PDA

View Full Version : So are you really dissapointed by dapper?

givré
June 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
After reading this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205260 , i'd like to know the real amount of people who are dissapointed by dapper.
We read a lot of things about that, but what you really think all?

EDIT: some explanation about A bit dissapointed at beginning: it's for the people who expected A LOT for dapper, and who finally don't think it's much better than breezy

douga
June 29th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Not disappointed at all. After working with several distros that were either a pain to configure or overly bloated, I find that I'm perfectly happy with Dapper. I just wanted a distribution where everything works with a minimum of configuration, and I got one. So...no disappointment here.

tsb
June 29th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Not disappointed, but I'm glad I discoverd MEPIS is much better IMO.

John.Michael.Kane
June 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Not disappointed. dapper is solid on the hardware i run.

fuscia
June 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
it's hard for me to tell. i installed breezy on my old desktop, when i was a linux newb, and i bought a laptop from system76 which came with dapper installed for me. my laptop rocks so much more, but that might be just as due to it being a new machine and someone else doing the installation. the new default theme is much prettier than the old one.

izmaelis
June 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Ubuntu never dissapoints me. That's why it is my GNU/Linux of choice and primary OS for almost a year.

ericesque
June 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I voted rock solid. I was a bit disapointed at first because I was having issues here and there. But that install had been going long before dapper was stable. It also was subject to a lot of experimentation on my part to get wireless and 3d accel going.

I reinstalled a few days ago and it cleared up all issues I'd been having. I'm more than happy with it and can't seem to get enough. When you realize how much freedom there is to customize the look and functionality of the OS, you begin to realize how restrictive Windows is. I still like XP... but I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to boot it up.

Engnome
June 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
No I don't understand the people who say dapper is "broken" To me breezy was alot worse. It crashed on me constantly and was annoying as hell but now with dapper everything "just works" works smoothly as h%##!

dada1958
June 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Dapper Drake is running happily on 3 machines here.

Jucato
June 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I voted "A bit disappointed in the beginning" but I have to clarify.
1. My first disappointment was the painful process of updating from Breezy to Dapper. This being my first distro and first dist-upgrade experience, I was expecting a lot because of some scattered statements that Linux (in general, not specifically Ubuntu) is easier to upgrade. Anyway, that disappointment passed away when I decided to make a fresh install.
2. My second disappointment came when the updates to the kernel were made available. It just doesn't work. No matter what solution I tried, I couldn't get a fully functional 2.6.15-25 kernel. That worst part is that it seems that I'm the only one who experienced that problem, and still didn't get it solved. I'm happy that others got their problems fixed, but that doesn't really do anything for my own problem. Of course, I could just run the older 2.6.15-23 kernel, but my system will be less secure because of that.

But the disappointments end there. In terms of a KDE distro, Dapper is, in many ways, much better and faster than Breezy. Of course, having KDE 3.5.3 (Breezy is stuck with KDE 3.5.2) also helps a lot. However, I'm still in search of the distro that will really suite me. And MEPIS is next in line to be tested. :p

nrwilk
June 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Solid. Rock Solid.

I don't see any of the bugs I saw with Breezy. But, I have pretty standard hardware.

graigsmith
June 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
i like it, it's great.

though, the default icon theme is UGLY. bright orange is not a good theme.

the original brown was much better. it was muted. but that's ok.

ember
June 29th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm disappointed enough not to run it. Now that may improve when kernel 2.6.17 is backported and my USB is finally up to its former speed - yet I'm disappointed, because Dapper is the least working of all Ubuntus for me.

jeffreyvergara.NET
June 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
the only thing i'm dissapointed in Dapper is that I'm having a hang problem every startup (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200917)
... no problem in Breezy. But overall Dapper is good

guine
June 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Im giving dapper one last chance. I tried the upgrade earlier and that worked fine for close to a week and then things started falling apart before dapper completely crashed and burned. The first problem I had was firefox crashing more than internet explorer. Then one day dapper just refused to boot after having worked before with me only having checked email when I booted my computer up the time before(so Im reasonably certain that I did nothing to break it). Now that I did a fresh install Im only able to visit one website and then I lose internet, heres the thread incase anyones interested/has an idea how to fix this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1195537#post1195537
If I cant fix this soon I may have to go back to suse and see if they support my ethernet card again.

