PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia 6200- can't run compiz to save my life...other hardware suggestions?

Bullpen
September 18th, 2012, 09:34 PM
As title states, I have done everything I can think of to install the proper drivers to enable desktop effects.
System/administration/nvidia x server settings shows that the 304.43 version of the nvidia driver is installed, BUT,
System/admin/hardware drivers shows that no proprietary drivers are in use on this system.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest a pci video card that is *not* prone to a host of glitches, problems, anomalies, whatever.

I would just like something that will run compiz/desktop cube. Surely there is one that is fairly predictable?

kaytrance
September 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
As title states, I have done everything I can think of to install the proper drivers to enable desktop effects.
System/administration/nvidia x server settings shows that the 304.43 version of the nvidia driver is installed, BUT,
System/admin/hardware drivers shows that no proprietary drivers are in use on this system.

I would be grateful if someone could suggest a pci video card that is *not* prone to a host of glitches, problems, anomalies, whatever.

I would just like something that will run compiz/desktop cube. Surely there is one that is fairly predictable?
Have you tried Nouveau driver?

Bullpen
September 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I don't know if I have or not. Can you please advise on how I might do that?

Uh, never mind. I think I found the tutorial. Short of following the 693 step guide just to get this thing to work, is there some suggested hardware that just...uh...works?

I know that's a lot to ask, but judging by the threads about the trials folks have gone thru to try to get these nvidia cards to work, it would seem a good bit easier to get some more compliant hardware.