PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Docky crash when I install updates

claracc
September 19th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Using ubuntu 12.04, gnome fallback desktop in a hpcompaq 6720s.

Each time I install the updates for the system, docky crashes.
I obtain an error report and send the report file to ubuntu, system asks for oppening again docky, I do, and all the system back to work normally.

Is there any workaround?
Is someone experiencing the same problem?
Is there any other simple and low resources dock to use with gnome fallback without experiencing weird crashes?

Thanks in advance.

claracc
September 20th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Bump...

Any suggestion?

mpmistr
September 21st, 2012, 12:36 AM
Not sure but when I used 12.04 + Docky I had a lot of random crashes and was never able to resolve it.

Could try Cairo Dock or AWN but I too enjoy Docky a bit more since it's simple.

claracc
September 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks for answering.

Since my graphics card doesn't work well with compiz, I have:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) (rev 0c)

I use metacity instead, and I have enable compositing in it. Is it possible to use cairo dock or awn as docks with metacity?

Krytarik
September 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
I use metacity instead, and I have enable compositing in it. Is it possible to use cairo dock or awn as docks with metacity?
Yes, as long as compositing is enabled.

Regards.

claracc
September 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I think I will try cairo-dock instead docky.

I have been using docky for two years in 10.04 and worked perfectly.

claracc
September 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
For the three past days I have been installing updates without any docky crash¿¿??.

Perhaps some of the received updates have fixed the problem???.

I will observe the behavior of docky related to updates installation in the next days and will come back for adding information