DR_K13
June 29th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I am quite happy, even my wireless works now.

OneSeventeen
June 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM
What's funny is it actually was great at the beginning, and now I'm having a few issues... such as being able to connect to wireless networks painlessly, yet not being able to browse the web on those wireless networks.

Then again, I do have a non-standard laptop, so we'll see what happens. (and this only started about a week ago, before that it hopped from network to network fine)

Overall, it has blown me away. I even have compiz/xgl running on an ati-powered widescreen laptop!!

Great job guys!

Now to open-source/decriminalize DVD/mp3/wmv playback! (and we might as well find a free source of ice-skates for when hell freezes over...)

jnev
June 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM
rock solid for me... I started with hoary, awesome OS, first time I really could do stuff in linux without booting back into windows every half-hour. then reinstalled breezy when it came out (dist-upgrade broke X) and it was even better. now I dist-upgraded to dapper (worked this time) and am even happier. ubuntu rocks!

Rackerz
June 29th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I'm completely happy with Dapper, but I was dissapointed at first because their was some problems and I couldn't get some stuff working. I haven't booted Ubuntu in a while but I'm sure it's safe to say the issues I had have been dealt with.

G Morgan
June 29th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Now to open-source/decriminalize DVD/mp3/wmv playback! (and we might as well find a free source of ice-skates for when hell freezes over...)

The patent on MP3's runs out in the US in a few years anyway IIRC so very soon MP3 will be open. Anyway the patent holder says they are happy with FLOSS use anyway so its not a huge problem.

Anyway bar an issue with the new kernel that was solved the next day (couldn't shutdown without shutdown -h now at a terminal) with an update I've been quitely pleased. The updated repositories have to be considered a boon and generally I find it more efficient.

bruce89
June 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
The patent on MP3's runs out in the US in a few years anyway IIRC so very soon MP3 will be open. Anyway the patent holder says they are happy with FLOSS use anyway so its not a huge problem.
Ach, it's produces rubbish audio quality anyway. Just use Vorbis, as it is a lot better (Only applies to new tracks though).

brentoboy
June 29th, 2006, 09:50 PM
A bit, but I really really like it.

It is a major step forward. It is a larger step than the ones from warty to hoarty to breezy.

We acutally have a brown color scheme with some life in it, it is nice.

It's really starting to look polished.

but, it isnt what I expected. it is certainly the best linux distro I have ever used, and the only one running on the PCs in my home.

I always figured that in order to be a vista alternative (which was its original plan) it would need to have strong wireless options that just work. Looking at the edgy plans thus far, it looks like we still wont have them then. Wireless headaches have been my biggest issue with ubuntu since warty.

wblancqu
June 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Well, I must say, I truly love ubuntu. Dapper seems great, the only pain in the *** here is I have the keyboard issue from Acer laptops (due to smart battery support). Repeating or skipping letters is really annoying, certainly when I'm programming. So what did I do, I tried something else, FC5. I must say FC5 is a great and complete distro, but no battery support for my acer, which I did have in Dapper (but have to turn off because of the keyboard). Now that my exams are finished, I went back to Dapper. I couldn't stand the loooooooooooooong waiting with Yum. Just love the apt-getting stuff. So easy. So guys, keep up the good work, hope you'll fix the keyboard issues soon...

Overall, GREAT distro !

gabrielp
June 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I am dissapointed by the inability to shutdown the system ,its
a published bug and very annoying,Hope it is solved soon ,
My desktop has asus p5gd2-x mobo
Gabi