a reboot, as suggested, they are gone. I currently have the install on a USB thumb drive and am wondering if I need to do the install to disk to get this working properly. I am using 12.04.1. I did try the software update as suggested but it gave some errors so I am wondering if this is an issue with the thumbdrive. I did not see any activity to the drive.

I am thinking it is not possible to do these updates while running from the USB drive.

Any help is appreciated.

Kirk - N6SXR

windscape
September 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Hi,

For files to persist after a reboot when using a Live USB drive, you need to create a persistence partition. The details for doing this vary depending on the utility used to get the image onto the USB drive. I used usb-creator from another Linux distribution that I moved from to Xubuntu to create a persistence partition. I'm not sure if there is a utility that can do the same on Windows.

Edit #1
If you have a second USB drive, you could use usb-creator in Ubuntu to create another Ubuntu Live USB drive with a persistence partition.

N6SXR
September 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks! That does explain a lot. Not that I fully understand it quite yet but it does help. I bit the bullet and went ahead and made a dual boot system on my laptop. I only really use it for my ham radio stuff so it is not super critical. I suspect I will have better luck doing it this way.

Thanks again.

kirk - N6SXR